mtbr member

Moving to portland area

I am moving to the portland area in about a month from los angeles. Im wondering how good the riding is in the area and oregon in general? I know there is a ton of riding in the state but just want some info on the whole scene I guess. I could gues you could say is Im an "all mountain" rider and the more technical the better. Are there any good clubs? Any good shop recomendations?...basically anything I should know about being an avid rider in the state?

Singletrack Addict
    Uh, yeah, there's lots of amazing riding that will probably blow your preconceived notions out of the water. But then winter happens.

Right now and for another month or two, the riding in Oregon is as good as it gets anywhere. Period. The caveat is that you cannot get hung up on "Portland." I like that you are inquiring about the state in general and since you are coming from the large state of California, I assume you are not afraid to get in the car and drive for a couple hours or more. From Portland you can access some world class stuff within an hour and a half, but there really isn't anything of consequence much closer and once the rain and snow hits it's slim pickens.

Clubs, shops? There are some great bike shops all over town. Personally I frequent River City, but Fat Tire Farm has a decidedly more mountain bike bent. As for clubs, join and get involved with Northwest Trail Alliance, there is a lot of traction recently with some advocacy to free up much needed singletrack access that is right here in the city. The Disciples of Dirt out of Eugene are an active and fun bunch in the southern Willamette area and host some great events (put Barbie Camp on your calendar for the weekend of Oct. 24-25) and the Central Oregon Trail Alliance out of Bend does a lot of trail work and is a great resource for riding in that area.

Cyclocross is huge and the Portland bike culture can be over the top.

Chris King is here and the number of boutique frame and bike manufactureres is growing
    all the time.

[rQUOTE=darkslide18]I am moving to the portland area in about a month from los angeles. Im wondering how good the riding is in the area and oregon in general? I know there is a ton of riding in the state but just want some info on the whole scene I guess. I could gues you could say is Im an "all mountain" rider and the more technical the better. Are there any good clubs? Any good shop recomendations?...basically anything I should know about being an avid rider in the state?[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Thanx for the info....I was living in northern utah prior to my short stay in california visiting the family after my divorce so I know all about how crappy winter can be for riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Heads up, when people talk about the winter here they mean rain. It rarely rains hard but rains a lot. There are very few days in the Willamette valley that you couldn't ride a bike if you don't mind getting wet or muddddy, finding trails open in the winter can be harder but there are some.
    NW MTB Addict

mtbr member
    Thanx for the heads up. I assume people mean rain. I have extended family in Washington and I know about the climate up there. So besides ridng how is it to live in the portland area? How is the nightlife? Being newly single Im looking to get out more.

Metalheadbikerider

Night life

Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18
    Thanx for the heads up. I assume people mean rain. I have extended family in Washington and I know about the climate up there. So besides ridng how is it to live in the portland area? How is the nightlife? Being newly single Im looking to get out more.
    Portland is a lot of fun. Amazing music scene. Great brewpubs, brew theaters, and of course all types of bars/restaurants/coffee shops. There is always many things to choose from. Couple of local rags that will help get you acclimated:
    www.wweek.com
    www.portlandmercury.com

Here is the link for our local advocacy/rider group-only $25 to join for a year:
    http://nw-trail.org/

Cheers!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    Uh, yeah, there's lots of amazing riding that will probably blow your preconceived notions out of the water. But then winter happens.

Right now and for another month or two, the riding in Oregon is as good as it gets anywhere. Period. The caveat is that you cannot get hung up on "Portland." I like that you are inquiring about the state in general and since you are coming from the large state of California, I assume you are not afraid to get in the car and drive for a couple hours or more. From Portland you can access some world class stuff within an hour and a half, but there really isn't anything of consequence much closer and once the rain and snow hits it's slim pickens.

Clubs, shops? There are some great bike shops all over town. Personally I frequent River City, but Fat Tire Farm has a decidedly more mountain bike bent. As for clubs, join and get involved with Northwest Trail Alliance, there is a lot of traction recently with some advocacy to free up much needed singletrack access that is right here in the city. The Disciples of Dirt out of Eugene are an active and fun bunch in the southern Willamette area and host some great events (put Barbie Camp on your calendar for the weekend of Oct. 24-25) and the Central Oregon Trail Alliance out of Bend does a lot of trail work and is a great resource for riding in that area.

Cyclocross is huge and the Portland bike culture can be over the top.

Chris King is here and the number of boutique frame and bike manufactureres is growing
    all the time.

[rQUOTE=darkslide18]I am moving to the portland area in about a month from los angeles. Im wondering how good the riding is in the area and oregon in general? I know there is a ton of riding in the state but just want some info on the whole scene I guess. I could gues you could say is Im an "all mountain" rider and the more technical the better. Are there any good clubs? Any good shop recomendations?...basically anything I should know about being an avid rider in the state?
    [/QUOTE]
    Hey Snake,
    How old are you anyway? To the OP: River City Bikes SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!
    NO SHIRT
    NO SHOES
    NO DICE

Formerly of Kent
    Until the snow falls in earnest, you're within an hour and a half to three hours of some of the best riding in the country, on incredibly diverse terrain. Rain forests to high desert within a couple of hours drive.

Mt. Hood National Forest/Hood River, Coastal Range, Bend, and further away Ashland and Oakridge...

Singletrack Addict
    Plenty old.
    Last edited by Snake Muesl; 09-16-2009 at 11:37 PM.

Singletrack Addict
    Hey Snake,
    How old are you anyway? To the OP: River City Bikes SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!
    Well, I've been around a bit. Care to elaborate on those exclamation marks?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmm

I am moving to the portland area in about a month from los angeles. Im wondering how good the riding is in the area and oregon in general? I know there is a ton of riding in the state but just want some info on the whole scene I guess. I could gues you could say is Im an "all mountain" rider and the more technical the better. Are there any good clubs? Any good shop recomendations?...basically anything I should know about being an avid rider in the state?
    Lots of parts of Oregon are awesome but PDX is a stress factory in my book--unless you like city life. PDX is a very pretty town and the bike culture is fun. The riding is good but have to be ready to drive. The best local riding is Scappoose and it is a bit of a drive. I can't tell you much about the single life but there appears to be a ton of hippie chicks.

Jaybo

Metalheadbikerider

Nah

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Lots of parts of Oregon are awesome but PDX is a stress factory in my book--unless you like city life. PDX is a very pretty town and the bike culture is fun. The riding is good but have to be ready to drive. The best local riding is Scappoose and it is a bit of a drive. I can't tell you much about the single life but there appears to be a ton of hippie chicks.

Jaybo
    The hippie chicks moved....now the women are mainly hipster-biker-chicks or metalheads. Neither of which is a bad thing IMO.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    riding is horrible here. you should stay in California. Oregon is for natives.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Funny thought...I was in high school when Fast Times At Ridgemont High was released.I've been around too.I will stick up for River City because they actually stock merchandise.They will also service what they sell;suspension,etc.River City supports local racing as well.I must reiterate the simple fact that you do not have to "special order" a bottom bracket.Customer service is a different story.Back to the "fun" part...viewing Fast Times in the theatre was a treat! Phoebe Cates and Mr. Hand must be seen on the big screen for "full" impact and enjoyment.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    A couple years ago the Laurelhurst played Fast Times. THAT was a BLAST! I was in middle school when that come out so I had never seen it on the big screen with good sound. Watching it with a few friends and a few beers like that was the best.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1
    Funny thought...I was in high school when Fast Times At Ridgemont High was released.I've been around too.I will stick up for River City because they actually stock merchandise.They will also service what they sell;suspension,etc.River City supports local racing as well.I must reiterate the simple fact that you do not have to "special order" a bottom bracket.Customer service is a different story.Back to the "fun" part...viewing Fast Times in the theatre was a treat! Phoebe Cates and Mr. Hand must be seen on the big screen for "full" impact and enjoyment.
    Ouch! I had been out of school for 5 years when that came out.

IMHO the best LBS is the one in your own home. Buy parts at Universal, do the work yourself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxrcr222
    riding is horrible here. you should stay in California. Oregon is for natives.
    I was waiting for a native to chime in and tell me not to move. I know about the hatred for Californians. Dont worry though I plan on coming there and assimilating as best I can. California does suck. Why do you think Im leavin

Obviously Single

No worries, mate

I was waiting for a native to chime in and tell me not to move. I know about the hatred for Californians. Dont worry though I plan on coming there and assimilating as best I can. California does suck. Why do you think Im leavin
    It's mostly ex-Cali-fornicators that want to close the door after they move in. You'll fit right in.

[Okay, I've got the flame-resistant keyboard ready for responses. ]
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Great thread, good information. We've been looking at our next destination and have been considering the PNW. While I enjoy what big cities have to offer, the wife likes more of a suburban life. As the old saying goes... happy wife, happy life. We're going to try to schedule a visit over the winter to see what all the doom & gloom is all about. Currently the wife is interested in the Eugene area... Cottage Grove to be exact. Anyone have any opinions on CG? Wife is a nurse, I'm back in school for a mid life career change, going for my RN so work will not be a problem for either of us. We have a young daughter, so schools are important. We currently live in a little town in TX, we'd like a little more, but not Atlanta or DC.... to those that respond "don't move to OR" or "it's for locals only" ... think of it this way. I'm a resident of planet earth, lived on two continents so far... just looking for the right spot... maybe OR will be our forever home

meatier showers
    Yo Bob, CG rocks. Personally I just moved back to Eugene after living in Creswell for 5 years... Creswell is only about 4 miles north of CG. If you land in CG, you'll be about 20 minutes away from Brice Creek & Crawfish trails in the historic Bohemia mining district -- very rugged and scenic forested country. Think Deliverance. And about 45 minutes away from Oakridge -- about the same distance as Eugene. I said it rocks, but the truth is CG is quaint.

You'll also be ~25 minutes away from Whypass, the ~20 mile network of the Disciples of Dirt's stash trails. Good stuff. We ride there every Wednesday night and many weekend days.

The western Oregon rain isn't so bad. Winters are mild, we can ride year 'round. It's the long stretchs of gray when we don't see the sun for a couple weeks at a time that gets to the folks it gets to.

I've lived here since '60... never found a reason to want to move away.

Look us up when you make your test visit. Hey, if you time it around April 2-4, you could attend Spring Barbie Camp. On the other hand, if you come in January, you might make the All Comer's Meat at Whypass (regional group ride that usually attracts ~75 riders). Haven't established which weekend ACM will be held on yet. Meanwhile we're building new singletrack in anticipation...

Hope to see you soon.

--Sparty

P.S. Sorry about the sig... I was only quoting someone else... just sayin'...
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Yo Bob, CG rocks. Personally I just moved back to Eugene after living in Creswell for 5 years... Creswell is only about 4 miles north of CG. If you land in CG, you'll be about 20 minutes away from Brice Creek & Crawfish trails in the historic Bohemia mining district -- very rugged and scenic forested country. Think Deliverance. And about 45 minutes away from Oakridge -- about the same distance as Eugene. I said it rocks, but the truth is CG is quaint.

You'll also be ~25 minutes away from Whypass, the ~20 mile network of the Disciples of Dirt's stash trails. Good stuff. We ride there every Wednesday night and many weekend days.

The western Oregon rain isn't so bad. Winters are mild, we can ride year 'round. It's the long stretchs of gray when we don't see the sun for a couple weeks at a time that gets to the folks it gets to.

I've lived here since '60... never found a reason to want to move away.

Look us up when you make your test visit. Hey, if you time it around April 2-4, you could attend Spring Barbie Camp. On the other hand, if you come in January, you might make the All Comer's Meat at Whypass (regional group ride that usually attracts ~75 riders). Haven't established which weekend ACM will be held on yet. Meanwhile we're building new singletrack in anticipation...

Hope to see you soon.

--Sparty

P.S. Sorry about the sig... I was only quoting someone else... just sayin'...

Sparty,

Thanks for the local knowledge, I'll have to jump back into the DOD site as our trip becomes more of a reality and I begin the itinerary. While I'd love to attend BC or ACM, the purpose of the trip would be more family based... perhaps a wednesday nighter would be just right though. Thanks also for building new trail for my visit... you Oregon folks sure are hospitable!

No problem, on the sig (jaybo's rep is well known)... I'm not from TX. If I gave you the run down on all the places I've lived you'd think I was a gypsie

NY, NJ, Bueno Aires, Uruguay, DC, FL, VA, MD, GA, TX, TBD.....

banned
    River City=really really really bad customer service roadie heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelovesDirt
    River City=really really really bad customer service roadie heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    + 1
    NO SHIRT
    NO SHOES
    NO DICE