Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    32

    Moving to Corvallis for school from east coast

    Hey. I will most likely be moving out to Corvallis for Grad school later this summer from Connecticut. Although we do not have any "mountains" out east, we do have a lot of progressive ski areas that allow lift accessed riding...diablo freeride park in jersey is sick!

    Anyways, I just wanted to get a sense of the riding scene in Corvallis. Honestly, being from such a small state, I have no real perspective on traveing far to go hit trails. I will say the fluidride cup looks really fun and laid back.

    Is there any pump track/dirt jump areas near Corvallis? If not, how receptive would the city be to putting one in? Oregon seems like an amazing state, I will be visiting in a couple of weeks, but just wanted to get a sense of riding out there. Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Think I can make that?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    98
    Jcuzz... Welcome to the west coast. The riding is amazing around here.

    I lived in NY from 2007-09 and rode Blue Mt, Sprain and Diablo as much as possible. Those were some good trails for being so close to where I lived (Tarrytown).

    Corvallis doesn't have anything like Diablo. But, Blackrock in Dallas OR does, and its only about 30 miles away. Which is much less time than it took for you to go to Diablo from CT. Also check out trails in MacDonald Forest (this is in corvallis) and good for after work spins.

    Other notables close by that are legit day trips (2 to 3 hours away) The famous Mackenzie River Trail, Mary's Peak, Hood River for killer xc or big hit's in Post Canyon, Oakridge and Bend.

    And my personal favorite - Weekend trips to the North Shore BC and Whistler )


    Man, its good out here.

  3. #3
    AKA Frank N. Bike!!
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,772
    Lebanon has some BMX style jumps. Pretty big jumps and plenty of them.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,154
    There's a dirt-jump loop in Albany at the back of Bryant park. It's built for bmx bikes, not for big bikes. Most of the riding is XC, the nearest lift-assisted riding is at Willamette Pass (~3 hours away). There's also very few pure DH rides around, you generally have to earn it even if you skip the gravel road climb with a shuttle.

  5. #5
    more love, less attitude
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    74
    Corvallis has a small bmx track off of SE Chapman Place, just south of downtown (see 44.555N, 123.2632W). It is a city park built during the bmx-racing heyday, but I rarely see anyone riding there anymore.

  6. #6
    ride the moment
    Reputation: Dogbrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    809
    I have no idea about the DJ scene other than the little track Rusty mentioned. However, between Mary's Peak and the McDonald-Dunn forest there's plenty of close riding, and within a 1-2 hour drive there's more than you will be able to get to while in grad school. What department? I'm in Chemical Engineering.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

  7. #7
    Www.rvmba.org
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    322
    Man. We are spoiled in S. Oregon. I can drive 15 min from Medford and rip sweet DH or XC. We have a lot of sweet trail within 15 to 45 min of Medford. Mount Shasta 16 mile mega DH is an hour away, Willy P 1.5 hrs ...... Mt. Ashland ....... I could go on and on. And there is more to come ! Thats why I love it here.

  8. #8
    ride the moment
    Reputation: Dogbrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by sofarider1
    Man. We are spoiled in S. Oregon. I can drive 15 min from Medford and rip sweet DH or XC. We have a lot of sweet trail within 15 to 45 min of Medford. Mount Shasta 16 mile mega DH is an hour away, Willy P 1.5 hrs ...... Mt. Ashland ....... I could go on and on. And there is more to come ! Thats why I love it here.
    First off, the OP specifically asked about the DJ/pump track scene which you did not address. Second, as the OP is obviously already accepted to the Graduate School in Corvallis and will not be moving to Medford, your post served no purpose but to rain on his "I'm moving to Oregon!" parade. He'll get rained on soon enough. Shame on you. Third, I guess I should have defined "close riding."

    The McDonald-Dunn forest can be entered from multiple locations in or near town, so you can easily ride to the trails. If you want to drive (dog, singlespeed, whatever) it takes under 10 minutes, unless you want to drive around the the "back side" of the forest and ride where you most likely won't see a single person it takes about 20 minutes on back roads. You could easily ride 50-75 miles without hitting the same trail twice, although you would double up on a couple fire road climbs.

    Mary's peak is a few miles out Hwy 20 towards the coast. You pass Philomath and then drive up woods creek rd. People certainly ride out there, but most of us drive. It's a 13 mile loop with a grueling climb and a sticky sweet technical descent. Fun for the whole family. Multiple laps encouraged. Fortunately it is very inconvenient to shuttle.

    For DH/FR there is Black Rock about 45 minutes from town. The Dallas XC trails near there are also very sweet. Mt. Hood, Post Canyon, etc. are 1.5-2 hours away.

    Oakridge is 85 miles south east in the cascades. I've heard numbers between 300 and 500 miles of singletrack. I don't know, but I know I haven't even begun to ride all of it.

    I could go on and on... that's why I love it here

    Hit me up when you get here and I'll show you some trails.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

  9. #9
    Www.rvmba.org
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    322
    Shame on me ? What are you getting so upset about. The discussion included how long it takes for some of you to drive to trails just made me appreciate how lucky I am not to have to drive so far. Thats all. Im not bagging on your trails. I wasnt trying to rain on anybodies parade. Now he knows there is a ton of stuff to ride down south as well. Lighten up.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: henryl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbrain
    You could easily ride 50-75 miles without hitting the same trail twice, although you would double up on a couple fire road climbs.
    Just to clarify - the 50-75 miles is 90-95% logging road. The singletrack is rapidly being destroyed by logging; in fact much faster than it reappears.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    26
    Just to clarify - the 50-75 miles is 90-95% logging road. The singletrack is rapidly being destroyed by logging; in fact much faster than it reappears.

    Um Henryl I don't know what your riding, but a friend and myself just did a sweet 50 mile loop out in the Mac forest and every descent and a couple climbs were all different single track. We started up and over Mcullah over to Forest Peak then hit some trails off Tampico rd and finally up and over dimple hill.

    As far as I know the only sweet trail that has been destroyed due to logging in the past 3-4 years is chute me / groove tube maybe Alien but that was double track to begin with. Most of the sick single track is well hidden. I recommend going out with a local that can show you some loops.

    O.P. Enjoy all of the riding out here...It is amazing!!

  12. #12
    ride the moment
    Reputation: Dogbrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by sofarider1
    Shame on me ? What are you getting so upset about. The discussion included how long it takes for some of you to drive to trails just made me appreciate how lucky I am not to have to drive so far. Thats all. Im not bagging on your trails. I wasnt trying to rain on anybodies parade. Now he knows there is a ton of stuff to ride down south as well. Lighten up.
    Sorry bro that was supposed to have a joking tone. I should have used more smilies. I just found it amusing that you showed up in a thread where someone was asking about his future local trails only to tell him that there were better trails somewhere else... where he would not be living. Then I went on to elaborate on the fact that our trial access is virtually identical.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: henryl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by aarongoodwin
    Um Henryl I don't know what your riding, but a friend and myself just did a sweet 50 mile loop out in the Mac forest and every descent and a couple climbs were all different single track. We started up and over Mcullah over to Forest Peak then hit some trails off Tampico rd and finally up and over dimple hill.

    As far as I know the only sweet trail that has been destroyed due to logging in the past 3-4 years is chute me / groove tube maybe Alien but that was double track to begin with. Most of the sick single track is well hidden. I recommend going out with a local that can show you some loops.

    O.P. Enjoy all of the riding out here...It is amazing!!
    I'm a local that that has explored nearly every sq foot of Mac by bike and foot so I know where the trails are. My attempts at finding decent stuff on the Dunn side have not been very successful though. I can think of a half dozen trails that have been axed by logging in the last couple years and several more that have been shortened or compromised.

    I guess I was being pessimistic about the amount of road to trails. Maybe it is more like 75% road. In any case, it's not like Bend area trails where you can do 50miles of pretty much continuous singletrack. Mac forest riding is more like ride 2-3 miles of logging road, hit a 0.25-1 mile trail and then repeat.

  14. #14
    AKA Frank N. Bike!!
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,772
    Mac forest riding is more like ride 2-3 miles of logging road, hit a 0.25-1 mile trail and then repeat.
    Not really. I ride the Calloway Creek trail and it's mostly singletrack. It crosses a fire road once or twice. I enjoy riding there.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  15. #15
    friend of preston
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    219

    boo hoo

    Quote Originally Posted by henryl
    Just to clarify - the 50-75 miles is 90-95% logging road. The singletrack is rapidly being destroyed by logging; in fact much faster than it reappears.
    go go out and fix it henryl...if that is your real name
    He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.- Dr. Samuel Johnson

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    824
    to the OP: riding around Corvallis (Mac Forest) is great. As was said earlier, you've got to earn the downhill fun out here with some climbing though. Very friendly to year round riding with so many fire roads, and a lot of singletrack in the summer that will take a long time to fully discover. If you enjoy a little pain, you'll enjoy the riding out here.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    32
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I am definately looking forward to heading out there and riding the trails. From what I see in pictures you couldn't ask for better scenery.

  18. #18
    MattSavage
    Reputation: mattsavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,431
    I know of a secret trail that is being built as we speak... I can't mention its location though, the builder will freak and doesn't want anyone on it until its done. Guaranteed to be epic and fully sanctioned and approved by the land managers...! Just thought I'd dangle that over your Cowvalley heads.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

    Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    824
    I'm hoping since you're posting in a thread about trails in Corvallis, you wouldn't have the audacity to say such a thing unless that trail were being built in say...Mac Forest?

  20. #20
    MattSavage
    Reputation: mattsavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,431
    Can't say... but the trail will reveal itself when it's ready.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

    Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    824
    that's silly, but if that's what you want

  22. #22
    MattSavage
    Reputation: mattsavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,431
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse
    that's silly, but if that's what you want
    Not really, but that's how the builder wants it... I'd rather see 10 guys out there digging and cutting. the builder's gone to great lengths with the land manager to be able to build on this land, he doesn't seem to want any outside influence changing the vision of his trail. If I lived closer to corvallis, we'd be close to done by now. Maybe by next summer it'll be done and fully rideable.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

    Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

  23. #23
    AKA Frank N. Bike!!
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,772
    Funny. OSU hasn't built new trails up there in years.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  24. #24
    ride the moment
    Reputation: Dogbrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    Funny. OSU hasn't built new trails up there in years.
    My suspicion is that it's on starker land.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

  25. #25
    MattSavage
    Reputation: mattsavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,431
    Quote Originally Posted by jcuzz
    Hey. I will most likely be moving out to Corvallis for Grad school later this summer from Connecticut. Although we do not have any "mountains" out east, we do have a lot of progressive ski areas that allow lift accessed riding...diablo freeride park in jersey is sick!

    Anyways, I just wanted to get a sense of the riding scene in Corvallis. Honestly, being from such a small state, I have no real perspective on traveing far to go hit trails. I will say the fluidride cup looks really fun and laid back.

    Is there any pump track/dirt jump areas near Corvallis? If not, how receptive would the city be to putting one in? Oregon seems like an amazing state, I will be visiting in a couple of weeks, but just wanted to get a sense of riding out there. Thanks for any help.
    Salem isn't too far away either and the BRMBA guys built up an indoor DJ line and pump track. not sure what the status of it is immediately...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

    Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •