mtbr member
    Jul 2006

MTB Trails between Salem and Portland

I'll be in the area next week and I'm hoping for some help with MTB trails. I'm looking for something between Salem and Portland. I used to live in Corvallis and I'd love to ride here but I just don't have the time to head down there.

I've done some interwebs searching but came up with nothing. Ideally these would be pretty advanced/techy trails.

Also, if you want to join in on a ride let me know!

Obviously Single
    There isn't much in the zone you speak of, sorry to say.

There's Black Rock, if you like bike-park-y stuff. I have never been there, but many folks rave about it.

And there's Mololla, OR. They have some trails, but it's a bit east of I5 for me.

There is also the Tillamook Forest -- quite a bit west, but still technically between Portland and Salem. Quite a bit of riding there, some of which holds up well in the rain. Remember, this is winter in Oregon, so you most likely will see rain and/or mud.

There's also bike-path-y stuff, like the Banks Vernonia Bike Path, the Crown Zellerback trail, etc, if you prefer no techiness at all.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I dont mind rain or mud, I lived in corvallis for many years. I'll be in salem and wanted to meet up with a friend in portland for a ride and figured I'd see what was in between these days. When I lived in corvallis I recall there not being much in the way of MTB anywhere near portland. Not anything that was fun (techy) anyways.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl View Post
    I dont mind rain or mud, I lived in corvallis for many years. I'll be in salem and wanted to meet up with a friend in portland for a ride and figured I'd see what was in between these days. When I lived in corvallis I recall there not being much in the way of MTB anywhere near portland. Not anything that was fun (techy) anyways.
    Try Silver Falls or Shellburg Falls

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I used to ride up the Little North Fork of the Santiam, east of Elkhorn, MANY years ago. Not sure how that trail is these days.

mtbr member
    The Molalla Trails are closed to bikes from October to April.

If you're driving up to Portland, you might as well drive out to Sandy Ridge. It's pretty much the only technical trails in the area.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Single tracker View Post
    Try Silver Falls or Shellburg Falls
    God i wish silver falls was open to bikes but it's not. I rode it in high school illegally and had a pedal stike on a super exposed cliffy area, started falling over and jumped off my bike and watched my bike fly down a cliff.

kids....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl View Post
    I'll be in the area next week and I'm hoping for some help with MTB trails. I'm looking for something between Salem and Portland. I used to live in Corvallis and I'd love to ride here but I just don't have the time to head down there.

I've done some interwebs searching but came up with nothing. Ideally these would be pretty advanced/techy trails.

Also, if you want to join in on a ride let me know!
    I am also in the valley next week and am bringing my bike. maybe text me 503 740 2494. would be interested in joining on something. Never been to black rock...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    God i wish silver falls was open to bikes but it's not. I rode it in high school illegally and had a pedal stike on a super exposed cliffy area, started falling over and jumped off my bike and watched my bike fly down a cliff.

kids....
    There are some trails in the Silver Falls State Park open to bikes. Some of these also connect into the Shelburg Falls Recreation area.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Black rock is your best bet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post

kids....
    The only trails off limits at Silver Falls is the canyon trail. All other trails are rideable and lots of fun. There is some plans for more trails out there also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan View Post
    There isn't much in the zone you speak of, sorry to say.

There's Black Rock, if you like bike-park-y stuff. I have never been there, but many folks rave about it.

And there's Mololla, OR. They have some trails, but it's a bit east of I5 for me.

There is also the Tillamook Forest -- quite a bit west, but still technically between Portland and Salem. Quite a bit of riding there, some of which holds up well in the rain. Remember, this is winter in Oregon, so you most likely will see rain and/or mud.

There's also bike-path-y stuff, like the Banks Vernonia Bike Path, the Crown Zellerback trail, etc, if you prefer no techiness at all.
    Not to contradict Leeman but there are some options around Salem. There are some awesome trails outside of Dallas, Blackrock is lots of fun even if you aren't a big freeride type, Shellburg Falls has lots of trails, rode there last Sunday they are in great shape. Unfortunately Mary's peak is closed for the winter. We don't have the same variety as Oakridge but still have some fun options.

I will be riding Dallas on Saturday, I'm always willing to show off those trails, there is no maps one must know the trails.