Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: must ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

must ride

if you were planning a trip to oregon for approx 6-7 days and you wanted to ride everyday until your legs were cooked, what would be the 6-7 trails that are must ride? is there enough in the bend area to sustain such a trip? any info would be greatly appreciated

it means 'no problem'
    That really depends on how long it takes for your legs to be cooked!

Yes, Bend could support such an endeavor:

Smith Rock / Gray Butte
    Ochocos
    McKenzie River Trail
    Cascade Lakes / Lava-Edison
    Newberry Rim trail
    2 solid days to ride half of the Bend Local name droppers

Hook up with Cog Wild so your time is well spent on the best stuff.

Within two hours of Bend:
    Definitely Oakridge (AT LEAST three solid days riding there, Just do MBO)
    Umpqua Trail (80 miles)
    Fremont Nat'l Trail if you've got the moxy (175 miles)

Time of year matters, too. Some of the above best between July - October.

Good luck.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    In regards to Bend, I'll bite my tongue and just say...There is more to Oregon than just Bend.

I'd spend a little time around Hood River, worth at least 1-2 days.

Oakridge is a must, worth at least 2 days.

Last summer I made a trip out to Lagrande (Eastern Oregon). You most likely wont find much info on it, but it's pretty nice.

Looks like you are from Pennsylvania, If you're coming from that far away, you can't pass up Mt St Helens.

Here's a trip suggestion for you next summer...

Helens Fest over the weekend of 7/9 through 7/11 then split your time between Hood River and Bend midweek, then MBO the next weekend, 7/16 through 7/18. I don't think anybody could find a flaw in this trip, other than money.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan

Helens Fest over the weekend of 7/9 through 7/11 then split your time between Hood River and Bend midweek, then MBO the next weekend, 7/16 through 7/18. I don't think anybody could find a flaw in this trip, other than money.
    OHM nailed it. Personally I get tired of Bend's dust after a couple days, although there is some great stuff to ride there, and I absolutely love the town.

Slowdave, the time of year you come will have a lot to do with recommendations, so you might want to fill us in on that. Oregon's weather changes a lot from season to season, and the high country (ie the good stuff) might still be covered in snow when you arrive.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Tree Hugger

Sign me up!!!!
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    Dang!!! I may just them both myself.

meatier showers
    Dang!!! I may just them both myself.
    I would, except I'll be Puffin' 7/11.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I would, except I'll be Puffin' 7/11.

--Sparty
    I'd be at the Puff this year too, but already commited to helping at Helens Fest.

Still planning to get ya that email by the way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    wow, thanks for all the input, great start to planning. will probably be coming out in summer of'10 as one of the guys is a teacher, most likely july-august. have a friend in portland so would probably start there. my interest in bend has alot to do with Deschutes brewing love their stuff. also i'm guessing it would be a major haul to go ride the new Nocal trail Paradise. again thanks for all the info

it means 'no problem'
    I believe all Cog Wild tours include free Deschutes Brewery beer. There's five other brew pubs here, too.

It's really hard to go wrong anywhere in Oregon, there's tons of goods. It would take a lifetime... nevermind.

:-)

Enjoy your trip.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdave
    i'm guessing it would be a major haul to go ride the new Nocal trail Paradise. again thanks for all the info

It's 6+ hours to Paradise trails from Eugene. Add 1-2 hours for Portland and Bend. Subtract 2 hours for Ashland.

Deschutes Brewery is great, but when you come to Oregon, you have to try some of the options as well. There's too many good breweries around here for brand loyalty!
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    ... There's too many good breweries around here for brand loyalty!
    I'll drink to this. Seriously, I will. Deschutes is good stuff, but just wait 'til you try Eugene's Ninkasi or Oakshire... as Sas said, there are too many other awesome brews here to focus on one. Oregon... great beer everywhere. It's freakin' amazing.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

I got nothin'

Mmm...beeeerrrrrrr

When in Portland, stop by Hopwerks, all organic brew and a bike friendly place. I second the Ninkasi brew also. The PNW has the best beer, biking, and coffee.

From Portland you'll need to drive to the goods: Tillamook, Hood River, and St. Helens.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Don't forget Stevenson, WA. Access to the Old Man Pass/Falls Creek trails & Walking Man Brewery when the ride's over.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgedon
    Don't forget Stevenson, WA. Access to the Old Man Pass/Falls Creek trails & Walking Man Brewery when the ride's over.
    Damn we've got it good, don't we?

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    you guys are killing me with all this bike and beer info, wonder if i can get the wife and kids to move back to the west coast, thanks

mtbr member
    great trails...great beer I think we should pack up the families and just move Dave!

ronbo613
    I'll drink to this. Seriously, I will. Deschutes is good stuff, but just wait 'til you try Eugene's Ninkasi or Oakshire... as Sas said, there are too many other awesome brews here to focus on one. Oregon... great beer everywhere. It's freakin' amazing.
    Truer words have never been spoken.............

it means 'no problem'
    Ninkasi is awesome.

Also Terminal Gravity from Enterprise, now on tap in Bend at Brother Jon's Pub. :-)

I grew up in Philly and moved here 20 years ago. Now I'm a certified beer/bikes/coffee snob! Careful what you wish for.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Man... all the bases covered already. I'm in Portland or Eugene, depending on work and play, so when you get a better idea of your schedule, I can help with ideas.

Obviously Single

Coffe, yes ...

Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek
    When in Portland, stop by Hopwerks, all organic brew and a bike friendly place. I second the Ninkasi brew also. The PNW has the best beer, biking, and coffee.

From Portland you'll need to drive to the goods: Tillamook, Hood River, and St. Helens.
    Hydro: I agree on the coffee part ...
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Obviously Single

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by gorgedon
    I did that ride last summer for the first time. Sweet! And the trail is good, too.

(Thanks Don and Ron!)
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Crap!! I saw beer and had to bite here too. What a sucker.......
    Ya as Davey pointed out, tell us of the real dates and we'll fill ya in. If you really are from the east...or at least ridin' there now, I would understand the strong feeling for Deschutes. They have done their marketing well, and gotten themselves out east.....I'll give them that...but worth checking them out as part of the tour? probably not. They have a brew house in Portland now, check 'em out when you arrive and then start sampling what you don't get back home. WAY too many other breweries to do. OHMs ride schedule looks pretty appealing right about now.....man do we ever have it good here, but remember to only tell who you yourself would ride with .

Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    looks like we are shooting for july 12-20 which would mean we will sign up for MBO at oakridge that weekend, right now these dates look pretty solid, still can't believe my wife said yes so quickly
    and yes i know deshutes is not the only one out there but i have yet to find it in my corner of PA and i promise to do my best to imbibe as many beers as i can find from all above mentioned brewers

it means 'no problem'

Map of NW Brew Pubs

Here's a good website:

http://placemapper.com/maps/brewmap.htm

Difficult to say whether there's more trail heads for mountain biking than brew pubs in the NW or vice-versa.

Your dates are good but I'd warn you there will be mosquitoes in the high country, especially around the Cascade Lakes area. Waldo Lake (on the way between Bend and Oakridge) is an epic but you won't want to stop much to enjoy the scenery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast