mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Moving to Oregon

Afternoon folks. I'm planning on making a change in my life and moving to Oregon. I'm a pretty avid mtn biker out east as well as rock climbing/hiking/skiing, and generally anything to do with being outside. I don't know a terrible amount about the state other than a few years ago I thoroughly enjoyed (and over indulged) in the Portland beer fest. I'd like to live somewhere near a city so I could find work in my career (ff/emt) yet be close enough to the outdoors so that I could escape fairly quickly. Any suggestions would be great, and I apologize if this post was placed in the wrong spot.

mtbr member
    It's going to be easiest to find a FF job in the Portland area. My department (TVFR) and Portland are generally hiring yearly. Vancouver and Clackamas are good departments also. I would work in Springfield/Eugene (I grew up in Springfield) but they generally hire paramedic only.

There's good mountain biking all the way up the cascades really, but from Eugene up to the Gorge there's quite a bit of MTB specific trails just because of the population density. I really don't like the crammed city but I love my department. Anywhere in Portland/Westside you are about 30-40 minutes from good riding. Takes a little it to get out into the woods.

Hit me up if you want to talk about fire departments, or riding.

Paul

mtbr member
    r u a medic?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am a medic in Mass, and am working on reciprocity/ national reg. Hoban I appreciate the help, I'll try and pm you today or tomorrow if I can figure it out.

mtbr member
    youll love Oregon , it takes some getting used tot he rain , but the summers are awesome
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I was born and raised in Mass. A little Oregon rain is nothing compared to the cold winters and hot, humid, mosquito summers you've been enduring!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The mosquitos definitely suck, and I could do without the humidity for sure.

mtbr member
    It doesn't even rain much here. Just sort of drizzles off and on for a couple months. Probably worse actually...

B42
    mtbr member

Moving to Oregon

If you want to get out of town every weekend, pick the side of town you want to go to the most to live on. If you want to ride mtb in hood river/sandy/Dallas, then live in Gresham and you will be an hour closer. If you want to ride in the coast range and go to the beach, you will want to look at hillsborough. Both are an hour from their respective sides, but almost 2 hours from the other.

Have riding clothes that don't stain from mud, get seat covers, and plan to change clothes before getting in the car to come home. Sorry, it's still spring rules for me. It will get better in a few months.

Welcome to the NW!
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Personally I'd choose living on the east side. The riding is a lot better and you can almost always go ride out in hood river and escape the rain or have less rainy days at least. East portland is really growing with new restaurants and things to do and traffic on the west side blows major. I always dread going to the western end of the metro area.