MRT ride

Anyone riding mckenzie this saturday?

mtbr member
    I rode it on Sunday. The weather was AWESOME

Singletrack Addict

... and if we just ... Not this Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by wfo922 View Post
    Anyone riding mckenzie this saturday?
    I plan on riding the out and back next Friday.
    Does that help?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodvw View Post
    I rode it on Sunday. The weather was AWESOME
    We rode it Sunday too, awesome weather.

Did anyone see the two naked guy's hiking up the trail?...Crazy!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    thanks for the replies.

I found a buddy to ride with on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Heck of a nice ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Is there a designated area for parking at the Trail Head for MRT? I know Paradise is where you want to leave a car for the end of the trail, just not sure about the start. Also, are there many break ins around there? We are on our way to Bend for riding, so we will unfortunately have gear in the cars.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    There is designated trail head parking at the beginning of the ride, above Clear Lake. Just watch for the signs on the side of the road. If coming from Bend, and you get to Clear Lake, you have gone a little too far.

Personally, I am not sure why everyone says to cut the ride short (Paradise Campground), but if you have never rode the trail, do yourself a favor and just ride the 26 miles to the end. Sure, it's not nearly as spectacular the past 2 or 3 miles, but still better than most other trails we have ridden.

My .02 anyway since we rode it 4 times this Summer from start to finish.

...edit, we have never had any issues with break ins the past two Summers (7 rides in the area)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks Jeff. So would the Ranger Station be considered the end of the ride? How hard would it be to come with 6 guys from Bend, drop everyone off and all gear/bikes at the TH, go to the bottom to park, and hitchhike back up top? We have 2 cars, but would be more fun to all drive over in 1 car from Bend. I suppose we could use the shuttle if needed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The Ranger Station is about a mile from finish (between Paradise CG and the end of the trail). There is an official lower trail head parking area as well, about a mile past the Ranger Station on the right side of the road next to the river. You would probably spend less money driving both cars than you would shuttling ($110 for 6 riders).

We had to hitch hike back up once last Summer (left the keys to lower car in the upper car) and had no problems. Just left the helmet on and started walking and was picked up in no time. I think a lot of the locals or travelers through that area know the routine and pickup people and take them to the top for the car.

It is a 30 minute drove both ways, so could take an hour or more for your hitchhiker to make it back up to the top.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Not bagging on the shuttle service, we did use them twice this Summer but with fewer riders, so it made sense to only use one car.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Great info, thanks. If we have any juice left in the tank, we may hit Peterson Ridge on the way back to Bend for a late afternoon ride. Wish there was a way to shuttle that area, but doesn't sound like it is set up that way. Cog Wild mentions it on there site and I have seen shuttle info for Peterson Ridge on my COTA map, but the info I have received didn't match my intel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Cog Wild is awesome, we used them three times a few weeks ago while in Bend for a week of riding. They probably do guided tours to Peterson, but most of the shuttles are up to Swampy and Dutchman (and only $10 per rider).

Have fun! I am so ready to head back to Bend and do some riding.....but will have to wait until next Summer.