Thread: MRT conditions

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

MRT conditions

Has anyone hit the MRT recently? With the semi mild temps we have sporadically gotten, Im thinking you might be able to make it past Blue Pool for a ways.

mtbr member
    Someone I know ran the whole trail March 15th. 28+ miles.

I asked how it looked and his reply was:

" It was pretty snowy starting about a mile north of Trail Bridge. I went a bit further since I was on foot and then ran the lower section. Not much mud, a few puddles early, but the lower I got the better. A few down trees, but not too many to ride. All the lower stuff is completely rideable. I was stoked!"

For what it's worth.

mtbr member
    We rode from the bottom of the trail to Deer Creek this past Sunday. The snow started a little higher. Blue Pool and higher areas are probably still under snow. The road to the start/top of the trail is not even plowed and you cant reach it due to snow.
    We would recommend starting at the bottom and riding up as far as you can go and then riding back down. We had a blast riding the trail this way!
    We can also recommend staying at Horse Creek Lodge this time of year. They have three cabins that are very affordable ($120-140/night) that sleep 4-6ppl and they are awesome. You can also ride direct to the bottom of the trail. Look them up!
    We also posted photos of our ride on the Cog Wild Facebook page, check them out!
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cog Wild View Post
    We rode from the bottom of the trail to Deer Creek this past Sunday. The snow started a little higher. Blue Pool and higher areas are probably still under snow. The road to the start/top of the trail is not even plowed and you cant reach it due to snow.
    We would recommend starting at the bottom and riding up as far as you can go and then riding back down. We had a blast riding the trail this way!
    We can also recommend staying at Horse Creek Lodge this time of year. They have three cabins that are very affordable ($120-140/night) that sleep 4-6ppl and they are awesome. You can also ride direct to the bottom of the trail. Look them up!
    We also posted photos of our ride on the Cog Wild Facebook page, check them out!
    This sounds promising.

KRob----> calling Horse Creek Lodge and checking out Cog Wild's FB page.

Couple more questions: How many miles out and back were you able to ride doing it this way? Is the trail going this direction relatively beginner/intermediate friendly?
    Is the highway between Bend and Deer Creek Lodge open this time of year or would we have to access it from the Eugene side?
    Last edited by KRob; 03-26-2013 at 09:56 AM.

mtbr member
    My recollection is that the lower part of the MRT is very beginner friendly. It's not the most epic section as far as views and technical sections are concerned. I remember it being fairly flat and easy going.

Oh, and yes the highway from Bend is open.

mtbr member
    The bottom section is the easier section of the trail. There are sections that wind easily on flat singletrack through the trees that beginners would love. There are also tight turns, some roots, climbs, descents and lots of bridge crossings.
    From the bottom of the trail to Deer Creek is ten miles, so you can still get in a decent ride! Add a few more miles from Horse Creek Lodge too.
    The road is open from Bend, through Sisters and up and over Hoodoo/Santiam Pass area. The back, windy road is not open.
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    This sounds promising.

KRob----> calling Horse Creek Lodge and checking out Cog Wild's FB page.

Couple more questions: How many miles out and back were you able to ride doing it this way? Is the trail going this direction relatively beginner/intermediate friendly?
    Is the highway between Bend and Deer Creek Lodge open this time of year or would we have to access it from the Eugene side?
    I don't know, krob, it sounds like you're coming to Oregon at a bit of an inopportune time.

You may be a bit disappointed if all you can make it to is Deer Creek and back. Sure, it's neat, but you'll be kicking yourself for not being able to ride higher up. But at least then you can plan a return trip!

Bend will be out of bounds for the most part, too, except our winter trails, which although decent, are a far cry from our summer trails in sheer fun-ness.

Wherever you go, be sure to check out the Peterson Ridge Trail in Sisters, which willem says is now fine and dry. Nothing very technical (except the two short sections marked in black), but the scenery is awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I don't know, krob, it sounds like you're coming to Oregon at a bit of an inopportune time.

You may be a bit disappointed if all you can make it to is Deer Creek and back. Sure, it's neat, but you'll be kicking yourself for not being able to ride higher up. But at least then you can plan a return trip!

Bend will be out of bounds for the most part, too, except our winter trails, which although decent, are a far cry from our summer trails in sheer fun-ness.

Wherever you go, be sure to check out the Peterson Ridge Trail in Sisters, which willem says is now fine and dry. Nothing very technical (except the two short sections marked in black), but the scenery is awesome.
    Yeah, early spring in Oregon is probably not the best time for a mtb trip, but this isn't primarily an mtb trip. Just seeing if there's some decent trails open this time of year that we could add into our Spring Break family trip. We're also going to Tilamook to the cheese factory and McMinville to see the Spruce Goose, down the coast to see some light houses,and to a Blazers game.

So now with all the great suggestions, I've got to decide which trails we can fit in and which are on the way to other things we have scheduled. Eight days isn't nearly long enough to see Oregon. I'm sure after we do we'll want to come back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cog Wild View Post
    The bottom section is the easier section of the trail. There are sections that wind easily on flat singletrack through the trees that beginners would love. There are also tight turns, some roots, climbs, descents and lots of bridge crossings.
    From the bottom of the trail to Deer Creek is ten miles, so you can still get in a decent ride! Add a few more miles from Horse Creek Lodge too.
    The road is open from Bend, through Sisters and up and over Hoodoo/Santiam Pass area. The back, windy road is not open.
    Ok thanks. Are the views on this lower section worth the trip out of the way to that area? The trail sounds just right for my son. The cabin looks great! Or should we hit up something else instead? Hood River/Syncline or Sisters/Peterson Ridge?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Ok thanks. Are the views on this lower section worth the trip out of the way to that area? The trail sounds just right for my son. The cabin looks great! Or should we hit up something else instead? Hood River/Syncline or Sisters/Peterson Ridge?
    This section of MRT is perfect for your son. The entire ride is a beauty. I believe that he will enjoy it. Big trees and no suffering climbs at all.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    This section of MRT
    Randall, I live in Eugene now for grad school. Come down and visit and lets ride the NUT or MRT

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RighteousTrail View Post
    Randall, I live in Eugene now for grad school. Come down and visit and lets ride the NUT or MRT
    PM me your phone #. I am down with some "Southern Exposure". Seriously, I did not ride in your area enough last season!

-Cheers!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    I rode MRT today and the snow patches started appearing about a mile before blue pool but they weren't big patches. The long patches start about a mile after blue pool. There were about 3 log crossings too. Over all it was in good shape.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Never ridden MRT, but I've got 4 days at the Paradise campground booked for late June. Can't wait. Any other recomended trails in that area?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Rode MRT yesterday (Wed.) from lower lot to Blue Pool. Excellent conditions up to the 2nd (long) bridge above Trailbridge parking. Still some snow patches above that, which required hiking. Four trees down on entire ride. Fantastic!