mtbr member

Must ride trail in Bend/Redmond area

Hi guys/gals-

I'm coming down to Redmond, OR to spend a long weekend (Fri-Mon) tomorrow with the in-laws. They mentioned I should bring my mountain bike to check out the area. I've never been there and was wondering if I could get a must-ride trail or two around the area. I understand Bend is very close to Redmond so that may work because I could spend the morning/afternoon biking and meet the family afterwards in Bend.

I'd rate myself as an intermediate rider who sticks to local blue and black (not downhill) trails if that helps recommend an area to check out.

Nat
    mtbr member
    There is a ton of riding to be had, although with this heat I'd recommend heading up to higher elevation and be finished by noon. It will be very dusty down low.

One of my favorite trails is Metolius/Windigo. You could start at the Dutchman trailhead (20 minutes west of Bend, across from Mt. Bachelor) and do an out-and-back, which will simplify navigation. If you go to the Broken Top trail intersection and back it would be around ten miles with some climbing.

If you want more than that, continue down Met/Win to Happy Valley, then turn around. The three miles to Happy Valley are some of the best "classic" (aka, not flow-trail) descending in the area. Total would be around 16 miles with a good bit of climbing.

Bring insect repellent.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Nat!

Afric Pepperbird
    Park at the Skyliner TH; Head up Tumalo Creek, then up (yes, up) South Fork, then head west to Flagline Tie. Zoom over to the Ridge Loop Trail, catch the Swampy Lakes trail to the S.S.T trail, meander through Sector 16, head down Upper Whoops, and get on the final leg, the Skyliner's Trail, back to the Skyliner TH.

They all can be found here:

https://bendtrails.org/trails-centra...end-trail-map/

I no longer live in the area, but this was, for some reason, my favorite, go-to ride in the area. I never got sick of it.

mtbr member
    Are trails in the area (or more specifically the ones you mention) marked on the trail?

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    Are trails in the area (or more specifically the ones you mention) marked on the trail?
    All of the area trails are well marked. They look like this:

mtbr member
    Wow. Awesome. Thanks.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Be aware that some of the sign posts have deteriorated or may be missing. If you buy a hardcopy trail map I believe it shows the post numbers for cross-reference. The Bendtrails.org map in Dirt Farmer's link will show your exact location on the trail if you allow it to read your access your phone gps but it doesn't give as much situational info (i.e., elevation, topography, seasonal closures, etc.) as a paper map.

Dirt Farmer's suggested route is really good. If you go on the weekend there will likely be a lot of other trail traffic (bike and foot) especially on Tumalo Creek trail, so keep your eyes up and ears open. Tumalo Creek has poor lines of sight along much of the way.

mtbr member
    OK. I'll probably rent a bike since it'll be cheaper than the gas saved from my truck's bad gas mileage on the 5.5 hour drive (taking the wife's car). I'll see if I can buy a map from wherever I rent.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Pine Mountain Sports rents bikes:

https://pinemountainsports.com/renta...-bike-rentals/

mtbr member
    Cog Wild (just upstairs from Pine Mountain) does shuttles and tours. I did their Bachelor to Bend guided ride on my first visit there several years ago - the Phil's network can be intimidating.

Most of the shuttle routes are really easy to do yourself; get someone to take you up Century Drive to Dutchman or Swampy or Wanoga and then off you go. If you can pull that off you could ride from Dutchman up Met-Win through Happy Valley and then descend Mrazek all the way into Shevlin or break off on the road and connect to the middle of the Phil's system.

Some trails aren't as well marked as others. The route from Swampy Lakes trailhead to the shelter for example is signed more for cross-country skiers and doesn't have the waist-to-shoulder-high COTA signs that are so prevalent elsewhere.

Adventure Maps are great. So is the Trailforks app.

mtbr member
    Hmmmm. That's another idea.

mtbr member
    tbmaddux, the Bachelor to Bend is getting me thinking. Do you think it's too hot there now to enjoy that tour? I'm afraid of being in 90 degree weather for a full day.

If I go solo, I have the Trailforks app. I love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    Do you think it's too hot there now to enjoy that tour?
    Not sure. I'd call Cog Wild and see what they think. From what I've seen they shape the tour depending on the group, conditions, what trails are open...

Nat
    mtbr member
    The forecast shows upper 80s this weekend. I think you'd be fine riding Bachy-to-Bend. I'd start early anyway. Probably 3-4 hours ride time to start at Dutchman parking lot > Flagline Tie > Metolius/Windigo > Happy Valley > Mrazek > end at Shevlin Park.

mtbr member
    Upper 80's isn't too bad. I arrived here last night. Wow. I dig it down here!

I'm still debating spending $75 for a "tour" with Cog Wild for 3 hours. I also didn't realize that the Bend trail network doesn't seem overly black run dominant/technical/etc. I could probably figure this out myself pretty easily with the Trailforks app.

If anyone is riding Sat (I might go Sunday, early, too) and wants a partner, I'd be happy to join.

Thanks for all the info on the trails. Much appreciated everyone!

Nat
    mtbr member
    If you have some experience navigating trails on your own you could probably figure it out yourself. On Saturday and Sunday there will be plenty of other riders out who could point you in the right direction if necessary.

One option is to get a shuttle ride with Cogwild up to Dutchman sno-park. They'd drop you off and you would find your own way down to Bend. I think that's only $15.

The trail forks app is good as is the Bendtrails.org website, on which if you click on their map it will pinpoint your location.

Edit: Are you wanting a more technical route? If so, you should start at the Wanoga sno-park then descend Funner (my favorite), Tiddlywinks, or Tyler's Traverse. Then make your way over to C.O.D. trail back towards town.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    If you have some experience navigating trails on your own you could probably figure it out yourself. On Saturday and Sunday there will be plenty of other riders out who could point you in the right direction if necessary.

One option is to get a shuttle ride with Cogwild up to Dutchman sno-park. They'd drop you off and you would find your own way down to Bend. I think that's only $15.

The trail forks app is good as is the Bendtrails.org website, on which if you click on their map it will pinpoint your location.

Edit: Are you wanting a more technical route? If so, you should start at the Wanoga sno-park then descend Funner (my favorite), Tiddlywinks, or Tyler's Traverse. Then make your way over to C.O.D. trail back towards town.
    Nat, I'm going to take your route. It took a couple of shops to find a rental available but all shops told me to do pretty much what you're saying. I also asked a server at Crux Brewery (*highly* recommended, btw) and he said to make sure I hit Funner. I'm looking for a challenge and going all the way out to Dutchman starts me on a very mellow course for awhile.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nice. Funner braids and returns back together. Stay to the left on every split and you'll hit all the drops. To me more rad and fun than technical. The right hand side of one of them is the only thing I haven't hit yet.

The bottom of Funner ends in a kinda confusing junction with Storm King and the bottom of Tiddlywinks.