mtbr member

Mt. Hood area trails info

Hello riders,

I'm taking my wife & kids camping (Trailer), at Mt. Hood Village for a couple of days later this week. We have never been there but I understand there are some nearby trails.
    Can anyone who knows this area suggest some rides? wife & I are both intermediate/ advanced & thought it would be cool to bring the bikes for some potentially epic riding.

Thanks.
    "Prollyisnotprobably"

B42
    mtbr member

Salmon river trail is an easy trail for the kids. Turn south at Subway off hwy 26 and drive till you see the forest service signs. It's right on the river and makes a decent trip.

Sandy ridge very close. Some kid friendly, some not depending in the kids. Look it up on the inet if you are not familiar.

You should be able to find the trail that leads to Wildwood park. Lots of trails to run around on, all beginner and kid friendly. Great place to go and no car required.

If you ride west on the hwy a few hundred yards you will find a gravel road on the south side. Should be some good exploring around there. Fishing as well if your inclined.

What level are the kids and how far do you want to go? There are some really great xc rides near mt hood meadows.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

B42
    mtbr member

FYI, there are a few recent Sandy Ridge topics in this forum. Check those out for some reviews. It's maybe 2.5 miles from where you'll be at. Very ridable if you don't want to take the car (there are a few hills, one big), but all on secondary roads. Go thru Brightwood and not down the hwy for less traveled roads.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Hope this isn't a thread-jack, but, B42, where do you like to stream/river fish for trout in the Government Camp area.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

B42
    mtbr member

I didn't think there were any streams with fish in them in Govy. All the lakes are stocked with trout, so really just pick any that you enjoy (Timothy was always a solid choice) and that's why I've never even looked at the streams. Down near welches, sandy/salmon intersection or just west of the RV park on the Salmon is good, but I salmon fish or steelhead in the rivers.

There are a ton if cars just west of sandy ridge but before the hiking area. They are all walking into the sandy/salmon intersection. Heard a 30lb native salmon was landed and released today in that area.