Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004

MRT conditions, rideable?

saw a little snow on the odot pass cam...thinking that this weekend might be the last of the year and conditions might be fantastic. Anyone been up there within the last week?

thanks in advance.
    "...his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    I was wanting to know the same thing. I've been wanting to ride MRT, but have not been able to. This weekend would be perfect for me, but is it ridable? Anybody.................

mtbr member
    You should be okay, if anything there might be a couple shallow drifts up by Clear Lake. IF there is anything I would think you could walk it very easy.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004
    outstanding...thank you for the reply!
    "...his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Canuck
    Mar 2004

It's a mess

At least the last (bottom) 5 miles or so. Significant blowdown - we're talking 5 foot diameter trees uprooted. Around 25 hike-around's, some of them nasty. Exit at Belknap Springs recommended. Supposedly this happened due to a windstorm in the last few days. And the odd fallen tree up from there as well.

love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007
    Unrelated to the OP, but what's the bottom of the NUT like? I missed out on riding the trail below Slide Creek over Labor Day and, being at loose ends next weekend, was thinking that with the good weather forecasted it might be a good time to ride the lower segments with a reasonable minimum of poison oak and mud.

Since we're talking trail status I was up at the Farewell-Mrazek junction yesterday. Almost completely snow free, with some tiny traces at 6100 feet. Eight downed trees on the upper three miles or so of Mrazek; it's still clear below that all the way down to Shevlin.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtSnake
    At least the last (bottom) 5 miles or so. Significant blowdown - we're talking 5 foot diameter trees uprooted. Around 25 hike-around's, some of them nasty. Exit at Belknap Springs recommended. Supposedly this happened due to a windstorm in the last few days. And the odd fallen tree up from there as well.
    I'm sorry but not surprised to read this. On my drive to Barbie Camp last Friday the wind was blowing so bad near Paradise CG that small branches and debris were littering the highway. As I watched the big trees lining the road sway farther than I thought they could sway without snapping, I wondered if one or two might come down in front of or on top of my vehicle. It was really blowing bad but the gusts seemed isolated to a few-miles stretch right around the Paradise/Belknap area.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004
    It's a pity there were as many downed trees as there were...soil conditions were as good if not better than I've ever experienced on MRT. Though, the upper 50% was the best with only a few mandatory dismounts (FYI for anyone thinking of getting out there soon).