mtbr member

New question here. Moving to Southern Oregon

It is my goal to move to Southern Oregon, with my wife and 2 small children, any thoughts on where to move? I would like to be able to ride from the house. I've heard that Southern Californians are not real welcome. Is that true? I would not be moving there unless I shared at least some of the same view points on nature, mt biking, Californians, etc...I feel like I'm a Oregonian living in California. Any advice?

Tree Hugger
    Californians are not welcome in Southern Oregon. If you move up here, all the locals (who moved from California last year) will throw eggs at your car.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    You should feel at home in Southern California...Oops, I mean Southern Oregon.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    But to answer your question and not be an a-hole...Ashland would be on the top of my list if I were to move south, and of course, if I could afford it.

mtbr member
    Oldhouseman, thanks for the info, if money were an issue but wanted to stay close to that area, where then?

mtbr member
    I'm in Portland, so I'm definitely not an expert on Southern Oregon, but Grants Pass seems like an ok place. Not sure if you could ride right out of your house in Grants Pass though. Medford is another one, probably more affordable, and again, I have know idea about the riding around town. You could also check out Klamath Falls.

I really know nothing about these towns, other than just driving through them, but there is some very nice riding down there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I live in Ashland and ride from home (you can be on dirt about a mile from anywhere in town).
    I am also a sales rep who covers most of southern OR and I have ridden most towns in the 'state of Jefferson' area. I would say Grants Pass is the next best area followed by Klamath Falls. But don't rule out Bend - my wife would move there in a minute - just not year-round biking.
    and I am a native Californian as are most people in Ashland and Bend it seems

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    We're not judging you here, but your income and quality of life will have to be accounted for... Ashland has the best trails in So. Oregon. Period. Affording to live in Ashland with a family? Yikes! It's not gonna be cheap...

BTW, Bend is not So. Oregon...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Wow a mile from the dirt? that sounds great! do you agree with Uncle that Ashland has the best trails? What kind of sales rep, I'm in sales as well.

Ashland is year round riding? does it snow at all? I really would like to ride year round, but a snow man at Christmas would be a nice change of pace.

what do you mean by "state of Jefferson"?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Uncle Cliffy is right. Ashland is expensive. But if you have the money its an alright place to live. Ashland has the most trails, the most easily accessable trails, and the most user friendly trails. But there are better trails around in the rogue valley. If you want out of your house riding, anywere in the rogue valley near the hills will be great. I live in medford and if I had a xc bike I could be on dirt in any given direction in 30 minutes.

mtbr member
    The State of Jefferson is a mythical place imagined by northern California seceationist.
    Best idea to come out of Norcal as far as I'm concerned.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly