Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Get to dah choppah

Moving to Redmond

I'm selling my place in the Portland area and moving to Redmond. I've spent much time in Bend and intended to move ther, and looked for about a year, but the price of housing was always higher than I had anticipated. It's not as cool to be in Redmond, but I think I saved about $200k vs. the same place on the west side of Bend.

Please discuss / tell me how smart or foolish I am -
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

Dude, got any schwag?
    Suck it up and move to Bend. ;o) Redmond is too far away from the trails and Bachy. You don't have to be on the west side.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Sent you a PM.

-Brian
    I'm insane

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSchwagman View Post
    Suck it up and move to Bend. ;o) Redmond is too far away from the trails and Bachy. You don't have to be on the west side.
    It's hardly "too far away", considering he currently resides in Portland! I can only imagine his present angst in driving at least an hour to get to good trails.

You'll also be close to great hiking/climbing at Smith Rock State Park; and a nice leisurely drive to the Metolius River area.

But you will miss out on the finer cuisine of Bend, and the great beer.

mtbr member
    I agree that you should move to bend. 200k savings? Are you looking at million dollar homes or something? Why not try out the east side? plenty of nice cheap places over there.

you can get a nice 3br/2bath house on the east side for UNDER 200.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Redmond gets less snow and precipitation but I still like Bend better. Bend has more trees and is closer to good riding but some good riding near Redmond too. The beauty of Central Oregon is the elevation tempers the heat and is rarely stays below freezing all day. Check the terms out:

Climatology Comparison for Bend, OR - weather.com
    Last edited by Jaybo; 01-09-2013 at 07:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icsloppl View Post
    I'm selling my place in the Portland area and moving to Redmond. I've spent much time in Bend and intended to move ther, and looked for about a year, but the price of housing was always higher than I had anticipated. It's not as cool to be in Redmond, but I think I saved about $200k vs. the same place on the west side of Bend.

Please discuss / tell me how smart or foolish I am -
    If you are in fact saving that much, then it was a good decision. Although the west side of Bend is a bit more scenic than Redmond, you are still not that far away from good riding. Shevlin Park/Mrazek trail is <15min via Tumalo, Gray Butte/Smith Rock trails <15min and the butte DH trails just west of Redmond is only minutes away as well. Your just tacking on 15 min drive to other good Deschute NF trails as compared to Bend, much better than +3hrs from Portland I would say. The only time I would sweat the area, would be the summers as it gets much hotter and drier than Portland with pretty dusty trails as compared to western trails that stay pretty good well into late summer, especially trails in the coastal range.
    Ride On!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    East side of Bend > any part of Redmond > Portland.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    But you will miss out on the finer cuisine of Bend, and the great beer.
    Bend has fine cuisine? I guess a local burrito stand is better than a Jack in the Box drive through... It's no Vegan BBQ food cart, like we have in PDX, though! Thems food carts is fine dining!
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Get to dah choppah
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Bend has fine cuisine? I guess a local burrito stand is better than a Jack in the Box drive through... It's no Vegan BBQ food cart, like we have in PDX, though! Thems food carts is fine dining!
    The Portland foody carts are pretty darn cool and don't cost a bunch.

My thinking, which may be rong -

The house i'm looking to buy in Redmond is around $200k. On the east side of Bend it would be about $275-300k, and on the west side probably about $375.

You can buy a lot of good eats and beers for the difference, and i really can't afford to be going out to eat all the time anyway. Living in Redmond will likely help cut down on the number of $50 nights out if nothing else.

You can do anything you can do if you lived in Bend, but many times you would have to drive there instead of riding or walking. That i see as the major drawback, but how much of a factor that really is I don't know. Bend is "better" in almost every way, but at what cost, and at what loss?
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    I guess it's all in how you define "fine cuisine". There is an old thread here somewhere on the cuisine of Bend. I seem to remember it mentioning how Bend has every major ethnic group covered, and covered well, save Korean (chicken rectums?) And our food carts (a couple dozen), while nowhere near in numbers as Portland, are fine and eclectic. And they get passing grades on state and county restaurant inspections! Can Portland claim that??

Vegan BBQ?? I'd rather shout at my shoes, or yawn in Technicolor, than have to rely on that.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

No kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    East side of Bend > any part of Redmond > Portland.
    Portland is a giant terrarium of water, gloom, moss, and weirdness

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I will chime in here. I moved from a sh1thole known as Klamath Falls to Redmond last summer. I came here after a divorce to get away from a miserable harpy of an ex-wife primarily, but a BIG part of the move was to ride my bike more. I was able to find a cheap place to rent in Redmond and get my son enrolled in Redmond high school for his freshman year. (his first year of public school). I work in Bend, so I commute about 20 minutes each way. I love the drive since it is very scenic and gives me a chance to wake up before or relax after work. With all that said, once my son graduates i can see making the move to Bend. My son and I both love the small town feel of Redmond and there are a few great places to eat and plenty of good beer, but I would love being able to ride from my house to great trails without the commute. That and all the great activities that Bend offers (concerts, movies, etc) would be much easier to attend if I lived more locally. I am not going to uproot my son again, especially during his high school years, so I will be staying for a few more years in Redmond, but after that I will probably move to Bend. ....Or Costa Rica Long story short, given a choice...move to Bend.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    The house i'm looking to buy in Redmond is around $200k. On the east side of Bend it would be about $275-300k, and on the west side probably about $375.

You can buy a lot of good eats and beers for the difference, and i really can't afford to be going out to eat all the time anyway. Living in Redmond will likely help cut down on the number of $50 nights out if nothing else.

You can do anything you can do if you lived in Bend, but many times you would have to drive there instead of riding or walking. That i see as the major drawback, but how much of a factor that really is I don't know. Bend is "better" in almost every way, but at what cost, and at what loss?
    Here's another way to look at it, just so you can consider all of the permutations:

Houses cost less now than they probably will for many years. Mortgage interest is at a very low point and 30 year fixed loans I believe are something like 3.5%. In other words it's a buyer's market.

In a few years, that house that you could have purchased in 2013 for $275,000 might cost a lot more and loans might be at a higher interest rate. Will you still be able to afford it at that point? This is all speculation of course, so who knows, but the point is this might be the easiest time in a long time to buy a house so why not get one in the place you would most want to live while the market is in your favor?

You mentioned $200,000 for a house in Redmond versus $275,000 for a house in Bend. That additional $75,000 in mortgage expense for the house in Bend over the house in Redmond comes out something like an additional $337 per month for 30 year fixed term. If you were to end up driving a lot from Redmond to all of the places you want to play, how much extra would gasoline cost you per month? I don't see gas prices dropping much anytime soon. Subtract out the additional gas expense for commuting from that $337 per month increase in your mortgage price and you may be looking at a difference of a couple of hundred bucks per month perhaps? Maybe less?

Personally, I would find a way to make it work. There's a reason houses cost more in Bend than they do in Redmond.

By the way, do you have children or do you anticipate having children anytime soon? If not, then schools don't figure into your calculation, but if so we can fill you in on the school situation too.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer
    There is an old thread here somewhere on the cuisine of Bend. I seem to remember it mentioning how Bend has every major ethnic group covered, and covered well, save Korean (chicken rectums?)
    One of the best threads ever.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I guess it's all in how you define "fine cuisine". There is an old thread here somewhere on the cuisine of Bend. I seem to remember it mentioning how Bend has every major ethnic group covered, and covered well, save Korean (chicken rectums?) And our food carts (a couple dozen), while nowhere near in numbers as Portland, are fine and eclectic. And they get passing grades on state and county restaurant inspections! Can Portland claim that??

Vegan BBQ?? I'd rather shout at my shoes, or yawn in Technicolor, than have to rely on that.
    Yeah, I was kidding... Back when I lived in Bend I feel like was it was pretty much burrito's, pizza, drive-in's, and the Pine Tavern.

Vegan bbq is disgusting... I don't know what they're thinking there...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Of course living closer to your work, assuming you go to work, is important. I liked Central Oregon better 15-20 years ago when I lived there as there wasn't as much sprawl...and it had a small town feeling.

Get to dah choppah
    That additional $75,000 in mortgage expense for the house in Bend over the house in Redmond comes out something like an additional $337 per month for 30 year fixed term. If you were to end up driving a lot from Redmond to all of the places you want to play, how much extra would gasoline cost you per month?
    Yup, i looked at that calculation and for me it comes out highly in favor of not living in Bend. My Subaru gets ~30MPG, it's about 30 miles round trip, and gas happens to cost about $3.37, so i can drive to Bend 100 times a month for the cost difference. I road ride as much as MTB as well, and have no issue riding to Bend for group rides and such.

I do intend to semi-retire, and i'm not exactly rich, so keeping recurring expenses down is important. If $$ was no issue Bend wins for sure. A potentially seerious detractor for Redmond appears to be the crime rate, which is very high for property crime
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Yup, i looked at that calculation and for me it comes out highly in favor of not living in Bend. My Subaru gets ~30MPG, it's about 30 miles round trip, and gas happens to cost about $3.37, so i can drive to Bend 100 times a month for the cost difference. I road ride as much as MTB as well, and have no issue riding to Bend for group rides and such.

I do intend to semi-retire, and i'm not exactly rich, so keeping recurring expenses down is important. If $$ was no issue Bend wins for sure. A potentially seerious detractor for Redmond appears to be the crime rate, which is very high for property crime
    You'll be working in Redmond? I didn't catch that part before. The commute from Bend to Redmond is pretty easy (straight shot) but it gets icy in the winter so I wouldn't want to do it daily if I didn't have to.

The road riding from RDM is pretty nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    redmond sucks. I would rather drive from Bend to redmond for work than live in redmond and drive to bend all the time to do anything remotely fun. I have lived in both places and have family still in both places. you will spend more money on gas going to bend once or twice a day than the savings for living in redmond.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    redmond sucks. I would rather drive from Bend to redmond for work than live in redmond and drive to bend all the time to do anything remotely fun. I have lived in both places and have family still in both places. you will spend more money on gas going to bend once or twice a day than the savings for living in redmond.
    Me thinks you may be an idiot...

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by wasfast View Post
    Me thinks you may be an idiot...
    Care to elaborate?

mtbr member
    It will be great to have you in Central Oregon whether you choose Redmond or Bend. Redmond is a bit more redneck, and Bend has more chi-chi yuppies. If you live in Redmond, there is plenty of riding close by, Maston, Cline Buttes, Smith Rock/Grey Butte (steeper climbing than anything around Bend) Radlands, and it's quicker to the Ochocos for what its worth. A recent newspaper article mentioned the property taxes are higher in Redmond than Bend. Either way, I am sure we would all welcome you to C.O. and hope to get some rides with ya and gladly show you around to the goodies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    His blanket statement, "Redmond sucks". is just a dumb thing to say. Redmond does not suck. I happen to like it quite a bit. I think Bend is an awesome place to live and I would prefer to live there myself, but my home is in Redmond right now and It is a very nice little city. The people are very friendly, There is a variety of different places to eat, not as many as Bend,but enough for me and my boy to be happy. We have a few very cool places to grab an excellent beer. Most notably, the very small, but VERY cool "Pig and pound" , which may be the best pub in all of central Oregon IMO. Redmond also has some great riding nearby, as mentioned above and Bend and all its awesome trails is only twenty minutes away.The dry canyon in Redmond is also a very cool place to run,ride,skate,take your dog or just hang out.

Redmond most certainly does not "suck". I have lived in a place that "sucks" for most of my life, a miserable hole of depression,drugs,angry people and little else. I know what a sucky town is and Redmond is a great place to live.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    His blanket statement, "Redmond sucks". is just a dumb thing to say. Redmond does not suck. I happen to like it quite a bit. I think Bend is an awesome place to live and I would prefer to live there myself, but my home is in Redmond right now and It is a very nice little city. The people are very friendly, There is a variety of different places to eat, not as many as Bend,but enough for me and my boy to be happy. We have a few very cool places to grab an excellent beer. Most notably, the very small, but VERY cool "Pig and pound" , which may be the best pub in all of central Oregon IMO. Redmond also has some great riding nearby, as mentioned above and Bend and all its awesome trails is only twenty minutes away.The dry canyon in Redmond is also a very cool place to run,ride,skate,take your dog or just hang out.

Redmond most certainly does not "suck". I have lived in a place that "sucks" for most of my life, a miserable hole of depression,drugs,angry people and little else. I know what a sucky town is and Redmond is a great place to live.
    I'll have to check out the Pig and Pound; the Yelp review makes it sounds awesome. I'll try the Scotch Egg please! Whenever I'm in Redmond I stop at Thai-O, which I think has the best "homestyle" Thai food in the area. Smith Rock state park is nearer there too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Spot on assessment. P & P is the heat. Ate there again this weekend. Plus I thnk Redmond schools can stand up to Bends any day. My kids graduated or will graduate from Redmond high and..I sort of work for a school in the Bend-LaPine district. Not much difference. I too would rather live in Bend just for the Mt. and the trails. Saves time and gas. But in no way does Redmond suck. And fwiw Thai Thai in Bend is probably the best Thai place in the area. Spent a lot of time in Thailand. Sawadi Kop!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast