mtbr member
    Feb 2008

moving after college...Does oregon want another DHer

Well Ive lived in NH,(8 months and will never step foot near there again) and now Utah. Ive seen some pretty cool things for biking and skiing. What I'm really wanting in a northeastern touch with western awesomeness...next stop...Pacific Northwest

Biking, skiing and jeeping are my huge deals in life and im thinking of moving to outside of portland after i graduate (Meteorology Major, and id be liking to work Avalanche patrol and either fire weather/ hydrology or continue to be a white water raft guide) So do I do it? Do I go to oregon and love it?

Tell me if its a good choice or not
    Turner DHR

My threads are typically awful. Thanks for putting up with them.

mtbr member
    From your interests I'd say Portland would be pretty ideal, we've got all of what your looking for within an hour radius around town. Good white water (from what my friends say, don't do it), the Tillamook has the off road driving type stuff (again don't do it), and the BC skiing is good around Mt Hood (I do do this), the DH/FR type stuff is good, Post Canyon to the east and Black Rock to the south. Plus there'll be some new DH/FR stuff going in in the Tillamook soon.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun514
    What I'm really wanting in a northeastern touch with western awesomeness.
    What does "northeastern touch" mean?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    What does "northeastern touch" mean?
    Rocks

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    Rocks
    Despite Mt. Hood being a gigantic slab of dacite, you'll be disappointed if you come here (near Mt. Hood) looking for rocky trails. There are some fun sections here and there, but most of the challenges you'll face will be of the root variety.

Syncline, and maybe some of the Boundary Trail up in WA, are about as rocky as you'll get.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You need to join Inkpad in the big front range of CO. Rocks, rocks, rocks pimp trails, everything outdoors, and rocks! And not too big of a move from UT.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    Rocks
    Ahhhh, I see now. Somehow I had read into it as meaning "culturally northeastern" rather than "natural environmentally northeastern" (i.e., museums, politics, hot dog carts, subways, ballet, The Met, fashion shows, etc.). I'm glad I asked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokie496
    You need to join Inkpad in the big front range of CO. Rocks, rocks, rocks pimp trails, everything outdoors, and rocks! And not too big of a move from UT.
    Hey, don't let the cat out of the bag! BTW, howz the PUSH set up? had a chance to ride it yet?

Making fat cool since '71
    Late to the game here, but...while overall the riding in OR is excellent, the variety of "DH oriented (specific?)" riding is not good. I can think of 5 or 6 places in the state where it is good, but I can think of 5 or 6 places within an hour of each of these: GJ (CO), Denver, Salt Lake, Seattle and Fort Collins that are as good or better.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    northeast touch id say is fall, covered in trees. Rainy, rolling hills etc.
    I love utah, but i love beer too....Utah/ beer, Utah/beer...see, doesnt make sense. Mormons

I like wyoming, but i also like cities sometimes...WY/Cities, WY/Cities...doesnt make sense either.

CO seems awesome, but i like to be treed in. Maybe i should venture there once or twice but i also love when it rains, it rains less in CO(in the mountains)
    Turner DHR

Nat
    Solo contendre
    northeast touch id say is fall, covered in trees. Rainy, rolling hills etc.
    I love utah, but i love beer too....Utah/ beer, Utah/beer...see, doesnt make sense. Mormons

I like wyoming, but i also like cities sometimes...WY/Cities, WY/Cities...doesnt make sense either.

CO seems awesome, but i like to be treed in. Maybe i should venture there once or twice but i also love when it rains, it rains less in CO(in the mountains)
    There's definitely rain and trees here. Fall is the best.

Utah has beer. It's 3.2 and will make you bloated, but they have beer. I'm getting bloated just thinking about it.

mtbr member
    There are certainly worse places to try. The snow here is wetter than UT & CO (no big surprise there, just making sure you're aware) but the skiing is good on Hood & Bachelor (snow's noticeably drier on Bach too). Plenty of rafting throughout the Columbia Gorge area & other parts of the state, e.g., Rogue, Umpqua, etc. Rain & seasonal color are plentiful too, in some cases maybe too much rain but you get used to it. Doesn't sound like you were really asking about rocky terrain but there is some on Hood too, Gunsight/Gumjuwac trail comes to mind. For serious downhill you'll want to check the Post Canyon area on the west edge of Hood River, about an hour east of Portland. Lots of stunts & tricks there too. No shortage of jeep terrain either so you should be pretty happy here, for a while at least. : )
    Did I mention we have a LOT of great breweries too?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yeah, thats not it though, i want some more trees, big skiing and a change of mormons
    Turner DHR

Afric Pepperbird
    Oregon has it all! Every eco-region except tundra. And lottsa beer. Did we mention beer? And the stately Douglas Firs and Ponderosa Pines should quench your tree longing (I'm a hugger, myself). And a refreshing lack of brainwashed, white-shirted kids knocking on your door preaching Mor(m)onism.

Just remember to please "jeep" responsibly. We don't take too kindly to Yahoo's here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ^whats a yahoo?

And i really only overland...which is like easy offroading to get to camping spots
    Turner DHR

mtbr member
    ^whats a yahoo?

And i really only overland...which is like easy offroading to get to camping spots

Yahoos are the folks that think driving their 4x4 across an open meadow while flooring the gas and tearing the crap out of the terrain is fun.

Jeeping takes place on established ORV trails here, there isn't much "exploring" to be done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    There's skiing in Oregon. Just not much of the steep, squallywood type stuff. Washington and BC, have the NW claim to that. There's lots of true backcountry terrain though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by acctnut
    There's skiing in Oregon. Just not much of the steep, squallywood type stuff. Washington and BC, have the NW claim to that. There's lots of true backcountry terrain though.
    You just need to know where to look.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

backcountry

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    You just need to know where to look.
    Yeah, like Mt Baily, but at $375 per day....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    im thinking after looking more about living between portland and seattle...keeping the cascade range...maybe leaning more towards snowqualmie area too for crystal mountain...i know its washington but still
    Turner DHR

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Between Portland and Seattle you are looking at no mans land, there isn't a whole lot between there, especially for riding bikes. Snoqualmie and "big" skiing is definitely an oxymoron (or Mormon, whichever you prefer), and crystal is a joke expensive and a trip to get to.

Sounds like you would be much happier in Bellingham, if you can find a job you can't get too much better, you can drive your jeep to camp, river it up, good riding close to town, shore close by, WHISTLER! is a day trip easy, and Baker is the best place to ski in Washington. Breweries there too...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokie496
    Between Portland and Seattle you are looking at no mans land, there isn't a whole lot between there, especially for riding bikes. Snoqualmie and "big" skiing is definitely an oxymoron (or Mormon, whichever you prefer), and crystal is a joke expensive and a trip to get to.

Sounds like you would be much happier in Bellingham, if you can find a job you can't get too much better, you can drive your jeep to camp, river it up, good riding close to town, shore close by, WHISTLER! is a day trip easy, and Baker is the best place to ski in Washington. Breweries there too...
    Yep

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by acctnut
    Yeah, like Mt Baily, but at $375 per day....
    Is that what it's up to now? I wouldn't pay $375 for a day of cat skiing on Bailey, did it about 10 years ago when it was a lot cheaper than that, and it was a good day, but not worth $375.