mtbr member

Mountain Bike Oregon July 2014 - Who's going?

I'll be there Thursday trying to pitch a brand-new tent. First MBO for me but have ridden most of the trails. Looking forward to the full Middle Fork ride. Maybe Bunchgrass/Heckletooth as well but not sure if I'm up for those. We'll see!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I will be guiding.

If you have any question about being up for Bunchgrass, you probably are not.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Ill be there, hopefully the heat wave wont. At Mt. Hood now to ride Sandy Ridge the next two days....its nice and toasty.

Damn, Shiggys guiding....gotta get in on somma that action! Which rides? Im signed up for the Moonpoint ride on Friday.

Re: Mountain Bike Oregon July 2014 - Who's going?

Quote Originally Posted by Betarad View Post
    Ill be there, hopefully the heat wave wont. At Mt. Hood now to ride Sandy Ridge the next two days....its nice and toasty.

Damn, Shiggys guiding....gotta get in on somma that action! Which rides? Im signed up for the Moonpoint ride on Friday.
    I will not know my assignments until I get there.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Shiggy will only be guiding the Big Shuttle Rides, where a dropper post, super-wide riser bars, flat pedals with big spikes, and at least one piece of Enduro Blue clothing will be required.

That is just how he rolls!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Received my assignments today.

Friday: Middle Fork Top
    Saturday: Hardesty/Lawler
    Sunday: ATCA

I am a happy boy. kosmo knows me so well!
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm heading down from Portland on Thursday evening. If anyone is interested in sharing a ride let me know. I have room for one additional person / bike in my rig.

reply here if interested!
    Last edited by bernietheoneandonly; 07-16-2014 at 07:14 PM.

mtbr member
    The whole weekend was great.

Thursday I did 2 laps at Alsea Falls for a warm-up, got to MBO by mid-afternoon, spent way too long pitching my tent (amateur) and then met up with some friends for dinner at the Brewers Union (decent selection of cask ales, good food, outstanding service).

Friday I rode the full Middle Fork. One of my friends described it as an adventure, and I'd agree. The most fun and unusual (for me) was the primitive/undeveloped trail at the very top, with all the roots and rocks and water in the trail. The burned area on the way down before lunch was also very pretty.

Saturday was ATCA. Very comfortable temperatures at Kate's Cut-in. Can't pick a favorite section but Jedi, the new Windy Pass connector trail, and Tire Mt descent would be contenders. The road climb up to the Tire-Alpine connector switchbacks was so hot (the price we paid for being comfy at Kate's). I rank that switchback trail as one of my favorite climbs in Oregon. Not scenic but it's about as fun as a climb can get. I was dead on my bike by the time we rolled across the covered bridge.

Awesome guides. Especially Good Chris and Alan for picking me up after a crash descending Tire, Paul for leading my way down Middle Fork and giving me someone fun to chase, and Shiggy for the conversation on the drive up to Timpanogas.

I am already signed up for next year.

Re: Mountain Bike Oregon July 2014 - Who's going?

Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    The whole weekend was great.

Thursday I did 2 laps at Alsea Falls for a warm-up, got to MBO by mid-afternoon, spent way too long pitching my tent (amateur) and then met up with some friends for dinner at the Brewers Union (decent selection of cask ales, good food, outstanding service).

Friday I rode the full Middle Fork. One of my friends described it as an adventure, and I'd agree. The most fun and unusual (for me) was the primitive/undeveloped trail at the very top, with all the roots and rocks and water in the trail. The burned area on the way down before lunch was also very pretty.

Saturday was ATCA. Very comfortable temperatures at Kate's Cut-in. Can't pick a favorite section but Jedi, the new Windy Pass connector trail, and Tire Mt descent would be contenders. The road climb up to the Tire-Alpine connector switchbacks was so hot (the price we paid for being comfy at Kate's). I rank that switchback trail as one of my favorite climbs in Oregon. Not scenic but it's about as fun as a climb can get. I was dead on my bike by the time we rolled across the covered bridge.

Awesome guides. Especially Good Chris and Alan for picking me up after a crash descending Tire, Paul for leading my way down Middle Fork and giving me someone fun to chase, and Shiggy for the conversation on the drive up to Timpanogas.

I am already signed up for next year.
    Good to meet you and glad you had fun.

I will be back to guide in August.
    mtbtires.com