mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Mt. St. Helens Trails will close to bikes

It's looking like this is a huge possibility. We need someone close by to represent mt. bikers at this meeting. Help spread the word please.

Mt. St. Helens Trails threatened..act now

Taken from this thread.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum
    It's looking like this is a huge possibility. We need someone close by to represent mt. bikers at this meeting. Help spread the word please.

Taken from this thread.

Thanks... Skookum... I followed the links and made my reply to Justin and sent an email to Maria Cantwell... as well as passed on the info to other friends of open MTB trail systems.

Cheers... Dave
    "To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the best product of civilization"... Bertrand Russell

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Argh. I sent a few letters as well, hopefully our voices wont fall on deaf ears. I like St. Helens just the way it is now, no people! Last summer when the road washed out to ape canyon was fantastic, I loved warming up on the road seeing not a soul, no RVs no dipsh*ts trying to run you over...I did see one redneck on a quad with his young daughter sitting on the handle bars cruzing down the closed off road, f*cking priceless...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon
    Thanks... Skookum... I followed the links and made my reply to Justin and sent an email to Maria Cantwell... as well as passed on the info to other friends of open MTB trail systems.

Cheers... Dave
    Thanks to you for steppin up. Even though these trails are in Washington, i've always thought them to be the backyard turf of Portland area riders.

Letters go quite a way. i've ridden Ape/Plains only twice in about 8 years, but i want to be able to continue riding there til i'm an old fart. Wilderness has gobbled up the ability to ride trails on all other volcanoes in Washington State. A panoramic picture i took of my last ride there is hanging in my living room.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum
    Even though these trails are in Washington, i've always thought them to be the backyard turf of Portland area riders.
    You're right about that. I've been riding it 3-4 times a year including the bushwack adventure that is Smith Creek for the past 7 years.

Letters have been sent to Cantwell as well as our local Oregon Congressfolk. This is one wild icon I believe is worth preserving for two-wheeled non-motorized access: status quo ante.

And since we are talking about a National Park, let's get the word out. Has this been X-posted to Passion? (I wouldn't know, don't spend a lot of time lurking over there.)

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    it figures....

Sledders can ride up to the crater rim and fall in if they are careless enough but, as usual, the mountain bikers get kicked out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker
    it figures....

Sledders can ride up to the crater rim and fall in if they are careless enough but, as usual, the mountain bikers get kicked out.
    Hmm.. I heard a different account on the radio yesterady than what is up on the news sites today... The radio story said they had parked the sleds and walked up to the rim but the news articles say they rode up to the rim.
    Last edited by Brandon; 04-16-2008 at 09:54 AM.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    I think it was both. They rode up and then walked to the edge of a cornice so that they could peer into the crater. The cornice broke and buddy went down into the hole.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Sheesh!

We are slowly losing trails to logging, radical environmental lefties, and development here in the NW. Damn!

Cantwell sucks so bad! What an embarrasment to the State of Washington.

Jaybo

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    We are slowly losing trails to logging, radical environmental lefties, and development here in the NW. Damn!

Jaybo
    Another gem from Jaybo

What do you think the radical environmental lefties are trying to stop?

Are you really this dumb, or just an uncontrollable troll?
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Another gem from Jaybo

Oh, yeah? Well, listen up, you radical, environmental, Kitty Piercy-loving, transsexual bathroom advocating, left wing freak:

Change your d@mn signature, would ya? When a dog howls at the moon, I call it a dog howling at the freakin' moon (or an annoyance, if it's in your neighborhood), and when he barks at strangers, he's barking at freakin' strangers! Ed Abbey was obviously some melodramatic blowhard; don't perpetuate it.

Rant over. Flame now, poach Ape Canyon later.

mtbr member

Save St.Helens for none motorized including MTBs

Bikes should be allowed any where horses are allowed, including National Parks and Wilderness Areas. The radical environmentalist would be well served to include MTBers as we share a common goal i.e; none motorized trails. If they would included us they might find a valuable asset in the MTBing community. I can't think of one good reason to keep MTBs out of these areas, personally I'm a lot more likely to support preservation if I get the chance to see what I'm being ask to preserve. More people enjoying National Parks and W.A. equals more people supporting the establishment of these areas.

I support making St.Helens a National Park but only if there is continued MTB access, otherwise furgetaboutit.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo

Jaybo

Is that how you phrased your letter to the honorable Senator from Washington?

I should be out riding
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    Every letter I've sent to Cantwell and Murray so far on Wilderness has gotten a form letter response, long after being sent. And I live in WA state. I'm guessing letters from OR will go straight to the round file. They both listen to the Wilderness crowd and ignore the rest of us.

Jaybo's comment might be the first of his I've ever agreed with.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

As usual you told me!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Another gem from Jaybo

Another closed minded DOD member. Join up boys and girls, but you had better align yourself with this guy's belief system...

Jaybo
    Last edited by Jaybo; 04-19-2008 at 09:36 AM.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Honorable?

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    You are right!

Jaybo
    Last edited by Jaybo; 04-19-2008 at 09:35 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0