Law
    45 gone, 15 to go

MRT and Sisters report

I rode with my brother and a friend the MRT for the first time last week....wow!

The top is pretty technical at times. The lava field was nuts. Still we cleared more than we would have thought without getting off. I found the bottom half to be kind of boring,... well not boring, but not as a much of a rush when compared with the upper part. When we do it again we will probably end about halfway, after the end of the harder stuff.

I ride on a Dean Ti Colonel 29er and I think that I may have to buy a suspension seatpost for the next time. It must be one of the rockiest-rootiest rides around, especially since it is so long.

Also, just so folks know, other rides around Sisters, Oregon still have snow. We attempted to do Three Creeks but there is still too much snow up there. I would say anything there above 5200 feet or so is too much trouble to ride. Maybe in a couple of weeks or less things will be clear.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So where does the MRT go to and from and how long is it? I hear a lot of talk about it, but have never seen a map.

What kind of a bike trail is there in the three creeks area? I've hiked from three creeks lake, up over Tam McArthur Rim, down the rim, to Brokentop; so I'm kinda familiar with the area. But I didn't think that those trails could be ridden, are there others?
    "The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die."

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Law
    I rode with my brother and a friend the MRT for the first time last week....wow!

The top is pretty technical at times. The lava field was nuts. Still we cleared more than we would have thought without getting off. I found the bottom half to be kind of boring,... well not boring, but not as a much of a rush when compared with the upper part. When we do it again we will probably end about halfway, after the end of the harder stuff.

I ride on a Dean Ti Colonel 29er and I think that I may have to buy a suspension seatpost for the next time. It must be one of the rockiest-rootiest rides around, especially since it is so long.

Also, just so folks know, other rides around Sisters, Oregon still have snow. We attempted to do Three Creeks but there is still too much snow up there. I would say anything there above 5200 feet or so is too much trouble to ride. Maybe in a couple of weeks or less things will be clear.
    MRT has multiple personalities. I like the whole thing (upper part best perhaps) but fun on the lower sections seems to me to peak a little later in the year when my legs are seasoned and I can really fly for prolonged periods. Especially with a group of fast riders, front rider trying to get away and everyone else trying to overtake. Some of the lower part is just so smooth; I find a rhythm and once I get in the groove it's like flyng a Jedi speeder through the forest. Of course I don't ride this way on weekends (too busy) and I never over-ride the corners/sight lines. For the most part, visibility is pretty good through there and most of the time a guy can fly without spinning a bad rep with other trail users.

It's a great trail. I've been riding it and loving it for 22 years.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by PVFJR
    What kind of a bike trail is there in the three creeks area? I've hiked from three creeks lake, up over Tam McArthur Rim, down the rim, to Brokentop; so I'm kinda familiar with the area. But I didn't think that those trails could be ridden, are there others?
    Metolius/Windigo and Trail 99 are in the area. I heart them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Metolius-Windigo goes through there huh? I've been on it in the Lemish lake area, quite a ways away. Those are some nice pics of the three sisters. I also see the rim, the broken hand, and broken top. I gotta get back out there someday soon.
    [RANT]Stupid puget sound with only one good mountain and too many freakin weekend warriors flooding the great outdoors which are too far of a drive to begin with... [/RANT]
    "The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die."