mtbr member

Mountain Bike Oregon (MBO) 2016

EDIT - Original posting (quoted below for reference) was for July MBO 2016. I'm not going to August MBO 2016:

Who's going to MBO?

I'm signed up for Friday Full Middle Fork, Saturday Lost Creek (i.e. Sawtooth + Lost Creek + Eagles Rest + Goodman). Sunday is open because I was signed up for Moon Point that was subsequently cancelled. Might try to self-shuttle Moon Point on Thursday if I can get friends interested in going.

Blue/pink Nomad, black/blue Bell helmet, glasses on the trail. Team Dirt / IMBA / DoD shirt and holding a beer when not on the trail.

Will be interesting to see how it works out with the change in location.
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 08-15-2016 at 02:51 PM. Reason: edited to reflect that I'm not going in August

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey Tim:
    I'm doing ACTA on Friday, Full Middle Fork on Saturday, and Heckletooth on Sunday. Black POC helmet, orange Ibis Ripley LS, glasses.

At least when you finish ATCA you won't have to go anywhere!

See you there!

mtbr member
    Sounds like this is in Southern Oregon O.o' *Lost Creek*, Haven't ever ridden around that area :O.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Naw, this is Central Oregon, SE of Eugene and west of the Cascade Crest. Oakridge, OR.
    Oakridge, Oregon Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

EMBA Member
    Looking forward to some reports. I'm signed up for August MBO. What happened with Moon Point? I have that one scheduled when I am there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    What happened with Moon Point? I have that one scheduled when I am there.
    Cancelled due to lack of interest. Not enough people signed up for it to make it happen. I haven't figured out what I'm riding instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Naw, this is Central Oregon, SE of Eugene and west of the Cascade Crest. Oakridge, OR.
    Oakridge, Oregon Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks
    Thanks for the link, that's actually going to help me out quite a bit, looking for trails in my area to ride once I rebuild my DB Atroz Comp.

mtbr member
    1. Big announcement of only one MBO next year. Additionally, Brock is retiring from guide leadership, with Tacoma taking over.

2. New location is vast. Lots of weeds. I'm going to bring tools next time to clear my campsite. Having the car close by is a game changer (something to lock bike to, store snacks and beer, trips to town for food and ice).

3. Moon Point (Th), Full Middle Fork (Fr), Lost Creek (Sa), Heckletooth (Su), all awesome. Trails were tacky and perfect. Some had just been logged or brushed out only days before the event.

4. All the guides and event staff were awesome.

5. Trains were apocalyptically loud. Bring earplugs.

6. Bier garden seemed small? I spent only one evening there so I am not sure. Attendance also seemed low but maybe with a busier August it will be more noticeable.

7. I did Heckletooth today (Sunday). Small group so we must have seen each other, MountainHead.

8. Stewart's 58 is awesome. Such good burgers/fries/shakes. The Union continues to pour excellent cask ales and rallies super fast and friendly service, always a solid choice.

9. I didn't get an afternoon ride in. They seem logistically more complex, except the short shuttle up to Buckhead in Alpine which is a great idea and drops you right back to camp. I drank a beer and watched folks descend the last segment from my chair.

10. I'm signing up for next year as soon as it opens.
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 07-18-2016 at 10:09 AM.

EMBA Member
    Thanks for the intel. Need to check out the other rides in case they cancel Moon Point in August. They rate Heckletooth as extreme tech. Watched a video someone posted - looked like some climbing sections I'd need to hike, and some crazy downhill switchbacks with exposure that need to be respected, but besides that, not extreme. You know how video makes things look easier though - especially difficult to gauge how steep things are. Is the extreme rating their insurance agent talking or is that legit? Wouldn't have thought to bring my machette or ear plugs.

mtbr member
    There are some rocky exposed chutes on Little Bunchgrass, some with exposure and some of that exposure is in tight switchbacks. Then off Heckletooth Mountain there is a rock garden that becomes rock switchbacks with exposure. One of our guides cleaned it. Was an impressive display of low speed control. I rode the upper chute and stopped when I reached the corner.

The hike-a-bike up Heckletooth mountain is a grunt.

Below the rock chutes you get some loose fall line, some corners they call the "seven deadly switchbacks of the apocalypse" and some fast side hill benched single track. Actually a lot of that last one.

It's a great ride to end MBO. Some speed, some tech. Nothing to make an experienced rider quit in frustration but you might be walking parts. Nothing like the crowds and skids on Alpine and Lawler/Hardesty.

I got a Cog Wild shuttle up to Moon Point with some friends on Thursday. $45/person with a 4-riser minimum. 2 guys burned up their brake pads and I went OTB within 1/4 mile of the end at Campers Flat.

mtbr member
    I rode Heckeltooth & walked a few sections but it's mostly fast & fun. Highly recommended. The trains are a bit on the loud side but I don't know that earplugs are required. I do think they are a good trade off for not being right next to Hwy 58 which is a 24/7 source of noise. The new location feels more out in the woods too, which is nice.

TB nailed the rest of the report. Great trails, great conditions, great fellow-lunatics to push you up & down the trails.

Peace on dirt.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    ...rocky exposed chutes...exposure...tight switchbacks...rock garden that becomes rock switchbacks with exposure...hike-a-bike up Heckletooth mountain is a grunt...loose fall line...seven deadly switchbacks of the apocalypse...some fast side hill benched single track...you might be walking parts...I went OTB within 1/4 mile of the end at Campers Flat...
    Oh man, I can't wait to get down there! Sounds like heaven on earth.

mtbr member
    maddux

You have any pics of the new site venue?

Signed up for august, will be my 4th/5th year in a row can't remember. Anything you would bring besides earplugs that you wouldn't from years past due to new site?

Is this new site randyland? He mentioned it 2 years ago.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah forgot!!!

Most importantly how was the mini bike race? New track at randyland?

mtbr member
    Randyland... Totally gone. Campground is just west of the bottom of Alpine and the pump track and covered bridge.

Photos... I don't have any good pics of the campsite. Any online satellite/aerial mapping service will give you a good sense. For ground-level views check out the posts on Facebook by the Mountain Bike Oregon page.

Campsite... My spot was pretty rough so I pulled weeds beforehand. Next time I'm bringing a weed whacker and 5 gallons of 2-cycle and going to work. Be sure to check for trees. There were a few 1 1/2 in diameter 4in tall seedlings (?) in our campsite that we spotted later on after we'd stomped down the other weeds. Had to take those out with an axe. Otherwise the ground is a lot harder than the old lush lawn, so plan accordingly.

Shade... Next time I'll bring a pop-up awning to complement the ones my friends brought. There are only a few trees, they're at the edge of the property, and they don't provide much at certain times of day.

Water... I was a little paranoid about this so I bought bottled drinking water on my way in. There is one tap of potable water on-site, it's the bike wash at the portal near the pump track.

Mini bike race... didn't watch it but they did it on the Westfir pump track.

Don't be an idiot... I took a shower shuttle on Friday. WHY? I could have just driven over to the showers. So dumb. I had to go into town anyway to get some stuff at Ray's. Aaaagggh. The only thing that made me feel better was seeing 8+ people on the next shuttle when I got a ride from smart people back to camp.

River access... A City of Westfir employee brushed in a path down to the river with a weed whacker on Friday, just 300ft up the road after taking the left hand turn out of the post office bridge.

Westfir Deli ... Little quickie-mart type place, go straight when you come off the bridge, passing the lodge and pizza place on your right and then look for it on the left. I restocked with ice and other stuff there pretty regularly.

Hope this helps,

mtbr member
    thanks Maddux

Water ... did they have a hydration station setup like in years past? It was always near the registration booth.

River access ... we were always dirt balls & river showered every day. walked under freeway at far side of camp near rest stop bathroom, river was a little less swift there you could actually wade into it. Any spot like that at new camp?

westfir deli ... yes very nice to have close to camp, picked up beers after atca here.

checked out FB page thanks

mtbr member
    No hydration station. Just the one hose bib, at the bike wash, along a wooden railing, just off the pump track.

I didn't go to the river but I heard good things about the access that the Westfir city guy cleared for people with a weed whacker. They said there was a sandy bottom and a rock you could climb out on etc. This is the N. Fork of the Willamette which flows out of Waldo Lake and isn't impounded behind any dams, so it's a reasonable temperature like the Salmon (which is the river you went to before).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainHead View Post
    Hey Tim:
    I'm doing ACTA on Friday, Full Middle Fork on Saturday, and Heckletooth on Sunday. Black POC helmet, orange Ibis Ripley LS, glasses.

At least when you finish ATCA you won't have to go anywhere!

See you there!
    Hey, total fluke, but I'm doing the same trails on same days! Will look for the Ripley. I'm on a black & red Rocky Altitude with a black Giro and orange pack. See you there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Hey, total fluke, but I'm doing the same trails on same days! Will look for the Ripley. I'm on a black & red Rocky Altitude with a black Giro and orange pack. See you there.
    Should be a fun weekend. I imagine some of the corners on ATCA will be a little blown out after July MBO and the Cream Puff have ridden down it along with everyone else on a regular basis.

Just to clarify, the original posting (I've edited to reflect this) and MountainHead's reply were about July MBO. I'm not going to August.

Everything I wrote later on about what July was like with the new setup should still be accurate...

EMBA Member
    Friday - Hardesty/Lawler, Saturday - Heckletooth, Sunday - Alpine. Looking forward to it.

mtbr member

Best thing about MBO is...

Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    Friday - Hardesty/Lawler, Saturday - Heckletooth, Sunday - Alpine. Looking forward to it.
    ...even if you start a ride not knowing anybody, you will make some friends before you're done riding.

I'm an old guy with a white Yeti, if you get really desperate.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgedon View Post
    ...even if you start a ride not knowing anybody, you will make some friends before you're done riding.

I'm an old guy with a white Yeti, if you get really desperate.
    That's what I like best about mountain biking. At worse, you are with a bunch of friends that you just haven't met yet.

EMBA Member
    Just got back from MBO. Had a great time. My first trip to Oakridge.

The people working the event are as nice and helpful as you could want.

Into the 90's every day. Shade was at a premium. What I learned for next year - check forecast. If going to be hot, bring canopy. As you'll see below, the camping location had very few trees.

Your bike will take a pounding. Middle of day three, my suspension pivot bearings started creaking and cracking something fierce. Also on day 3 I woke up with a flat rear tire. On day 2, tore off a hunk of tire through the casing enough to create a slow leak. Didn't know I had a problem. Next year, check bike before going to bed and again first thing in the morning. Don't want the bus to leave without you.

Hustled around the site and managed to get what I needed to keep on riding. Shout out to the DT Swiss people for selling me a tire and to Rob, Jessica and Gaddis at Rocky Mountain Bikes for an assist with some Stans and their pressurized pump.

Here's a picture of the camping area from the final descent on the Alpine Trail.

Mountain Bike Oregon (MBO) 2016-p1010908-small.jpg

Here's the adult beverage garden, They had a good selection to choose from. Pump track on the right.

Mountain Bike Oregon (MBO) 2016-20160826_184957-small.jpg

Regarding the trails, what comes to mind is lots of steep terrain, lots of switchbacks, some of the crazy variety, most with exposure, some with crazy exposure. Lot's of rock. Not as many roots to deal with as I'm used to. The scariest was off the top of Heckletooth. Gnarly rocky exposed jagged far from the trailhead downhill madness. I walked some of those. Trails, except portions of Alpine which is so heavily traveled, were surprisingly less blown out than I expected.

Friday was Lawler and Hardesty.

For Lawler, we did the optional 3 mile out and back to the lookout. Picture from the lookout.

Mountain Bike Oregon (MBO) 2016-20160826_101209-small.jpg

After Lawler, you shuttle back up to about the same place as Lawler start, but then head a different direction. First a dirt road ride, then up singletrack. Fairly steep and unrelenting climb, especially after finishing Lawler. Payoff is what I thought was the best downhill of the trails I saw (but this is almost a dead heat between everything I saw - all the descending was amazing). You end Hardesty out on the road, then just ride down to where the bus picks you up.

Total stats for day, not including road ride to bus after Hardesty - 20.3 miles, 2,346 ft climbing, 7,929 ft descending.

Saturday was Heckletooth.

From the bus drop point, you ride up the road a ways, Then onto singletrack in a loop back through the forest to where the truck dropped you off. Really fun forest riding. Skinny fast trails with enough tech to keep you on your toes.
    Cross over where the bus dropped us off, and continue through the forest. A couple hike a bike sections until you get to the top. Here's the view from the top.

Mountain Bike Oregon (MBO) 2016-heckletooth-panorama-small-cropped.jpg

Total stats for day - 11 miles, 1,673 climbing, 3,835 descending

Sunday was Alpine.

Lots of fun. Some techie parts with switchbacks, but generally faster than the other trails I saw. Extended steep hillside benched trails. At one point, I was thinking a lot of it was just like that steep hillside on the summit trail on Tiger (except much much longer). You cross several roads, but the trails pick up right across the road and just keeps on.

Total stats for day - 14.2 miles, 1,368 ft climbing, 4,482 ft descending.

Overall 3 day total - 45.5 miles, 5,387 ft climbing, 16,250 ft descending.

Here's a picture of the mini bike race. Leader wearing a shell bra, while second place is sporting a lovely floral dress.

Mountain Bike Oregon (MBO) 2016-mini-bike-race-small.jpg
    Last edited by Ladmo; 08-29-2016 at 01:49 PM.