Spin-stabilized

MRT/North Umpqua weekend HELP!

Hello,

A friend of mine and I are planning on driving up to ride the MRT in late May and a section of the N. Umpqua trail. We only have half a day (6hours) to ride N. Umpqua (I wish we had more time) and are looking for any suggestions on which section to ride. The more technical the better. Is it a scenic trail? We just want to make the most out of this 3-day trip which unfortunately will consist of more than 20 hours of roundtrip driving to and from Oregon.

Our plan was to leave CA early on Sat and spend the rest of the day resting and pitching camp in Paradise and maybe hike along the river for a bit. On Sunday, we start early and ride the MRT South to North then back (How difficult is an out and back?). On Monday, we plan on driving to N. Umpqua and maybe do one section before we head back to northern CA. I guess it would have to be an out and back too. Is 6-hours enough? Are there loop options? Any recommended maps? What bike to bring? We both plan on bringing geared hardtails.

Whew! I know, it's a lot of questions.

Many thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    It could take 3-5 hours just to drive between the MRT and NUT. I would pick one and not rush the ride.

N. Umpqua has more technical sections, is less "developed" and much less traffic, especially on weekends.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Spin-stabilized
    We're pretty much stuck with the MRT as the main ride since we've already reserved a campsite at paradise for Sat and Sun night. Since N. Umpqua is 3-5 hrs. south of MRT ,it's on the way home to NorCal, we thought it would be worth stopping by and doing a short ride there. We just need some local advice on what sections would be good for a "quick" ride. A good sampler of the trail perhaps.

Is MRT rideable in it's entirety yet? How long will an out and back ride take? how much climbing?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    The problem with Umpqua for you is it is 1 hour off the freeway to the bottom of the trail.

Here's an idea if you will, there is numerous trails in the area of MRT to ride, maybe plan Sunday around MRT and then another trail on Monday.

Out and Back, great option, figure on 27 miles one way, there is a group planning a shuttle on May 21st see the other thread in the Oregon Board on that, you would probably be welcome to hook up. The worst thing about an out and back, my preferred route BTW, is doing it on a Sunday when there are more people hiking and riding from top to bottom.

As for Monday, I would hit King Castle/Castle Rock, or Olallie trail, or jump over the Aufderhiede (sp?) and hit Alpine in Oakridge. More bang for your buck and a lot less driving to get to than hitting the Umpqua. especially since it doesn't start getting cleared until Mid May, and the stuff it sounds like you would like is higher up and a solid 1-1 1/2 hours drive off of I-5.

What weekend are you coming, there is always DOD folks looking to go ride and willing to take out of towners along.....
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

mtbr member
    O'ya, another option is Ashland area, I have hit some great rides there driving to Redding and back, makes a nice break in the trip.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Gittyup!
    I put together a web page w/ some beta on the N. Umpqua River Trail. You can find it here:

http://gittyup.net/northumpqua

Contained within is a write up of each section of trail (characteristics and mileage), along w/ a BLM map. There's a link to a Treadmap there as well (recommended). You can choose whichever section you think fits your style the best based on the description and go from there. I personally like Dread and Terror. Might be a tough out and back however. I wouldn't say it's super technical, but it sure as hell is a lot of fun. Lots of fast descents and intense climbs. The scenery is amazing as well.

Have fun... it's hard not to there!

Quote Originally Posted by bailout
    Hello,

A friend of mine and I are planning on driving up to ride the MRT in late May and a section of the N. Umpqua trail. We only have half a day (6hours) to ride N. Umpqua (I wish we had more time) and are looking for any suggestions on which section to ride. The more technical the better. Is it a scenic trail? We just want to make the most out of this 3-day trip which unfortunately will consist of more than 20 hours of roundtrip driving to and from Oregon.

Our plan was to leave CA early on Sat and spend the rest of the day resting and pitching camp in Paradise and maybe hike along the river for a bit. On Sunday, we start early and ride the MRT South to North then back (How difficult is an out and back?). On Monday, we plan on driving to N. Umpqua and maybe do one section before we head back to northern CA. I guess it would have to be an out and back too. Is 6-hours enough? Are there loop options? Any recommended maps? What bike to bring? We both plan on bringing geared hardtails.

Whew! I know, it's a lot of questions.

Many thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm a trail runner, but thought you would like an update on the conditions.

I was just on the Tioga segment and the worst of the debris has been cleared from the trail and new signs installed. There are still some logs across the trail heading up Bob Butte.
    Mott, Panther, Marsters, and Jessie Wright were cleared in March. Calf is still closed until the fall at the earliest. Work on the trail stopped for osprey & owl breeding. Deer Leap hadn't been cleared as of two weeks ago, but should be ready by late May if not already. Hot Springs was cleared two weeks ago. The lower half of Dread & Terror is free of snow but hasn't been cleared. The upper half has several feet of snow on it as of a week ago. I think it's unlikely to be ready by late May.

Also, Soda Springs and Toketee Lake trailheads now require a forest pass in addition to the Hot Springs trailhead.

Mark

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for the report
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Spin-stabilized

Thanks for all the input...

..and advice. How long does it usually take to ride MRT as an out and back? Is it physically demanding? I guess we can handle long grinders even if it's steep but if it's steep and technical for long sections then that might include a lot of dismounting to catch our breath.

Looks like we might abandon our plans for NUT since the upper parts may still be covered in snow by the weekend of May 20th (that's when we are driving up).

Which trail would you rather ride Castle Rock/King Castle or Oakridge? Whch one is more scenic and technical? Basically we are looking for "desert" on Monday after the "main course" (MRT - which we'll ride all day Sunday). Scenic and technical and fairly short would be ideal.

Thanks again Oregonians (Oregonites???)

Spin-stabilized
    Ok, just in case we're too tired for an out and back and decide to ride MRT top to bottom, who do we call for a shuttle to the top? I checked out bicycleways.com but the shops are in Eugene (we'll be camping in /coming from Paradise ).

Gittyup!
    Try CogWild out of Bend. They'll meet you at the bottom and shuttle you up.

Quote Originally Posted by bailout
    Ok, just in case we're too tired for an out and back and decide to ride MRT top to bottom, who do we call for a shuttle to the top? I checked out bicycleways.com but the shops are in Eugene (we'll be camping in /coming from Paradise ).