mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Mt. Bachelor to Bend: guide or map?

Planning to shuttle and ride Mt. Bachelor to Bend at the end of the month, wondering if the route is confusing enough to pay for the guide or if a trail map would be sufficient. Would prefer to save the money for beer tasting later. Thanks for any advice.

Justin

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Navigation isn't too tricky as long as you're comfortable reading a map. There are a few intersections you have to look out for but I believe they're fairly obvious and well-marked. Of course if you head down the wrong trail you might end up losing a bit of elevation before you figure out you're not where you thought you were.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Shuttle??? ;-)

If you ride up from town, you will know how to go back down!! The best route if you insist on shuttling at the end of July is to start at Dutchman Snowpark and ride up Flagline Access to Metolius Windigo and then down Mrazek. Love that route. Enjoy!!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the help so far. And yes, I insist on shuttling... if I wanted a death march I'd ride my road bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bend trails look very confusing on the map, but they are very easy to figure out in person. You won't get lost without a guide.

mtbr member
    A couple of years back I visited Bend and subsequently backpacked Mt. Bachelor for 5 days solo. I had never been there before and the area map I got at the ranger station was all I needed. There was still snow when I went, making some trails hard to locate, but I made it around and to my rendevous fine. All the trails are well marked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I often see people that are confused at intersections and they typically have the detailed trail map. IMO it is easy to get on the wrong trail without a GPS.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm not a local and I'd say it was quite easy to find the route using a map. The only time there was any head scratching going on was near one of the shelters where it seemed there were many trails coming together.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Map.

If you have any kind of internal sense of direction or map reading skills then a map will be plenty. My GF on the other hand will consistently want to turn Left at an intersection where we need to be going right to get to out destination. She knows this btw and it's a bit of a source of humor in out relationship so don't be rippin on me.

If you go with a shuttle service like Cog Wild and they are dropping several people at the drop site then chances are that you can just stick with the group, or at least follow their tracks as the majority of people will be doing Dutchman to Met/Win to Happy Valley at that time of year and NOT POACHING Fagline .

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by RTurner View Post
    My GF on the other hand will consistently want to turn Left at an intersection where we need to be going right to get to out destination. She knows this btw and it's a bit of a source of humor in out relationship so don't be rippin on me.
    Too funny. My wife, if left on her own, will end up riding the same circle over and over not recognizing that she's been on that stretch of trail before. I think her instinct is to always turn right.

Over 500 miles of trail from which to choose and she's done the same 10 mile loop on Phil's about a thousand times. She says, "It's like I'm on a new trail every time I head out!"

mtbr member
    If you take a Cog Wild shuttle up you can just follow people from that shuttle down. Surely someone will let you tag along.

The way down is slightly confusing, but nothing a map won't take care of.

jp4
    mtbr member

Re: Mt. Bachelor to Bend: guide or map?

Cool ride. We used to bomb that on our clunkers 30+ years ago at night under a full moon. The area around Tumalo falls had recently burned, so the moonlight would filter through enough to make it down. Long story short, we did it at night with no lights after spending all our beer money earlier in the evening - you won't get lost in the daylight with a map. Enjoy

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JLF1200 View Post
    Thanks for the help so far. And yes, I insist on shuttling... if I wanted a death march I'd ride my road bike
    Still plan on plenty of pedaling even with the shuttle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jp4 View Post
    Cool ride. We used to bomb that on our clunkers 30+ years ago at night under a full moon. The area around Tumalo falls had recently burned, so the moonlight would filter through enough to make it down. Long story short, we did it at night with no lights after spending all our beer money earlier in the evening - you won't get lost in the daylight with a map. Enjoy

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Ha...nice! That's how I like to roll!!

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by JLF1200 View Post
    Planning to shuttle and ride Mt. Bachelor to Bend at the end of the month, wondering if the route is confusing enough to pay for the guide or if a trail map would be sufficient. Would prefer to save the money for beer tasting later. Thanks for any advice.

Justin
    Hey, did you do this with a map? Curious how easy it was as I'll be up there to ride the park, Mckenzie, and looking for one other ride. Maybe this? Also, does anyone have an link to a map?

Thx,
    Marcus

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Been a lot of places and the area from Bachelor to Bend is about the most straightforward place anyone can ride. The location/direction posts at intersections are about the best ever and even a rudimentary up to date map is more than enough. The USFS map is available on line and you can also get one from the ORMTB here... Bend and Central Oregon Mountain Biking

Or, you can grab the new map off the Adventure maps page: Bend Area Trail Map | Adventure Maps

Dutchman-Met/Win-Mrazek is a winner for sure. But, may be a bit confusing at the bottom depending on if you want to ride into town as it can drop you in Shevlin Park which isn't anywhere near the patio at 10 Barrel... And, the 2 bulls fire changed a short but very followable section near the bottom.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncstad View Post
    Also, does anyone have an link to a map?
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...prd3795185.pdf

EMBA Member
    When I was down there in late May, I bought a map at a bike shop around the corner from 10 barrel. Maybe spent $10. It is a very high quality map - well worth the price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If you have a smartphone get the Maplets app. Best app I have ever bought, makes navigating so easy it's almost cheating.

Laker and a Trail Blazer

Mt. Bachelor to Bend: guide or map?

Ok got that app although I gave not used it yet. I will most likely get a map too. What are some of your guys' most fun routes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You could go DMH - Tiddlywinks or Tyler's - Storm King - COD or GS.

A bigger loop would be to head to Happy Valley and come back in on Mrazek, a trail I have always loved.

Flagline is closed until August 15th, which is a shame because that is the most fun way to do the B to B route.

Really, all the trails in Bend are worth riding at least once, so you can't choose a "wrong" option.

As others have mentioned navigating the Bend trails isn't too hard, everything is well signed (although as a non-local the Swampy area always gets me turned around). You should also get enough cell coverage to be able to locate your position on the trail with the mallets app.