Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swissam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,128

    Moving from Switzerland to Oregon?

    Me and my wife must be crazy but we are contemplating moving to Oregon from Zurich. Why? Cause we are sick of the rat race of professional employment and want to build our own future, which we cant do here due to cost and a stubborn "das ist verboten" mentality that clings to tradition. So we *plan* on leaving our well paying jobs, an easy life, a safe country whose system works even though you cant do anything new here. And........the best damn place to ride a MTB in the world. Nothing beats the Alps, nothing. The sheer number of trails, and the fact they are all easily accessible with cable cars, ski lifts, or the public transport, and that every trail has so much variety from top to bottom.......yeah, its a rad place to ride...until a hobby sheep farmer chases you or places logs across trails on public land that he is renting for his sheep. Mentality. But I can still come back every year on vacation so our kids can see their grandparents. Not a total loss. Anyways we are looking for a place to build a small boutique eco resort and we are somewhat settled on Oregon. So looking through the internets it seems like Oakridge is the epicenter of great trails in Oregon or is somewhere even better? I hear Bend people saying Oakridge is better so I assume its so? We want to stay on the green side of the Cascades so I am trying to decide between somewhere around Oakridge/Eugene or maybe even along the coast (Florence?) Trading better trails for ocean access. We are planing on visiting several areas this summer and talking to zoning/building code officials about the feasibility of an eco resort (tree houses for example) and to look at properties plus to ride as much as possible. I don't know really what to ask other than "Talk me out of moving to Oregon".
    Ok, I do have two questions. Most of the videos Ive seen of those areas I mentioned it seems to be all dirt. A few roots, maybe a rock or two but for the most part just buff dirt trails. Is this true? Any rock gardens or technical trails? How is the Williamette Pass bike Park? Any good? Thanks for any feedback, I tried to keep this short but such a life changing move shouldn't be taken lightly. Just trying to weigh my risks. It looks to be pretty high...lol

  2. #2
    Metalheadbikerider
    Reputation: free-agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,753
    I'm out the door in a few minutes so I can't post much, but I would give Randy Dreiling at
    Oregon Adventures a call. Super nice guy who has worked really hard to establish the mtb destination that Oakridge is today. Welcome to Single Track Paradise! | Oregon Adventures
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tbmaddux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    Ok, I do have two questions. Most of the videos Ive seen of those areas I mentioned it seems to be all dirt. A few roots, maybe a rock or two but for the most part just buff dirt trails. Is this true? Any rock gardens or technical trails? How is the Williamette Pass bike Park?
    Your best bet for technical is either eroded old-school fall-line that hasn't been adopted/rerouted yet, or lava flows. The former is here and there. A good example of the latter would be a few sections on the McKenzie River Trail.

    Oakridge was declared an IMBA gold-level ride center last year. Big region. Hundreds of miles of trails in the USFS ranger district that surrounds the town. Some up to an hour away from the town itself. A fraction of them are regularly maintained and kept clear of blowdown and debris, largely by volunteers (GOATS, DoD, CCP). The vast majority of the trails date back to the early 20th century and are hiking trails that many mountain bikers now enjoy. As such the trails can have a similar character. Often narrow and exposed. Not many grade reversals and in many cases you go straight for a long ways then suddenly turn and go straight again.

    That said there is variety if you look for it, and it's easy to find favorite trails that match your preference. Sign up for MBO and come check it out. Then if you're serious about starting something in Oakridge, talking to Randy is a good suggestion. I'd also suggest getting in touch with Derrick at the Willamette Mercantile, Lee at Life Cycle Bike Shop in Eugene, and Brock with the Disciples of Dirt. You can find all four of them at MBO.

    I would avoid the coast. Eugene would put you with striking distance of both the coast and the mountains. Look for other threads about that.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sketchbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    637
    I've been to switzerland twice now, and it's surreal. Wish i could afford to live there.

    Tradition can suck, but at the same time it makes switzerland what it is. Being chased by a farmer or mobbed by cows is part of the deal

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    149
    I have been to Switzerland and done a bit of riding there and thought it was amazing. I also think Oregon is a pretty great place to live and ride, however it isn't anywhere on the scale of Switzerland. SO you may be a little underwhelmed when you come and visit.

    An eco-lodge could do well, but finding a good location might be tough depending on what you are envisioning. If you want the lodge to be based around biking then Oakridge might be a good starting point. They have a lot of really great trails and not a lot of good lodging. The Willamette Pass bike park is ok, but not great. Though I am not sure if they are even open anymore for MTBing. It will be disappointing for you coming off the resorts in the Alps.

    Other possible options for locations you should look into are the McKenzie Bridge area, Umpqua Trail area along Hwy 138 and Parkdale near mount hood. All these are great areas for mountain biking. Bend is a great area also with a ton of tourism, but there is already a lot of lodging here and you will probably have a hard time finding land to put an eco-lodge.

    Like you have seen the trails here don't have a lot of rock gardens, they are mostly dirt with some roots and rocks here and there. The coast doesn't really have any mountain biking trails so if you are looking at that area you will probably have to turn your focus to a different type of client.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    297

    Re: Moving from Switzerland to Oregon?

    I was in Zurich two years ago and stayed one weekend in Lenzerheide. Rented a bike for the day and rode. That place was phenomenal. Absolutely beautiful. I wish I could have ridden more than just the one day. I think you'll find the riding in Oregon to be just as enjoyable. Eugene, Bend, Oakridge, and Hood River are all great places to live and ride, though Oakridge is definitely a smaller town and that lifestyle is not for everyone. I can say that as I grew up in a county of 4400 people in Virginia.

    For the rest of the board, here is some eye candy of Switzerland that the gentleman wants to leave behind.Moving from Switzerland to Oregon?-img_20140927_151643463.jpgMoving from Switzerland to Oregon?-img_20140927_151709826_hdr.jpgMoving from Switzerland to Oregon?-img_20140927_152707520.jpg
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swissam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by nh4cl View Post
    I was in Zurich two years ago and stayed one weekend in Lenzerheide. Rented a bike for the day and rode. That place was phenomenal. Absolutely beautiful. I wish I could have ridden more than just the one day. I think you'll find the riding in Oregon to be just as enjoyable. Eugene, Bend, Oakridge, and Hood River are all great places to live and ride, though Oakridge is definitely a smaller town and that lifestyle is not for everyone. I can say that as I grew up in a county of 4400 people in Virginia.

    For the rest of the board, here is some eye candy of Switzerland that the gentleman wants to leave behind.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140927_151643463.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	1055335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140927_151709826_HDR.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	1055336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140927_152707520.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	1055337
    Top of Rothorn, great trails. I love the Lenzerheide region and the trails on the other side of the valley (from the bike park) are even better. Yes I may be leaving it all behind, but I will still come back from time to time.
    Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone here on who to contact.
    I should note the other two places we are looking at is upstate New York and Pigsah (Brevard) in North Carolina. Any comparison between those two and Oregon?

  8. #8
    Metalheadbikerider
    Reputation: free-agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,753
    Those places are horrible. Build a great place to stay in Oakridge, preferably before this Summer so I have a place to stay. I'm too old to camp, and I like hot tubs.
    I'm kidding about the other places, of course, I have never been to either. Oakridge does seem very ready for a nice place to stay, though.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swissam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    Those places are horrible. Build a great place to stay in Oakridge, preferably before this Summer so I have a place to stay. I'm too old to camp, and I like hot tubs.
    I'm kidding about the other places, of course, I have never been to either. Oakridge does seem very ready for a nice place to stay, though.
    Oakridge does seem nice and my heart is set on the west.....BUT....that iron deficiency has me worried. I love rock gardens, Love,Love, Love them. NY has tons of rocks, NC as well. NY has lift served bike parks, Oregon as well (Williamette Pass is in question as to being open or not). Is it because some of those trails are so new that the rocks and roots have yet to be exposed? Or is it because there is simply no rocks?
    In the end this is a business and lifestyle decision. From the business perspective Oregon and NC seem to be a better fit for our targeted audience (not just bikers). NY would be easier since I have family there plus it's easier to get back to Switzerland (8hr travel vs 16hr). Hmmm , sigh. Maybe I should just stay here? Despite how great the riding is here my soul and heart do not feel "at home" here so it's time for a change.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    94
    Swissam, I agree with the others who say that Oakridge has a need for a place like you are proposing. And, for your rocky riding, you might want to try out the Mt Bachelor bike park, lots of sharp rocks there. Once you get here, you might learn to appreciate the Oregon "flow" it can really be quite fun.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    297
    PM me if you would like to discuss NC and NY versus Oregon in detail.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,294
    Would you like to trade places?

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Would you like to trade places?

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    Yes, inam down for the house swap, trading places as well. I will even throw in a wife and a couple of kids

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,708
    I'd put off a decision to move to 'merica through the presidential election. Although there could a large number of people willing to trade places with you.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,369
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I'd put off a decision to move to 'merica through the presidential election. Although there could a large number of people willing to trade places with you.
    Good point...

    Oakridge definitely has it's hits & misses as you'll see when you come for a visit. In it's current state, the entire town is hurting from an economic standpoint and there's not much there...as in no quality grocery store for starters, no hospital and when we asked at The Mercantile where we could get a quality breakfast, the owner suggested Dairy Queen (a fast food establishment famous for their soft serve ice cream).

    On the flip side, because it is sooooo depressed, the area is STARVING for new businesses to move into the area. There is literally UNLIMITED potential for a business like you're suggesting because 98% of the lodging available in town is very basic hotel rooms. I probably don't have to tell you that eco-travelers and upper income Americans in particular love paying extra money for anyplace with the word "eco" in their name. Good luck!!

  16. #16
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,745
    Oakridge is a run down town but a great place to ride a bicycle half the year. I'm sure there are housing values. I'm sure there are business opportunities but I don't know if the hospitality industry is the best of the opportunities.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,658
    Doesn't Oregon get a shit load of rain?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,073
    There are some quasi eco lodging esque edtablishments around the area. Maybe take a drive one valley over down the Umpqua & check out some places like Lemelo lodge to get a reference. There's also Clear lake lodge & others in McKenzie valley. Then as you head west there are all kinds of ranch style lodges.

    I've lived in Keen Valley NY, Waterbury VT, Asheville NC, spent rouphly a year in Chamonix and living in the Cascades is an awesome environment. We don't have NE rock here as our rock is mainly sedimentary & metamorphic vs granite further east. I find compared to those areas the tech lies in slaying turns & riding faster which becomes aparant when my friends visit. With that said there are plenty of roots & rocks to be had.

    I wouldn't rule out the coast in the area you're thinking either. Big fan of Yachats. Personaly I don't see your idea being very in demand for Oakridhe 6 months out of the year, I don't think Willamette pass even opened last year? If you do make the move I would be interested in possibly working with you. Building/renovating interesting structures is my living. Good luck
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swissam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I'd put off a decision to move to 'merica through the presidential election. Although there could a large number of people willing to trade places with you.
    This is the unspoken elephant in the room, or jackass, whichever way you look at it. As much as I avoid political discussions (I'm a moderate in a world full of wing nuts) this is a big factor as well. Sooo, if that 10 year old spoiled rich kid brat stuck in an old body gets elected I doubt I would want to move back to the U.S BUT at the same time I don't want to explain, everyday, how could America elect an idiot. I had to deal with that with Bush, don't want to do it again. So I might HAVE to move back if that lifelong democrat posing as a right wing nut gets elected. Don't republicans ever look at his past and where he stood on issues before he became a birther? Didn't he become a birther at the suggestion of the Clintons? Isn't he running to make sure Hilary is a shoe in? I blame the media and the lack of some people to think objectively, or to just think period.
    Anyways, this election looks like we are screwed either way. I kinda like Bernie(better than the others), but what he is proposing might work in a country with 10 million people but a country with 370 million? I don't think so. But I do agree the working class in the U.S is getting screwed and most people vote against their own best interests. Political rant over.
    It is something to consider before moving, but it won't dictate our descision, even if The Hair Ball gets elected.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swissam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Would you like to trade places?

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    The grass is always greener on the other side.

    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Yes, inam down for the house swap, trading places as well. I will even throw in a wife and a couple of kids
    Is she hot? You can have my wife and kids as well. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Doesn't Oregon get a shit load of rain?
    So does Zurich, in fact Eugene has more sunny days. Our refuge is the south side of the Alps where it's normally sunny, like the east side of the Cascades.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swissam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    There are some quasi eco lodging esque edtablishments around the area. Maybe take a drive one valley over down the Umpqua & check out some places like Lemelo lodge to get a reference. There's also Clear lake lodge & others in McKenzie valley. Then as you head west there are all kinds of ranch style lodges.

    I've lived in Keen Valley NY, Waterbury VT, Asheville NC, spent rouphly a year in Chamonix and living in the Cascades is an awesome environment. We don't have NE rock here as our rock is mainly sedimentary & metamorphic vs granite further east. I find compared to those areas the tech lies in slaying turns & riding faster which becomes aparant when my friends visit. With that said there are plenty of roots & rocks to be had.

    I wouldn't rule out the coast in the area you're thinking either. Big fan of Yachats. Personaly I don't see your idea being very in demand for Oakridhe 6 months out of the year, I don't think Willamette pass even opened last year? If you do make the move I would be interested in possibly working with you. Building/renovating interesting structures is my living. Good luck
    This is interesting. Was W.P open for winter? Why didn't they open for summer?
    Like I said before we are not set on any one place. Some of the negative marks against Oakridge for me include; good ol boy system in place thus a city hall that doesn't really work, missing money and whatnot, from what I've read. Not enough amenities, a bit too far from civilization. And what about that dam+earthquake= bye, bye Oakridge, Eugene,etc.
    As far as the other six months we will cater to other guests, not just MTBers. I don't want to go into specifics and put our business plan on the Internet but I can say we will attract people regardless of weather. But once the sun breaks out we will focus more on recreation.
    I will defiantly keep you in mind if this goes through. Interesting structures they will be for sure. Building codes will be our biggest hurdle I believe, but since it's not residential it might be easier. Either way I'm not too worried about it since I'm not planning to build hippy shacks. The structures may be interesting, but they will be sound, and over built like Swiss homes.
    Me and the misses sat down and calculated our "nest egg" and I'm feeling more confident now. It all comes down to location......if we actually do this mind you.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tbmaddux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    This is interesting. Was W.P open for winter? Why didn't they open for summer?
    Willamette Pass just reopened for the first winter in the past two years. I don't think it was open for bikes since 2013, based on the lack of videos of anyone riding it since then. Couldn't say why, but my guess is that they just completely shut down everything and waited for the snow to return.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,073
    Hippy structures, haha....I like it. One may categorize the tree houses as hippy structures. On that note I believe the guy with the TV show that builds the elaborate tree houses did so non permitted & is now in some hot water. I focused on timber frame structures for many years. There is a faux European tourist hell of a town in WA, Leavenworth, with Swisss/German style buildings. My guess would be the permitting process in Oakridge would be as about lax/easy as it gets in the states.

    The dam failing is an interesting thought & something I've pondered myself looking at potentially buying property in the area. There are a series of dams & the upper most one is a massive structure. If the big one they speak of hit Oregon I think you can count on most of the state being pretty well paralyzed. I know nothing of the upper dams structural integrity but likely massive land slides blocking the road/valley would be a bigger long term factor. From many vantage points you can see enormous old land slides. One can't plan for all variables.

    I think Wallamette pass didn't open the previous 2 years & in general is nonprofitable, but don't quote me on that. I wasn't even aware they had any summer activity there & have personally never been. If I head out that way for snow it's backcountry on Diamond Peak which is killer in my book. Last 2 seasons was 3AM start on Diamond for a pow run, followed by some excellent mtb in the afternoon...that will put a smile on your face.

    An up and coming area that seems very commercialy viable is Stevenson WA. It went from pretty much nothing to a relatively bustling area with 2 excellent brew pubs, restaurants etc. It's the jumping off point for LOTS of recreation & is just at the edge of the rain belt. If I were to open an adventure oriented business that'd be it. Keep us posted on how your visit pans out
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,294
    WP is too small and too far out to make it profitable enough to run the lifts... stick a fork in her, she's done. Oakridge is way too hillbilly and way too XCish for my tastes but I do enjoy riding there every fall. Would never ever consider living there - eco tourism or not! Now Ashland... that's a different story. Still amazed how Oak Ridge gets all the press in the mags yet Ashland is WORLDS better as both a town and for more DH oriented trails. Probably because they hold MTB Oregon in Oak Ridge? Have fun with that...

    To each their own,

    G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swissam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    WP is too small and too far out to make it profitable enough to run the lifts... stick a fork in her, she's done. Oakridge is way too hillbilly and way too XCish for my tastes but I do enjoy riding there every fall. Would never ever consider living there - eco tourism or not! Now Ashland... that's a different story. Still amazed how Oak Ridge gets all the press in the mags yet Ashland is WORLDS better as both a town and for more DH oriented trails. Probably because they hold MTB Oregon in Oak Ridge? Have fun with that...

    To each their own,

    G MAN
    Funny, I was just getting ready to ask about the Ashland/Medford region. Looking at Trailforks there seems to be quite a few trails around there. My family in NY recommended that area as they have friends in Ashland. It also gets its fair share of tourists so that's a plus. So how is the riding in Ashland? I've seen a few videos and it seems to have more rocks. Quite far from any major airport though. Real estate is much more expensive as well. At first I wrote it off because it was in the continued drought zone and all future climate change models basically show everything south of Lane county as becoming a dust bowl in the next 20-50 years, some say sooner.
    Climate refugees is something to take into account as well. Civilization will start to move further north as southern areas dry up, over heat and become unsustainable to life. We are already seeing climate refugees coming from Africa here in Europe. Some people will dismiss this and call them "economic refugees" or "social refugees" but that fact remains that many of them can no longer farm their land due to continued dust bowl conditions.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1
    The riding in Ashland is really good, but I wouldn't consider it to have lots of rocks. There are some trails outside of the mt. Ashland area, but overall the riding options are limited compared to an area like Oakridge. I would be concerned about the trails becoming old if I lived there. The airport situation in Ashland would be no worse than Oakridge. Oregon, especially southern Oregon, does have its share of refugees. We call them Californians .

    None of that matters though. You should buy a place by Falls City, near Black Rock. Excellent riding. There is a place for sale right near it. Build some of your own lift-served trails, get high speed internet and I'd practically live out there. Not much tourism going to happen out there, but still... .

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    Funny, I was just getting ready to ask about the Ashland/Medford region. Looking at Trailforks there seems to be quite a few trails around there. My family in NY recommended that area as they have friends in Ashland. It also gets its fair share of tourists so that's a plus. So how is the riding in Ashland? I've seen a few videos and it seems to have more rocks. Quite far from any major airport though. Real estate is much more expensive as well. At first I wrote it off because it was in the continued drought zone and all future climate change models basically show everything south of Lane county as becoming a dust bowl in the next 20-50 years, some say sooner.
    Climate refugees is something to take into account as well. Civilization will start to move further north as southern areas dry up, over heat and become unsustainable to life. We are already seeing climate refugees coming from Africa here in Europe. Some people will dismiss this and call them "economic refugees" or "social refugees" but that fact remains that many of them can no longer farm their land due to continued dust bowl conditions.
    I think you're over-thinking this! Let me put it this way... Ashland has 3 of my favorite microbreweries, lots of hot babes, excellent restaurants, and is actually considered a cultural/artsy area which is pretty darned hard to pull off in the granola pacific NW! People go to Ashland to spend money.
    Oakridge? Well they have a Dairy Queen, meth heads and nervous sheep; keep that bike locked up!

    Have FUN!

    G

    PS - I have heard that real estate in Ashland is getting out of hand - mainly due to all the California equity refugees moving there. They have some hot daughters tho!
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swissam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    . Ashland has 3 of my favorite microbreweries, lots of hot babes, excellent restaurants, hot daughters tho!
    ASHLAND IT IS! Thanks Gman.

  29. #29
    More than one, of course!
    Reputation: far raider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    199
    Swissam, just had to reply. I lived in Austria for 3 years (contract position) and understand what you say about tradition but given the option to build a life in die Schwiez or the U.S., it would not even be a question - I'd learn the Swiss national anthem. You want to live in the States to start a business and escape the rat race? Realistically, you are going to have to bust your donkey to make a business work. Perhaps move to the E.U. if you feel Switzerland is not to your taste.
    Seriously though, do you envy the: medical system here in the U.S.? Political climate? Tax system? School systems? The BS celebrity worship culture? The poverty? The social safety nets? The infrastructure? The mass transit systems? The mass shootings? The gun laws? The preponderance of lawyers and the "I'll sue" culture? The respect for science and knowledge? Shall I go on?
    There is no gnikcuf way I would look forward to living in the U.S. if I were in your shoes.

    Cue the Pro- "Merica, f, yea" tards and bash on.
    "It's NEVER all downhill" DMR

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    232
    As somebody with a sorta similar journey allow me to give my perspective... I grew up in Berlin (not Switzerland but close enough and moved to Silicon Valley in 1998, then retired to Bend OR in 2014. People that are driven and smart and work hard can live much better here than in most EU countries. I'm early 50s now and don't really have to work anymore (in Germany I would still be slaving along). But, there is a large part of the population that barely scrape by here, working two jobs and similar. So the spread is much bigger here than in more "socialist" countries. Politics here look pretty much like a pissing contest for somebody who grew up in a politically more developed country.

    As you mentioned issues with other users like the sheep farmer, the way I like to describe it is, in Germany you can ride anywhere (at least in the 90s) unless it's forbidden. In the US you can ride anywhere it is explicitly allowed. There are user groups here that have the "nobody but me" mentally too. And you have a lot of environmental businesses that sue the government left and right to close down access to public lands (the government actually pays their lawyers through an 'equal access to justice' act).

    The good news is the US is so much larger than Western Europe. There are national parks here that are larger than some German states. So there is still a lot of land to explore, Oregon is 39th in population density, and most of the population is in the Portland/Salem area.

    As to where set up shop in Oregon, it depends on what people you want to cater to. As mentioned above, most of the population lives west of the Cascades. That's also the rainy area. Bend/Redmond/Sisters is pretty much the center of the high desert east of the Cascades. Currently you could ski at Mt Bachelor, or ride in shorts out to the east. It is nothing like the alps though (been around the Mt Blanc, Lake Garda, Garmisch etc.). Oakridge is a nice riding area, unfortunately not much else around there. The Bend area has quite a few people with expendable income as it has become a retirement spot for active people. Portland has more urban professionals.
    HTH

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swissam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,128
    You both raise valid points. It's had me thinking hard the last few days and your both right. The lawyer/lawsuit culture really puts me off and made me re open my eyes to living here in a country where adults are expected and allowed to act like adults. Conflicts are settled by the police which issue fines to however is wrong. No lawyers, no money involved except the fine. Plus you never get arrested unless you really commit a real crime. In the U.S I've been tossed in jail just for standing in the wrong place, wrong time. Almost every offense involves jail time no matter how minor. Pathetic really. But I do love the big open space and the genuine friendliness found in the U.S. And yes you can still make it big in the U.S. Meanwhile we have decided to wait and save for another year and see what the options look like then. So we're staying here for now. The sun came out, many lower lift served trails are now snow free (WOOHOO!!!) plus I got a promotion. Life in the rat race isn't that bad after all. But we're still set on having our own resort someday. We came really close to buying a beach resort in the Phillipines last year but after a month There we found the weather too monotonous and would really miss the seasons. Thanks again for everyone's input. I may be reviving this thread again next year. Lol

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,658
    The last time I was in Lugano, I witnessed a guy getting harassed by cops for crossing the street in the wrong place. If you think our country is so, "pathetic" then you should just stay where you are, in fear of making it even more "pathetic".

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swissam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    The last time I was in Lugano, I witnessed a guy getting harassed by cops for crossing the street in the wrong place. If you think our country is so, "pathetic" then you should just stay where you are, in fear of making it even more "pathetic".
    Cops will be cops no matter where but was he arrested? That's what's pathetic. The U.S Justice Business ahem, I meant system. Arrested for a $35 fine that cost me 5 hours of jail time and an extra $250 in court/processing fees. That IS pathetic, sorry if you disagree.

    Edit: sorry maybe you misunderstood me. I was not calling the U.S pathetic, only the lawsuit culture and the Justice revenue generator.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tbmaddux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,270
    You should still come to MBO.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    40
    If you ever re-visit this idea, let me add my +1 for Medford/Ashland (Rogue Valley). It doesn't have the cachet of Bend, but the place is surrounded on all sides by mountains and a growing trail network.

    Also, people don't realize there are a quarter million people in the 40-mile corridor between Grants Pass and Ashland, and Medford's airport will at least get you (and, more importantly, your paying customers) to and from the major hubs of the west coast. While real estate in Ashland proper is expensive, you'll find better values as you get further away.

    Oh, and with only 19 inches rain per year, Rogue Valley weather is way more favorable for year-round riding.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swissam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPhil View Post
    If you ever re-visit this idea, let me add my +1 for Medford/Ashland (Rogue Valley). It doesn't have the cachet of Bend, but the place is surrounded on all sides by mountains and a growing trail network.

    Also, people don't realize there are a quarter million people in the 40-mile corridor between Grants Pass and Ashland, and Medford's airport will at least get you (and, more importantly, your paying customers) to and from the major hubs of the west coast. While real estate in Ashland proper is expensive, you'll find better values as you get further away.

    Oh, and with only 19 inches rain per year, Rogue Valley weather is way more favorable for year-round riding.
    Ashland did look the most promising. I will keep it in mind. We are also considering Spain and Portugal. For now we are just plugging away and saving money, or trying to save money. That YT Jeffsy keeps tempting me though. I don't need it, I don't need it, I have a Capra, I don't need it....whew, had a N+1 attack. I'm ok, for now. Oh wait, here comes the Wreckoning.............
    In the meantime I'm getting a Swiss Cycling Guide certificate this September. I plan on hosting a few camps next year not only for fun but to better understand MTB tourism and customer expectations, should be fun.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2014, 04:27 AM
  2. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 09:34 PM
  3. Moving to Oregon
    By Cortezz11 in forum Oregon
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-23-2013, 08:26 PM
  4. little switzerland trails?
    By Megashnauzer in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-09-2013, 02:55 PM
  5. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-24-2012, 12:56 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •