mtbr member

MRT and URT trail conditions in the fall

Hey, i am going to be in the area in Oct and again in Nov and wondering what the conditions are like on the mackenzie river trail and umqua river trails around this time. will it be too muddy etc. or do they handle water pretty well?

it means 'no problem'
    Both trails are well designed and mostly sustainable. Due to their lower elevations I think you will find excellent riding late into to the Fall on both trails.

Thanks for offering a sucker pitch for me to plug the BBFT! One of our mottos is:

"There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." Doubly true riding those river trails!
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot_mt
    Hey, i am going to be in the area in Oct and again in Nov and wondering what the conditions are like on the mackenzie river trail and umqua river trails around this time. will it be too muddy etc. or do they handle water pretty well?
    Snow could be possible in November on the higher sections of both trails.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot_mt
    They both handle the wet quite well. I have always found that the upper portions of the Umpqua River trail are the best in the wet weather, as long as they are below snow line. The Deer leap segment is nice in the wet weather, it just depends on what the snow situation is. The area up there has slightly different soil, and vegetation, and is less muddy than down low.

Overall though, I would not worry about it being unrideable. There used to be a section at the lower end of the Tioga section that had clay for about a quarter mile, and would ball up so bad on the tires that you would come to a stop, but then they laid rock in there and fixed it. It has been a few years since I have been there, so hopefully that situation is still under control. They used to put a "closed" sign on the bottom of Tioga during the winter months. It was about the size of a playing card and you had to actually be curious enough to go over and look at it to see what it said. And the other end of the trail had nothing.

I will be up there next week for a return visit, with a stop at Gooseberry Mesa on the way up, and Moab on the way back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Snow could be possible in November on the higher sections of both trails.
    I think November is almost a guarantee of getting some snowfall at the top end of the Umpqua but it drops a lot of elevation in the first few miles of Dread and Terror so from Hot Springs down will probably be ridable well into November if I had to guess. There have been years when MRT is all open into December but it's pretty iffy from early November on for the top.