mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Mt. Ashland Hillclimb

Anyone done this? What is the mtb route? Is it the same as Cat 1 & 2 Spring thaw or Cat 3 route? This race seems like the most insane hill climb going, except for maybe the Everest Challenge.

Beer Is Good Food
    Jan 2009

The Old Hill Climb...

The Ashland Hill Climb... where to start... The first 6 miles is the same as the climb in the '95 (or ealier) Spring Thaw... The East side of the Ashland Loop Rd (aka FS Rd 2060). Then about a mile of flat... then it climbs again... after a bit the gradient mellows out (Fs Rd 2080) to the bottom of Bull Gap. Then you have a relatively low level 3.5 mile incline... finishing with a really crappy 2 miles of pavement to the Mt Ashland Lodge. Starting elevation is roughly 2000ft with the finishing elevation at 6550ft... while you are pedaling up the pavement with what steam you have left... A damn roady goes wizzing by.... The original Hill Climb was the same as the Revenge of the Siskiyous... tougher but shorter... those were the days when mtn bikes finished before the road bikes...

mtbr member
    good call wes nile. i remember those days when the mtbr's raced the roadies up to the lodge

i will be in assland sometime early next week (for a week) with two bikes! here is one of the rides i WILL be doing... pm me if interested acctnut or wes

go to lithia park
    ride up the park, take a left around the swimming pit
    take the 180 right to get to the top of morton and follow past toothpick to four corners. ugh
    go straight to the next intersection. tolman
    go right on the jeep road up to the lodge. ugh
    go through p-lot and stay right to the summit. not so ugh
    rest
    go back down to timewarp and follow to road
    turn left or turn right depending on mood
    can't go wrong

ok ok, here is the other one....

from assland, ride up greensprings till you see the inn
    take a left
    kinda sorta stay left till you get to dead indian
    take a left
    do one last climb, look at across at mt A
    spin 53x11
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

Beer Is Good Food
    Jan 2009

Next Week

YouRideIt
    Your first ride that you have planned is one of my favorits... One of the toughest ones around... But it still leaves you with a sh!t eating grin... I have done that one several times this summer already... This time of the year I usually take a break from pedaling... I turn into a shuttle junkie... I know its a poor excuse ... But...
    Your second ride I have not done since '96... somewhere around there anyway. I refuse to purchase or ride a road bike to date... And pedaling that on a mtb bike sucks...I used to ride Dead Indian from 140 to Assland and back... but that was a time before I wised up...
    Which trail in Klamath is Blood Letter... I may know it by another name... Myself and a small clan of dirtbags named and/or built the trails over there... Endo... Blue Berry... Whiskey Town... Bones... 911... Garbage... Sunset... Roller Coaster...etc. I was a frequent fidure at YP.
    I would be up for a ride though... Let me know... Wes 301-8520

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'll be in the area (Gold Hill actually) looking for a ride on Saturday morning if any of you guys are going out and I can tag along please post up here or shoot me a PM. Thanks, Sean

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The rout currently being used via the 2080 road is flater and longer. I've been climbing up rd 200 and then up the Bull Gap trail to the lodge, shorter and much steeper! Caarfull up the Bull Gap trail though as riders coming down at a high rate of speed and blind corners make for a bad combo, early in the morn'en is best.
    I'm disappointed with the dirt race rout, it will favor roadies that are on mountain bikes becouse of the slighter grade I think. I prefer steeper harder climbs...
    So, after this race is over, I will ride down Time Warp to horn gap and back up to Hit rd to the park, then back up the 2060 to rd 200 and up Bull Gap then down the surer D. Are you in Wes or has all the shuttles got you too DOWN?

Beer Is Good Food
    Jan 2009

Race Day

Fellow Riders
    Just giving you fellow riders a heads up. Both Saturday 19th & Sunday 20th will be an IMBA work weekend on Catwalk Tr. Out of respect and for the safety to those individuals working on the trail please use an alternate route.
    Sorry Bill. I will be workig that weekend to improve the sustainability of the Catwalk Trail.
    We would like it if you joined us. I will even have a shovel slightly used for you. We all know that Catwalk Tr. could use some help.
    Thanks
    Wes

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I thought that the I.M.B.A. trail work day was scheduled for Sept 26th??? Not that I couldn't make time, but I just wounder what work would be performed in the dry Hard dirt conditions? I will still be participating in the Hill Climb that weekend as I'm entered and payed and also WORKING that weekend.
    Ashland Mountain Adventures will be hosting a trail work day on Nov 1st, when I'm off WORK, hopefuly we will have some, if not lots of rain by then. Our plan is to repair damage to the Bull Gap single track that occured duruing the Super D event.

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    now now boys. cant we all just get along.much more productive if we work together,

mtbr member
    don't tell anybody, but assland oregon is a pretty cool place. it was great to be back.

rode it up tolman from town to the summit. then timewarp strawberry lane. then i shuttled from the lodge down the bull gap side twice! holy vertical

i left the roadie up north and am thinking about hiking around smith rocks instead of riding in bend. gotta love vacations.

the blood letter....i was actually living in odessa, not k-falls. blood letter is just what i called it. it was some horse trail that i rode. on 140 near the turn to rocky point, go up 3610 toward the church camp. varney creek. the trail goes up the ridge and drops down the face of the old ski resort. the xc version took me from the od, on 140 towards k-falls and right on 3637. that goes up and over to varney and blood letter. there are also some really, really amazing old skid roads on pelican butte.

i may have time for a ride in the morning. what kind of beer do you fancy these days wes?

Beer Is Good Food
    Jan 2009
    Good old Odessa... I went to the church camp when I was a little brat. Nothing has really changed. If I remember correctly I think the old resort was called Tomahawk. a sweet place to go tubing, if you still can. It's been a number of years since I have pedaled anywhere near Pelican Butte, the closest I have been is Rye Spur. Glad to here you are having a great vacation, it's better than working.
    what beer do I fancy... PBR ... cause no matter what place you finish in you will always have a blue ribbon.

mtbr member
    P9020355.jpg

one from the trip for ya wesnile....on top of bfe

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    pel but