mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Mount Hood / Government Camp

I have a family weekend planned the first weekend in August and we will be staying in Government camp for three days. I would like to get in at least two rides during the weekend of 10-20 miles each, any suggestions?

I noticed the trails on the south side of US 26, is there a suggested route to tackle those?

Is heading to Sandy Ridge worth the drive or is there plenty to ride right at Gov't Camp? Trying to limit time away from the house/family, but wanting to maximize my riding each day. I can probably sneak out for 2-4 hrs each day.

Any thoughts/help is much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sandy Ridge is a mountain biking optimized trail system with a mix of character from flow to very technical with punishing rock gardens to jump lines on converted roads to cross-country with short bursts of climbs and descents. There is a lot of natural rock in the tread and not a lot of sand. There's a many-paged Sandy Ridge thread in the forum that you should check out. If you like jumps be sure to find the unofficial/unauthorized/private property trails called "TnT" and "Little Monkey".

The other big ride would be Timberline to Town followed by Crosstown and then Pioneer Bridal. It's easily shuttled on your own or you can try to fit onto the Mt. Hood Express bus.

I'm about 90% sure that the trails on the south side of US 26 that you refer to are the lift-accessed trails at Ski Bowl.

Another option would be to head east on 26 and pick up the 44 Trails network, like Surveyor's Ridge (an IMBA epic if that's your thing), Gunsight/Gumjuwac, etc.

Hope this helps.

EDIT - Almost forgot. El Burro Loco in Brightwood is excellent Tex-Mex. Shockingly good considering what you might expect given its location.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    tbmaddux - many thanks this is very helpful. The Timberline to Town route is definitely on my list. I'll check our Surveyor's Ridge as well - always nice to fit an epic in if possible.

mtbr member
    Is the express bus a pretty good bet or hard to get a spot from Rhodendron? Thinking about it for day after tomorrow. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    On weekdays it's not bad. On weekends I notice it gets a little tight earlier in the day.