Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Moving To Portland

Hi all. I recently accepted a job for which I get to relocate to Portland. I am from northern NJ so this will be a pretty big change up and I can't wait. Unfortunately I woln't be moving till January so i will have to wait until everything thaws to ride. Please use this post to give me any tips of any sort as well as good locations to ride in the area. Also, If you have good pics this would be a great time to show off what your riding in the area to help get me pumped for the move.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Here's a few pics... Most are from the Mount Hood and Gifford Pinchot national forests (GPNF is SW washington... st. Helens area), some are from the willamette NF (Oakridge, Waldo lake)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving To Portland-269421_2301088846630_1231445636_2891070_1910691_n.jpg  

Moving To Portland-293690_2533477096191_1231445636_3192120_1842083685_n.jpg  

Moving To Portland-319963_2533467335947_1231445636_3192075_981306566_n.jpg  

Moving To Portland-3770252899_d8c4f57da4_z.jpg  

Moving To Portland-4671186126_b17f456edc_z.jpg  

Moving To Portland-4671186912_1e9d812dc9_z.jpg  

Moving To Portland-4811901107_e1db9832b2_z.jpg  

Moving To Portland-6048023907_d80f4537a4_z.jpg  

Moving To Portland-6291885893_956b1e0ca5_z.jpg  

Moving To Portland-6292408016_62401a81cc_z.jpg  

Think I can make that?
    Oct 2005
    Hey welcome to Portland then... I recently spent 2 years in Westchester NY. Spent a lot of time riding Sprain parkway, Blue Mt and Diablo. Let me tell you, what's out west crushes those places. Only problem is when i lived out there - sprain and blue were less than a 20 minute drive, Here you have to drive a bit, but its worth it. Hit me up with a PM if you want some info regarding anything about this area. Oh and another thing, the beer here is so much better too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Welcome to the NW. VA transploant here. It stays pretty much thawed in the Valley all winter and there is some riding to be had during the rainy season. The only request that I have is you don't bring Snooki with you:-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hhahaha fortunately for you I rarely visit the jersey shore... my fist pump isn't quite up to par. Up until this point I have been riding hardtails on xc-am terrain. It looks like santa might have to bring a long travel full suspension rig for christmas.

Think I can make that?
    Oct 2005
    Bike for xmas - Oh boy, this thread may now digress to what's the best bike for our area...

All i'm going to say is I like to have 2 bikes here, one burly 6 inch trail bike (30ish pounds and pedalable) and one DH (whatever dh you like).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by awh311 View Post
    Hhahaha fortunately for you I rarely visit the jersey shore... my fist pump isn't quite up to par. Up until this point I have been riding hardtails on xc-am terrain. It looks like santa might have to bring a long travel full suspension rig for christmas.
    I like a rigid/hardtail bike and a 4-5" travel bike for the PNW.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I must know, where is this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    That's Boulder Lakes trail, on the descent a little before you get to boulder lake.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Congrats on the relocation. At a minimum, you'll at least love the riding!

Known Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by sgf2 View Post
    Bike for xmas - Oh boy, this thread may now digress to what's the best bike for our area...
    ...followed by favorite beer.

Caz

mtbr member
    Lewis River Trail, the waterfall pic. A wonderful ride, worth the drive from Ptown. Make sure you have a nice camera once you arrive. And gear for inclement weather.

Think I can make that?
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco View Post
    ...followed by favorite beer.

Caz
    Oh yea - Right now its the Double Mountain IRA (whis is always best to have from the brewery after a hood river ride), Laurelwood's Workhorse IPA not too far behind...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Second the Double Mountain IRA... I just had an epic Boulder/Gunsight/Gumjuwac ride last thursday, followed by a stop off for some at the brewpub. Then a nice sunny cruise through the skatepark before heading home to PDX.

I could do that every day of my life.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I just dropped off a keg at Double Mountain to get filled with IRA. My current keg is getting low, and while I don't need much in life, but I do need IRA on tap in the garage. Gonna try the new stout when I pick my keg up after work tomorrow.

BTW, I hope, perhaps unrealistically, that the beautiful weather holds until Saturday. I only had an hour free today so I ran the trails at Post instead of riding. Kinda hurt every time a bike passed me.

mtbr member
    Welcome to PDX! This is my first post on here and I felt this was a good place to do it. I'm from NJ too! Camden, represent. I've been here for 4 years now, and I can't imagine being anywhere else. Maybe Alaska or Norway. You will not be disappointed moving here; it is so beautiful and there is so much to do.

Not only are there local breweries, but every other region knows this is beertown, so you can find pretty much every beer in the world here. I'm an IPA guy so some of the more recent favorites I have found are Maui's Flyin' Hi.P.A, Russian River's Pliny the Elder, and Hop Valley's Alpha Centauri.

I wish I could give you some advice on where to go, but I have only ridden the streets here so far. Soon I will be making a commute from St. Johns to PCC Rock Creek, via the St. John's bridge and whatever trails I find through Forest Park that end up on Skyline.

Best of luck with everything!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I am thinking of moving up to PDX from San Jose CA. I wanted to know how much riding can you do in Forrest Park? My wife and I hiked through there last summer but it did not seem open to bikes.

mtbr member
    The options are limited. I used to ride there from the Gabriel Park area of SW Ptown pretty regularly. Basically a cement/fire road ride, with some limited single track if you do not poach. If you ride hard it isn't that bad, a good workout with lots of road noise from the hwy at the bottom of the hill. Some decent views of Rainier, Adams, Hood. A few dogs here and there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanspaulding View Post
    I am thinking of moving up to PDX from San Jose CA. I wanted to know how much riding can you do in Forrest Park? My wife and I hiked through there last summer but it did not seem open to bikes.
    Not single trail to ride in forest park...legally. Just buy a really nice light and ride the hiking trails at night. Otherwise, your going to be riding on gravel roads. Aka "city of Portland bike trails"

I don't ride xc anymore but there are some absolutely fantastic trails that will blow your mind.. And legs. Sioxon creek to Huffman peak is the greatest trail I have ever ridden..and I've ridden allot of them
    Cleverly disguised as an adult

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thank you for the info. So how far out is Sioxon creek to Huffman peak or are these part of Forrest Park? I only want to ride legal trials. Can I ride there or will I have to drive to get there?

Singletrack Addict
    Thank you for the info. So how far out is Sioxon creek to Huffman peak or are these part of Forrest Park? I only want to ride legal trials. Can I ride there or will I have to drive to get there?
    Depending on what part of town, Siouxon is a 90 minute drive.

There is no real MTB-worthy singletrack within an easy ride of Portland. Portland is only bike-friendly to a narrow definition of "bike". Yes, I get the irony that we have one of the largest urban parks in the country and that it is called "Forest Park".

On the other hand, some of the trails within an hour or more drive are pretty amazing.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thank you for being honest. It sounds like the riding that is a hour away is pretty nice. Do the trails get closed a lot due to all the rain? In San Jose the tails close pretty quickly if there is a few days or rain.

Singletrack Addict
    Thank you for being honest. It sounds like the riding that is a hour away is pretty nice. Do the trails get closed a lot due to all the rain? In San Jose the tails close pretty quickly if there is a few days or rain.
    All the really good stuff is about to be buried under snow for the next 6-9 months. There will still be some lower elevation trails that will remain ridable. Trails don't close per se, but some are better than others when it comes to how well they handle water. Three Corner Rock and Wilson River Trail are two that come to mind, Gorge Tr 400 is another and Sandy Ridge is being built as a user specific trail designed to be sustainable year round. And it's a fun as hell flow trail.

You might also think about taking up a winter sport

mtbr member
    May 2007
    hmm I might take up a winter sport. I do run year round, do any of the Forrest Park trails close due to weather ? Sounds like you can ride year round but you have to be willing to drive and deal with wet trails. Thank you for all the info, so far this is the biggest drawback for moving to PDX but I can adapt

mtbr member

Only been here a few months myself, but yeah Portland is pretty much a black hole for mtb. But ~1 hr to the N,E,S, or W will get you into pretty good riding. I've heard there are some really amazing trails to be ride, but haven't found a whole lot of them yet. I find the general style of riding here to favor DH/AM/FR a little more than XC.

I only know of 1 trail that is closed in wet conditions, but I think that's more of a test/research issue, and those trails aren't so great anyway. However, many of the trails towards Mt. Hood are closed for 7 months of the year due to snow and blow down.

There is good news- things are improving. The issue of a lack of mtb within city limits has been recognized by the city officials, and solutions are being addressed, albeit very slowly. Forest Park continues to disappoint, they claim its for ecological and sustainability reasons, but despite that a slight bit of headway is being made. New trails are popping up closer and closer to the city each year. Other good things about Portland- there is some great road riding within the city, and you can easily commute by bike to pretty much anywhere (between that a public transit its not uncommon to live without a vehicle).

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast