Est. 1971
    Jan 2004

Moving to southern Portland area

I've accepted a job in Newberg and am looking to relocate to the Sherwood/Tualatin area because I hate long commutes.

I've done a bit of looking around, and it seems the immedeate 'local' riding it pretty sparse. Can anyone give me an update on the trails I saw on MTBR in West Linn and Lake Oswego? Also any other local tips on LBS and knowledge around the southern perimeter would be highly welcomed. Thanks!

-Tim

Cougar Bait

Bonking ... not feelin' well Newberg, huh?

First of all...about the long commute: If you choose Tualatin, the commute could be about 30 minutes (depending on where you live in Tualatin and where you work in Newberg). Sherwood is much closer to Newberg, but it has even more plastic people than Tualatin (IMO), living in overpriced, undersized boxes.

OK...enough opinionizing...

I work in Sherwood and live in Dayton (where?!? - 7 miles west of Newberg). This is officially a bike shop dead area. The Newberg Bicycle Shoppe is small and mostly caters to roadies and BMX punks. The best shop in the area, sad to say, is Performance in Tualatin/Lake Oswego. I know...big corporation driving out the little guy, blah, blah, blah, but they have a great selection and prices that only the Wal-Mart of bike shops can bring you. Plus the guys that work there do ride and are pretty cool. For a good shop, try Lake Oswego proper, or drive up to Portland for a Bike Gallery or River City. For a GREAT shop, head south to Salem for Santiam Bicycles (it's really not that far). This is an outstanding, low pressure shop with lots of everything, but especially great people (Troy is the best! ).

Local riding is even harder to come by. The Lake O and West Linn trails are not really significant. Leaving from work in Newberg, your best bet would be to take back roads to Gales Creek or Browns Camp, but even this is 45 minutes away. About the same distance are the trails just outside of McMinnville. These are your typical "locals" trails that are unmarked, unmapped, unofficial trails that are tolerated rather than sanctioned by the timber company. A guide would be mandatory for your first few rides. These trails are rough and technical (true all-mountain). From Tualatin, you might try the Mollala River Corridor, again, this is about a 45-minute drive.

Sorry I couldn't clue you in on a secret suburban ride. And sorry for writing the longest post ever

Cougar Bait

Just looked at your profile...

Freeride heaven is south and west of Salem near a banjo-wielding town called Falls City. The Blackrock Trails are apparently great (don't know, I'm too chicken). This would be too far for an "after work" ride, but great for a weekend.

What the hell are you doing in Newberg, anyway?

Est. 1971
    Jan 2004
    Product design. I'm pretty excited about the opportunity and a move to a smaller town. I'm coming from Chicago where the only mtb area is small and mediocre and going more than 5 miles takes more than 1/2 hour anymore.

Not too worried about the plastic people, I'm just hoping for less traffic, less crush, more lifestyle. Seems there's some great riding an hour away in every direction.

Thanks for the tips.

-Tim