mtbr member
    Dec 2004

New question here. MTB rides near Lincoln City?

Hi,

We are visiting Lincoln City, Oregon in August.

Is there any MTB riding near there or do you suggest bringing a road bike?

thanks

Afric Pepperbird
    Road bike! The ride from Lincoln City to Newport, via Siletz, is a very nice ride.

There's not much in that neck of the woods for mountain biking.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    There is a ride that the shop Bike Newport has a map of. DO NOT ride it. Rode it over the 4th and wasn't impressed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    There is another section of new trails very close to South Beach State Park outside of Newport. The bike shop can tell you about it. Or, if you don't mind the drive, Cape Perpetua's Cummins Creek Trail is a great downhill and the road climb to the top is not bad.

please, just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by nh4cl
    There is another section of new trails very close to South Beach State Park outside of Newport. The bike shop can tell you about it. Or, if you don't mind the drive, Cape Perpetua's Cummins Creek Trail is a great downhill and the road climb to the top is not bad.
    Can you tell me more about this trail. I used to live in Newport and rode out there when it was just a powerline road, but have heard of some single track out there behind the Airport and have wondered if it is worth it. I know the Mike Miller loop out there is short and underwhelming, but isn't there a longer trail up there somewhere? cd

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Alas, I cannot. I found out about it after I rode the shop loop. The guy at the shop said they were building a whole network at that location. Not everything was completed, but he said what existed was ridable. Stop by or call the shop for more info. I'll be checking it out for myself the next time I'm camping near Newport.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I rode Cummins Creek as a lollipop loop last year. There is an uphill that leaves from the same trailhead and is slightly less steep, but towards the top it is hike a bike. Then when you drop in it is fast and furious fun with lots of roots and a few log drops.
    Near the end I went down some of the steepest trail I have ever been on (not saying a lot, I live in Bend where everything is purdy mellow).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Bumping this OLD thread. Anyone know of any good/new trails anywhere in the Lincoln City / Newport stretch of the coast?

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GauchoGreg View Post
    Bumping this OLD thread. Anyone know of any good/new trails anywhere in the Lincoln City / Newport stretch of the coast?
    I can't help, but I wish I could. That area could use some trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Trying to figure out if the Drift Creek Falls trail is suitable to biking, and if there are any side trails off it. I will see if any of the local bike shops have any ideas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    On the Bike Newport shop's web-page, they refer to a 12-mile trail at Ollala Lake (near Toledo). A little further than I hoped to go from Gleneden Beach, but may look into it over this coming weekend. Will give a report if I ride it or another.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GauchoGreg View Post
    On the Bike Newport shop's web-page, they refer to a 12-mile trail at Ollala Lake (near Toledo). A little further than I hoped to go from Gleneden Beach, but may look into it over this coming weekend. Will give a report if I ride it or another.
    We are heading that way in a few weeks, so if you find anything good please share. THANKS!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

MTB rides near Lincoln City?

I have heard of a trail network on private property near Newport. Was told people can ride it if they sign a waiver or get a pass, and that the LBS can provide details. Have never been there, so the details are rather vague. Call Bike Newport, (541) 265-9917.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ^Thanks for that info. I will see what I have time to do this weekend.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

Threadjack: Up North

So any good options further north on the coast? I'm going to be down at Rockaway in August and figure I could range up towards Astoria as well.

I do trailwork and bring beer!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So, I went down there this past week and got the low-down from Bike Newport. Two primary rides down there around Newport. One, at Ollala Lake. Park near the dam, and the trail starts off the trail that runs around the lake, to the southeast. Trail is marked on AllTrails, I believe.

The other trail is the one on private land somewhere on the south east side of town. The bike shop did not have the release forms you have to sign, but rather it is some property management company that has you sign the forms. I believe it is Yaquina Property Management, but could be wrong. Best call the bike shop and ask them. But for me, Ollala was a longer haul than I wanted to take on to drive to (more than an hour from where I was in Salishan), and I did not want to track down the property manager for a short getaway ride. Silly there are not more rides down there, yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Too bad it didn't work out, but I sure appreciate the info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    No problem. If you go for a ride down there, I would love to hear an update.