mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm Moving to Eugene

I just took a new job and I am going to relocate to Eugene. I currently live in Boise and love the easy access to trails in the foothills.

Are there any good trails in Eugene proper? If so, which part of town should I look for a house in? My goal would be to live, where I can ride to a trail in the evening.

I know there are some amazing trails outside Eugene for the weekends (can't wait!), however due to work and family I really want to live close to some simple yet fun single track.

Thanks in advance!

Tree Hugger
    There is only a small section of trails open to bikes in town. There are approx 3 miles of "trail" in town, but it is 3ft wide packed gravel surface. There is talk of more trails in the future, but don't hold your breath. If you like road riding, there are alot of great country roads you can ride from town, rolling hills in South Eugene, and flat roads in North Eugene.

The in town trails are located in Southeast Eugene. There are mtb trailheads at the south end of Spring Blvd, on Dillard Rd, and Fox Hollow Rd, and at the end of E. Amazon. There are other nice hiking trails accessible from various spots in South Eugene but most are closed to bikes.

If you live in SE Eugene, you will be closest to I-5 southbound and Hwy 58 to access many trails in the Willamette National Forest and Umpqua NF within 30-60 minutes.

If you live in SW Eugene, you will have quick access out of town to the town of Lorane where there is a 15 mile trail network called Carpenter Bypass (locals call it Whypass) on BLM land.

If you live North of the river, you will be another 10-15 minutes from all the good trails. There aren't any hills and not much open space in North Eugene except along the Willamette River where there are some great paved bike paths and bits of illegal singletrack through homeless camps.

I would recommend SE Eugene, it has the best schools,the most parks and the least amount of crime. SW Eugene is not bad, but more conservative and it is further from good food and shopping unless you like Walmart and Target. NW Eugene is mostly sketchy neighborhoods with bad schools and no trails nearby. River Rd has some nicer pockets, especially near the Willamette River, but is very hit or miss. The Coburg Rd neighborhoods are nice and near alot of restaurants and shopping, but traffic can be pretty bad and there aren't many parks, none with trails.

Check out the Disciples of Dirt, the local IMBA chapter in Eugene for more info about the area as well as people to ride with when you get here.

Feel free to PM me if you want advice about a specific street or neighborhood. I know that finding the right spot makes moving to a new town alot easier.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Making fat cool since '71
    I really want to debate this, but...the short, hairy, angry man nailed it. What Sasquatch said: accurate.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks Sasquatch! That's the info I was looking for! Even with no trails at my door step, Eugene sounds like it has access to some amazing trails!

ImaKlyde - Looks like I will be looking up the Disciples of Dirt once I move......