mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Must-do rides near Portland?

So, I'll finally have some incentive to leave my current residence on the Central Coast of California (oh boy, not another one!) when my parents move to Portland. This will be my first time in the pacific northwest, so I'm wondering a few things so that I can make the most of it. I won't be going there very often, so I was wondering what rides should one do given a limited amount of time? I love technical and long rides and grew up in the northeast, so I'm looking forward to getting back underneath trees and hitting roots again. Long climbs are the staple of the local riding scene, so please don't hold back the good stuff unless you think it'll be a problem with your future access or you have some territorial thing going on (seriously, that's fine with me.) I'll probably make the trip to do the MRT, but for more local rides (say <1.5hr from Tigard) what should I be looking at? What shops do you recommend in the Tigard area? If you had to choose a bike, would it be a lighter hardtail or a 5x5" full suspension rig? Tire recommendations? Finally, are there any local things that I should be aware of? For instance, we like to see people riding with bells at all times around here. I just don't want to be pissing anyone off. Thanks a lot for your help!

MattSavage

Ought to do rides

Larch Mountain up I-84 just past Troutdale is good. Gales Cr. at the top of the Coast Range towads Tillamook is Killer. Post Canyon in Hood River is really fun, alot of North Shore type stuff.

MattSavage

Bells?

Do not ride with bells. Absolutely not. Just stay in control and be courteous. 99% of the trails here are usually pretty wet or at least loose and soft. Good knobbies are a must, mudders in the winter... if you ride. But don't ride when it's super sloppy, because 99% of the people that destroy the trails in the winter, don't work on them in the spring and summer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    Larch Mountain up I-84 just past Troutdale is good. Gales Cr. at the top of the Coast Range towads Tillamook is Killer. Post Canyon in Hood River is really fun, alot of North Shore type stuff.
    Thanks for the ideas - I'm definitely interested in Post Cyn. after the IMBA article, but the other ideas sound like great rides as well. The bells around here are just so bikes don't sneak up on hikers. We still strongly encourage everyone to stop and grant hikers and equestrians the right of way, but even when you stop it can sometimes take hikers by surprise that you are even on the same trail. On the other hand, it can often sound like a bear or other large animal when you go crashing through the chaparral or other growth, so the bells give some peace of mind that the object is man. I understand it can be controversial, but most hikers actually thank us for using them... Anyway, don't worry, if bells are not used up there, I won't use mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Three Corner Rock is a good ride on the Washington side. It's closer to East Portland.
    The Historic Hiking Trail, Gales Creek, and the Storey Burn Trail in the Tillamook State Forest.