mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Moving to Ashland Oregon AND buying a new bike

Hey everyone,

Moving to Ashland later this year or early next. Also in the market for a new ride. What would you guys recommend as the best do it all bike for Ashland trails? I love riding Tahoe/Sierra and tech trails, and currently have a 160mm 26" mojo hd. I also do 6-8 enduro races a year, including Ashland. I love climbing. My concern is I don't want to overbike myself for Ashland's trail system, but at the same time I want something capable enough to take to rougher terrain.

My mojo hd is great, but suffers on accelerating out of corners and keeping momentum in races. I'm also ready to join the world of bigger tires, not sure on 29 v 27.5 yet though.

What are (the fast) people riding up there? What's a decent enduro race bike that I can peddle? I have no interest in shuttles and climbing is key for whatever i end up on.

I have my eye on :

Yeti SB6
    Yeti SB 5.5
    Ibis HD3
    Ibis Ripley LS
    YT Jeffsy
    YT Capra
    Pivot Mach 6

Any advice?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I suggest grabbing a bottle of tequila, drink enough of the contents of the bottle to get on the downwind side of the fourth sheet, pin all of those bikes on a dart board and have a chuck. Or you could just pick the bright green one and get on with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    yeeeeewwwww!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Such good bikes on that list, my man.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yeah about to step up my game and use some of my bay area real estate cash out $ to buy way more bike than im capable of riding. Should work out just fine

mtbr member
    Contact John @ Rock Creek bikes in Ashland. He will have local knowledge of what works best.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    ^^ It's Bear Creek Bicycle and John is a helluva rider and great guy. That said I would get a Canfield Riot for what you describe - no question! Most aggressive 29'r available and steep STA for climbing. I've got the bigger brother - Balance and it's like a DH bike with trail manners. Amazing suspension design! I think John sells Devinci and the new Django looks sick too; a lil' short on travel but would be a blast on Ashland's trails.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Ashland is my dream city but we can't afford it right now, fiancee's grad school loans and general lack of housing inventory + lack of high paying jobs there ...

But anyways your bike list is quite a first world problem, especially compared to current events in the news.

1st of all you want to call Wild Bill at Ashland Mt. Adventures and budget out a season pass. It might change your perspective on how much you will be climbing, at least specifically up the dirt roads to get to 4 corners and Bull Gap.

You've already raced Mt. A, so you know what the trails are like after a good raking session. You need 6" and something that can handle steep loosey goosey loam for the unsanctioned trails, but I feel like the main trail system does quite fine with a slack head tube shorter travel bike in my opinion - just something that can hang onto berms, hold a line through ruts and control a slide through loam. The main system is really not technical at all, not littered with roots, no mandatory ledges up or down, rock gardens are pretty tame compared to Tahoe and Downieville. I feel like anything with wide rims and tires that will control slides is what you want for the unsanctioned trails and for when the main trails get dried and rutted out mid to late season. I'm just barely starting to explore the other riding in the area outside of Ashland (Mt. Shasta, Applegate Lake, Roseville stuff, North Umpqua stuff) but I feel like a lot of it can be steep and loose, so again with the slack head and wide rims. There is also the big ass dirt jumps section above Catwalk trail if you are into dirt jumping.

When I'm up there at Mt. A I see an above average number of Capras and HD3s. I see bay area types (like me) bring up M6's and HD3s. I have a Bronson and I see a few of those. I rarely see Yetis there but literally any bike in Yeti's trail or enduro lineup will be a solid hoot on those trails. AMA is a Kona shop so they rent out a lot of Processes (but even a Hei Hei can hang on the main trails). I rarely see 29ers out there but that's because I spend more time on the shuttle than riding uphill. There are places outside of Ashland where I feel a 29er could be beneficial, but I'm just personally biased toward the smaller or tweener wheel sizes.

Coming off a Mojo HD any new bike will feel like a welcome change, with slack head tubes, longer layouts, updated shocks/forks. I assume you want to continue doing enduro races with your new bike?

Personally if I were in your boat, I'd go with the SB6c only because I used to own an SB-66 and I know what that bike is capable of, especially for racing. SC Nomad would be a great one too. Both of those bikes have much longer reach than your current setup for rock solid stability, yet both have amazing linkages that give them solid climbing prowess and you can build them up to withstand extended downhill runs - but the climbing at Ashland is so non-technical that any not-so-heavy bike with a rear damper or lockout setting will be okay.

I'm tiny as all getout so I'd build an SB6c or Nomad for Ashland/Shasta with a Monarch RC3 and Pike fork, but if you're a clyde (and/or shuttling 75+%) then a Vivid Air and Lyrik might be more to your liking. (Also, since I rarely run more than 1 shuttle per day I'm also using an RT3 for weight savings - no piggyback but I would have one for sure if I actually lived there or in Tahoe where you can get 15K of descending in a day)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    DUDE!

Thanks for the killer response.

I definitely like playing in the loose/steep unsanctioned stuff. My local trails average about 1000' descending in a mile or so. Steep loose tech is awesome - but I am also very into the racing and want a bike that can giddy-up in the flats or pedaly stuff when needed. I'm thinking SB5c built with a 150mm pike/wide rims, etc could be good.

As cool as shuttling is, I'm also a workout freak and love painful climbs. I'm at around 225k feet of climbing this year so that is important.

I've hit Martys above catwalk if thats what you are talking about, but jumping isnt really my thing. I plan on exploring all the areas around Ashland extensively as well.

Anyways, sounds like HD3, built up SB5c, SB6, would all be good choices. Again thanks for the response. Gonna try to demo a fair amount and see what feels best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    ^^ It's Bear Creek Bicycle and John is a helluva rider and great guy.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Oops. Early Alzheimers. Thanks for setting that straight.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Moving to Ashland Oregon AND buying a new bike

I totally forgot to include Oakridge in that list, which isn't too far from Ashland. Duh.

Jumps, yes I was talking about Marty's ... That stuff is well over my pay grade. Sounds like it's in yours but you don't need a bike to specialize on it.

I'm not a sufferfest freak and have never tried the SB6c but the SB-66 did enjoy climbing very well, much more so than my current Bronson v1. So don't rule out the 6c on travel alone.

However, I agree that a SB5c or SC 5010 (v2) built up with a 150/120 Pike DPA and piggyback shock could be just the ticket for an all around uphill slayer that can hang on the bigger descents in town and in the area. No experience with the newest Ibis stuff so I can't comment (I have a gen 1 Mojo SL that is my fiancées ride).

Another intriguing one to demo is to try an SC Hightower with 27+ ... I've been intrigued with that as an all around 1-quiver bike for a place like Ashland that had some looser or less packed in trails in the general vicinity.

The only reason my previous list had the bigger bikes emphasized is because you mentioned racing endure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    One more thing to consider is whether or not you need a front derailleur and which frames are now set up to only accommodate 1x. If you are going to be racing, then 1x might not be enough range for you unless you can afford 1x12, in which case a 34 or 36t might give you enough range for up and down. Otherwise it sounds like a 28/40 or 26/38 front crankset might be your ticket.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    SB5c or SC 5010 (v2) built up with a 150/120 Pike DPA and piggyback shock could be just the ticket
    A friend (TahoeBC) just demoed Mojo3 with plus tires and had strong reviews about uphill capability:
    Weekend Ride Report July 7th-10th - Page 2- Mtbr.com

Probably don't need the plus tires for Ashland and Oakridge as they are way packed compared to Shasta, Tahoe, but running wide rims and 2.5's on any of the above 3 bikes mentioned could be a great all around solution!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks again,

Probly set on the 1x, for racing I just switch to a larger ring for race day, then back to a smaller back home. Seems like HD3 is a good in between of the SB5 and 6, but something about the mini DH, slackness of a SB6 has me intrigued. I will test ride and follow up.. I will also add that my weakest part of my game is cornering so something that accelerates out of corners on rails is gonna be important.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    A friend (TahoeBC) just demoed Mojo3 with plus tires and had strong reviews about uphill capability:
    Weekend Ride Report July 7th-10th - Page 2- Mtbr.com

Probably don't need the plus tires for Ashland and Oakridge as they are way packed compared to Shasta, Tahoe, but running wide rims and 2.5's on any of the above 3 bikes mentioned could be a great all around solution!
    Plus tires are actually a big help in Ashland during the blown out summer months. I demoed a Mojo3 here this past weekend and loved it. Just wish it had more travel.
    In terms of popular bikes here, I see a lot of Nomads, Bronsons, Devinci Spartans and HD3s. Fattie 6 too. Transitions are becoming popular as well. Talk to Bill at AMA.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Went with yeti 6c, got the screaming deal from backcountry and didn't look back, see you all on the trails!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    ^ boom! Enjoy and let us know how the ride is doing for you. I really wish I were on a 6c right now, or even my old SB66.