mtbr member
    May 2005

Mt Bike Oregon Update

Hi All

Just wanted to let everyone know that there is still space left for both the July and August MBO's this summer. Sign up before it is too late.

New this year.
    New and improved food
    More ride options each day
    New sponsors
    New trails

A Three-Day Mountain Biker's Dream Vacation! | Mountain Bike Oregon

Hope to see you there.

Randy

mtbr member
    New stuff is great & exciting, but let's not forget some things that will remain the same:

Killer event put on by Randy & his minions

Exceptional guides from the DOD

Some of the best trails in the world

Plenty of delicious JustFruit bars to keep us all fueled up

Some guy from the Columbia River Gorge on a bike that belongs in a museum

: )

I just wanna ride my bike
    You know this has got to be a great event when folks from faraway lands travel many miles in large diesel eating vehicles to ride, eat and sip beer with the locals

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I plan on visiting family in southern Washington sometime this summer and have been looking for guided rides so I have an excuse to bring my bike. This sounds like it would be fun to hit driving to or from. I'll be travelling solo though. Does everyone usually come in groups/know each other or would it be easy to make some new friends? Hehe, thanks.

-Tara

ronbo613
    Quote Originally Posted by taranehneh View Post
    I plan on visiting family in southern Washington sometime this summer and have been looking for guided rides so I have an excuse to bring my bike. This sounds like it would be fun to hit driving to or from. I'll be travelling solo though. Does everyone usually come in groups/know each other or would it be easy to make some new friends? Hehe, thanks.

-Tara
    If you can't make a few friends at MBO, you won't make friends anywhere. About as friendly as an event can be.

Making fat cool since '71
    Quote Originally Posted by taranehneh View Post

-Tara
    Long time guide here...only missed one (the first) MBO as a matter of fact...

Most folks come up with a crew. Could be a crew of two or there's some gents from CA I've seen several times who come up in a huge caravan/crew of like 14 or something. However, there's always a stray or two or 80 who come solo. Even A-Social (that's a-social...not a-hole) grumps like me find lots of others to socialize with and make a few new friends every MBO. It's just a damn fine time. The riding is great, our guides pretty damn solid, the beer plentiful (and new this year: non-alcoholic options for us non-degenerates!) and fun immeasurable (the Just Fruit bars are pretty damn delish too)! Get in where you fit in, you will not regret it.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgedon View Post

so does the bike belong in a museum or the guy?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
    If you can't make a few friends at MBO, you won't make friends anywhere. About as friendly as an event can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde View Post
    Long time guide here...only missed one (the first) MBO as a matter of fact...

Most folks come up with a crew. Could be a crew of two or there's some gents from CA I've seen several times who come up in a huge caravan/crew of like 14 or something. However, there's always a stray or two or 80 who come solo. Even A-Social (that's a-social...not a-hole) grumps like me find lots of others to socialize with and make a few new friends every MBO. It's just a damn fine time. The riding is great, our guides pretty damn solid, the beer plentiful (and new this year: non-alcoholic options for us non-degenerates!) and fun immeasurable (the Just Fruit bars are pretty damn delish too)! Get in where you fit in, you will not regret it.

Brock...
    Good to know, thanks guys! =)

Gotta pay to play
    Hey guys. So Cal rider here. Was thinking about trying to make it up to this event for Aug dates. The 13 hour drive was kind of keeping me from pulling the trigger on it though.

My Grandfather has a motor home and mentioned a few weeks ago that he was looking for a road trip. I brought this up with him and he seemed interested. He's one of my best friends so I'd be really happy to get the time with him.

I am just worried that he might be bored at the site during the day while I am out shredding some trails. I've never been to this event so I wanted to you all:

Is there anything interesting going on at the base camp (is there even a base camp?) while peeps are out riding?
    Would there be people milling around that he could talk to or hang out with?
    Has anyone brought family to the event that didn't ride? Did they have a good time?

Making fat cool since '71
    There's things for a non-rider to do in Oakridge while you're out killing it proper, but not much provided by MBO for the non-rider. There's *always* folks around for him to BS with. Lots of milling about and there's always some of us guides and staff sorts roaming. Most are friendly, none of us bite. The fish hatchery is pretty good for a couple hours and if he fishes I hear the fly fishing is decent although I don't fish so...it's all second hand info. There's a rafting place in town now. The drive up the Aufderheide is pretty. There's lots of hiking to be done and a hot springs 15 minutes from the park we headquarters at.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    I grew up in Oakridge (that will be on the plaque next to my body when they put me in the museum) & the fishing in both forks of the Willamette, Salmon Creek & Hills Creek Resevoir are all good. If he likes to hike there are plenty of trails that the riders won't be on. He can also shoot pool, play darts or read one of the books available at the Brewers Union. Lots of little lakes within an hour or less drive, many which require a hike to get into, Blair & Spirit are 2 that we used to fish a lot when I was a kid (& Christ was a corporal). : )

Obviously Single
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgedon View Post

Plenty of delicious JustFruit bars to keep us all fueled up

Is that the crazy guy that rides up (or down) anything?

(And those bars *are* dang good.)
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Obviously Single
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
    I seriously hope to see you there, Ronbo!
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My wife is attending the August MTBO by herself. (I'll be in Colorado.)

She rides a '12 Lush and is a very competent MTBR. But would really like to hook up with another female rider from the Portland, OR area.
    If not to share a ride down - to at least have some connection to another PDX-area rider.

Any ideas on how to contact other lady riders doing MTBO this August?

Many thanks! E-Ticket

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anyone heading down from the Portland area for the July MBO. I'm looking for a ride to meet up with some friends from CA, either on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Ticket2 View Post
    My wife is attending the August MTBO by herself. (I'll be in Colorado.)

She rides a '12 Lush and is a very competent MTBR. But would really like to hook up with another female rider from the Portland, OR area.
    If not to share a ride down - to at least have some connection to another PDX-area rider.

Any ideas on how to contact other lady riders doing MTBO this August?

Many thanks! E-Ticket
    There will be plenty of lady riders at August MBO, Lady only rides will be offered also. I'm from the Salem area, 50 miles south of PDX and know that their are a few women attending august MBO from our area. Have her come down early enough on Thursday to set up camp and mingle with some of the other women, I'm sure she will fit it and find some others to ride and have fun with. There are plenty of female guides also.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm from WA and ill be there solo in Aug. I am hoping that my lack of up hill stamina wont ruin it for the group i tag along with on the big rides sat and Sunday. wondering if its ok to show up Thursday and set up camp?

mtbr member
    Showing up Thursday is a great idea & you'll find plenty of others doing the same. Good chance to get a quick ride from camp out Salmon Creek to make sure you & your bike are properly tuned.

The riders usually break into 3 main groups soon after getting started, fast, slow & in-between. I often end up near the front of the in-betweens & pass the tail end of the fast group on the uphills only to watch them fly by when the trail head down again. It's all good. : )

Obviously Single
    Many folks show up Thursday, as Gorge Don suggested, but there won't be any services (like food and beer) until Friday. So plan on heading into town for dinner. I highly recommend the Brewers Union, but there are several other good choices.
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    cool i was thinking of a small cooler with some food and snacks for the weekend. that good that they split up into 3 groups ill prob be at the tail end of the in-betweeners. ill play it by ear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hey, E-ticket. Is your wife still looking for a ride share? I am hoping to attend MBO this weekend and would be interested in carpooling. Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks!