too late to die young now

moving Santa Cruz to Portland area

any suggestions on areas to live close to trails? will be looking for home and tech job. working in Sili but currently living in Santa Cruz Mountains so commuting is no big deal to me.
    what matters most is living close enough to A+ riding right out the back door, prefer forested terrain.

also- I hear the dream of the 90's is still alive in Portland, is this true?
    \sigma_T\sigma_x \geq \tfrac{\hbar}{2m} \left|\left\langle p_x\right\rangle\right|.

COTA member
    I would recommend living in Bend, OR and working from home.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A+ riding is an hour drive outside Portland.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by dry side View Post
    i would recommend living in bend, or and working from home.
    +1!!!!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I'm sorry. Santa Cruz has awesome weather and great riding. I bet you know that All of the good Portland riding is at least an hour away. Portland is a terrarium but a beautiful city. Lots of folks love it and I don't blame them but we are putting lots of money away dreaming of warm places with close riding...
    Last edited by Jaybo; 03-04-2012 at 07:28 PM.

too late to die young now
    hah - great responses, similar to what I've been hearing but wanted to throw it out to the crowd 'in the know' (MTBR's of course =)

thanks folks - appreciate the help!
    \sigma_T\sigma_x \geq \tfrac{\hbar}{2m} \left|\left\langle p_x\right\rangle\right|.

FKA Malibu412
    Pick the right location in Longview WA or Castle Rock WA and you can nearly ride forested trails outside your door and commute to PDX/Vancouver/Camas. Quiet little towns I wouldn't mind living in.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Felton_Flyer View Post
    any suggestions on areas to live close to trails? will be looking for home and tech job. working in Sili but currently living in Santa Cruz Mountains so commuting is no big deal to me.
    what matters most is living close enough to A+ riding right out the back door, prefer forested terrain.

also- I hear the dream of the 90's is still alive in Portland, is this true?
    If I knew then what I know now, I never would have moved here. If you want MTB to be a regular part of your life, look elsewhere.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    If I knew then what I know now, I never would have moved here. If you want MTB to be a regular part of your life, look elsewhere.
    That smarts.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl View Post
    That smarts.
    I certainly don't mean for it to be taken personally. I've met a lot of truly wonderful people as a result of moving here.

Singletrack Addict
    I certainly don't mean for it to be taken personally. I've met a lot of truly wonderful people as a result of moving here.
    No worries Sean.

Double entendre intended. It's smart advice. Too many people moved here with assumptions. At least Felton_Flyer is asking questions not just assuming that "Great Bike City" means great mountain biking.

Sure I get frustrated and disappointed when people like you forsake your passion for mtb because it becomes such a hassle. I get that. It's also why I haven't been able to instil that passion in my kids and that, for me, is what really smarts.

But having grown up here and even my time living in Eugene, mountain biking has always been like skiing: you got to get in the car and drive to the mountains. Fortunately, we have great mountains.

I'll get really concerned when you stop building amazing mountain bikes and start building bastard track bikes for hipsters.

Obviously Single

Hood River? or West Side?

If you didn't mind commuting from Hood River every day (that's about 1.5 hours each way), that would be a nice MTB place to live. During the winter, when the trails are too snowy, ski at Mt. Hood.

But, alas, not many jobs for the masses in Hood River. (Also not many jobs in Bend, or Oakridge, or Ashland, ...)

Another option: the coastal range (i.e. the Tillamook Forest) has virtually-year-around riding, though a few months of the year is still going to be pouring rain.

The good news: there's lots of opportunity to make it better.

Here's an idea: move here, and help us get more trails!
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl View Post
    No worries Sean.

Double entendre intended. It's smart advice. Too many people moved here with assumptions. At least Felton_Flyer is asking questions not just assuming that "Great Bike City" means great mountain biking.

Sure I get frustrated and disappointed when people like you forsake your passion for mtb because it becomes such a hassle. I get that. It's also why I haven't been able to instil that passion in my kids and that, for me, is what really smarts.

But having grown up here and even my time living in Eugene, mountain biking has always been like skiing: you got to get in the car and drive to the mountains. Fortunately, we have great mountains.

I'll get really concerned when you stop building amazing mountain bikes and start building bastard track bikes for hipsters.
    I have to say that, excluding the trail riding thing, it's been a pretty good experience. For most of my life I had lived in a 'burb of Baltimore or DC, luckily always close to singletrack. Riding to and from either of those cities from where I lived was straight up scary due to the lack of infrastructure and general area attitude. It was hard to be a "cyclist" in a very practical way but easy to be a recreational mountain biker.

When I first moved here, I eliminated three hours of daily commuting. A 90min drive to rd44 or a 45min drive to Browns didn't seem like a big deal. I had the time, didn't have a rugrat, and worked for "the man" so my time demands were predictable. Obviously that's changed.

When we were reading up on moving here, the prospect of opening trails in FP seemed to be very positive at the time. I convinced myself that it was just around the corner. I now have zero hope that it will ever happen and to be honest, it makes me sick...and angry. I won't poach because I think it's a selfish decision that would push the cause back. Still, I'm disgusted at the situation.

I guarantee with 100% certainty that a "sweet fixie" will never come out of my shop. Ever. ;-) (for real...NEVER)

Metalheadbikerider

Out of curiosity....

Could you ride your mtb to the trails in those places?
    How did the riding compare to, say, Scappoose?

Those sound like loaded questions, but they are not.
    I grew up in Wisconsin where I drove to riding places that weren't as good as Scappy, and barely better than Powell Butte, so I am ok with our local riding experiences. That being said, we have a hell of a long way to go to make "Ride to Where You Ride" a MUCH better experience.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    Could you ride your mtb to the trails in those places?
    How did the riding compare to, say, Scappoose?

Those sound like loaded questions, but they are not.
    I grew up in Wisconsin where I drove to riding places that weren't as good as Scappy, and barely better than Powell Butte, so I am ok with our local riding experiences. That being said, we have a hell of a long way to go to make "Ride to Where You Ride" a MUCH better experience.
    yes and better (for me).

From 1986 to 2002 I lived 10mi or less to Patapsco State Park. 170mi of trail according to the site. I *could* ride there, and often did, but more often I tossed my bike in the back of my truck to ride after work. Easy and convenient as it was half way into my 11mi commute. A commute by the way, that was sketchy to do by bike.

I say better probably because I grew up on those trails. They have some steep punchy climbs, some swoopy groomed trails and plenty of super chunky tech sections. Like Scappoose, you could loop the trails and make a short ride OR you could stay out all day with little to no trail repetition.

I spent a spell in Providence, RI that has Lincoln Woods just outside the city. Good for MTB, great for trials and bouldering.

During the "dark times" I lived in a DC burb called Gaithersburg which is home to Schaeffer Farms, a trail network built by cyclists that is now part of the Montgomery County Epic trail. My girlfriend (now wife) lived less than 5 miles from Gambrill State Park and the Frederick Watershed which is another stellar riding area that can be almost anything you want it to be in terms of ride duration and technical riding.

The trails in Oregon are beautiful and I don't want to take anything away from that. The context of my statement was about living in Portland as a mountain biker and to say that given my current knowledge, I absolutely wouldn't do it again. Overall, it's been a great experience and there's no question that every day quality of life (other than riding dirt of course) is vastly improved over the hectic competitiveness that was my life in the DC area. The irony is that I was closer to nature there than I am here...at least in the way I prefer to experience it.

Other people might feel this way as well and I wouldn't want anyone to consider moving here without knowing the realities of it.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Don't live in HR and drive to Portland

Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan View Post
    If you didn't mind commuting from Hood River every day (that's about 1.5 hours each way), that would be a nice MTB place to live. During the winter, when the trails are too snowy, ski at Mt. Hood.

But, alas, not many jobs for the masses in Hood River. (Also not many jobs in Bend, or Oakridge, or Ashland, ...)

Another option: the coastal range (i.e. the Tillamook Forest) has virtually-year-around riding, though a few months of the year is still going to be pouring rain.

The good news: there's lots of opportunity to make it better.

Here's an idea: move here, and help us get more trails!
    It is a pounding driver! You drive through heavy rain in the west end of the Gorge and then into Portland traffic. It is much better to drive to HR on weekends. No time to ride if you are driving 3 hours a day...think about it.

I have ridden Santa Cruz extensively and the riding is better then here. The weather is better then here--A LOT better. The problem with Santa Cruz is massive amounts of people....and some of the California problems are well discussed.

Metalheadbikerider

Thanks for the reply.

As someone who is trying to get a better experience here for mtb'ers, I like to read these stories about experiences elsewhere.
    Cheers!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    As someone who is trying to get a better experience here for mtb'ers, I like to read these stories about experiences elsewhere.
    Cheers!
    That's not lost on me and I appreciate all that you in the NWTA are doing. When we're able to move, I'll be writing a letter to the folks at the city, explaining to them why I'm taking my family and business elsewhere. It won't be a drop in their financial bucket but it's better than going silently.

FWIW - If they opened F.P. tomorrow, I'd stay put...just saying.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That's not lost on me and I appreciate all that you in the NWTA are doing. When we're able to move, I'll be writing a letter to the folks at the city, explaining to them why I'm taking my family and business elsewhere. It won't be a drop in their financial bucket but it's better than going silently.

FWIW - If they opened F.P. tomorrow, I'd stay put...just saying.
    I am sorry that you were teased by the Forest Park joke. All of that effort, time, and money for a far worse situation than it was before "cyclist's " placed no bike signs at Trailheads. Keep turnin' out sweet rides and enjoy the upcoming season. Never go silently!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    FP is SUPER muddy until mid-to-late June. The only way I would enter that toxic dump is on a rigid single speed if I owned one due to the nasty conditions....

One thing I would like to say. I do believe the rides here that are an hour away are as good as the Santa Cruz rides but their trails in Santa Cruz are right in town almost. The rides around the college there are fantastic and that weather is incredible. awesome place to mountain bike.