mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Multiday/Camping bike trip in Oregon?

I've been training and gearing up for a multi-day mountain bike trip in the Northwest, the only problem: I can't find a good trail. I want to find something 50 - 100 miles long that allows (or at least doesn't frown upon) bikes, that is singletrack enough to give me plenty of saddle time and not too many scrambles. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

meatier showers
    What time of year? Snowpack happens, though this year it'll disappear quicker than average.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Defintely summertime, I hadn't decided early- mid- or late-summer yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    NUT describes what you are looking for exactly - 80 miles. 2-3 days of pretty solid riding.

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild
    NUT describes what you are looking for exactly - 80 miles. 2-3 days of pretty solid riding.

North Umpqua River Trail. Agree, fits but you'll need (dare I say it in public?) SHUTTLES. It's best as a point-to-point. There's a few options out there, one being Cog Wild

Both Mt. Hood NF and Cascade Lakes (Deschutes NF) have numerous trails with loops, campgrounds and lots of single track.

OR, come to Mountain Bike Oregon or Bend's Big Fat Tour. Both of these organized events will pay huge dividends in single track, in fact they each will provide you with some of the world's most exceptional single track without any hassles.

Have a good trip!
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Afric Pepperbird
    I'm getting stoked to ride that Fremont trail you mentioned awhile back, soucie. It seems like that would be another option. How much of the Fremont is whack-a-weed hike-a-bike?

(p.s., sorry for the use of the word "stoked". It's usually not part of my vocabulary)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The North Umpqua River Trail is exactly what I was looking for. I've been having dreams about dense green woods mixed with changing rocky scenery, and water crossings. I think this is a winner, do I need permits for this trail? I suppose I can find that out myself. Thanks a ton guys. I might check out Bend's Big Fat tour as well (we'll see how I feel after my summer ride).

meatier showers
    If you choose NUT (a great choice, BTW), invest in some Technu poison oak remover. VOE.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    The NUT is a great ride, but if you really want to see some amazing terrain...Check out the Elkhorn Crest Trail You can't ride the whole thing, parts of it are in wilderness, but the section that isn't is amazing, plus you can link together other trails and roads for as much as you can stand.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer
    I'm getting stoked to ride that Fremont trail you mentioned awhile back, soucie. It seems like that would be another option. How much of the Fremont is whack-a-weed hike-a-bike?

(p.s., sorry for the use of the word "stoked". It's usually not part of my vocabulary)

There's definitely some hike-a-bike and some brush in the way but if we can get a couple solid trail work parties down there, and the local Forest Service does the usual trail clearing they do, it should be all good. I wouldn't recommend this trail for the OP because it's just so far out there and so difficult to find, one would definitely need a person with first hand knowledge in the group. "Stoked" is perfectly legit IMO.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie
    There's definitely some hike-a-bike and some brush in the way but if we can get a couple solid trail work parties down there, and the local Forest Service does the usual trail clearing they do, it should be all good. I wouldn't recommend this trail for the OP because it's just so far out there and so difficult to find, one would definitely need a person with first hand knowledge in the group. "Stoked" is perfectly legit IMO.

Couple of us rode some of the FRT last fall. Good stuff. Planning on hitting it up quite a bit more this year. Hopefully before the the cows get to it. Aug 1-sept 30? July will probably be great with the lack of snow that's out there.

Not to hijack, but keep us posted on a work party!

meatier showers
    Elkhorn Crest Trail... an experience.

Elkhorn Crest BOB trip (photos)

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I can guide you on the NUT. Its an amazing trail with plenty of campgrounds on the way. We have already talked about doing a 3 day ride and having my wife bring up the tents and camping gear so we dont have to pack anything but what we ride with. You really wont find much better scenery. There is a reason MBA said it needs to be in your top 100 trails to ride before you die! I only live about 30 min from the end of the nut and ride it 2-5 times a month. lemme know.

ronbo613
    Elkhorn Crest Trail... an experience.
    That looks like a great trip. Any fish in those lakes?

meatier showers
    Zillions of 'em. They'll bite whatever you throw at 'em as fast as you can cast. Only problem is they're all ~4" long.

"That's what she said."

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613
    That looks like a great trip. Any fish in those lakes?
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.