Metalheadbikerider

More riding in Forest Park....

Check out the article on bikeportland for updates on the white paper document that was recently signed. Some great news about inevitable increased riding opportunities in FP.

http://bikeportland.org/2009/07/17/m...omment-1358533

I am also leading a work party on FL 5 on August 22nd. Free beer after the work party provided by Sellwood Cycles.....
    More details to come. Here is a link to the NWTA website to sign up. You do not need to be a member of NWTA to attend. You can also send me a message here on mtbr if you have questions.

http://nw-trail.org/node/1364

Cheers,
    Brian
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    It's a start, but I didn't see anything in the White Paper that indicated that cyclists will ever be considered anything other than second-class citizens in Forest Park. My hat's off to the folks who have the patience to butt heads with the anti-bike establishment in Portland.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    It's a start, but I didn't see anything in the White Paper that indicated that cyclists will ever be considered anything other than second-class citizens in Forest Park.
    Portland loves bikes/bikers.......... as long as you commuting to work or riding a fixie to the coffee shop.

Metalheadbikerider

Feels like banging your head...

Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    It's a start, but I didn't see anything in the White Paper that indicated that cyclists will ever be considered anything other than second-class citizens in Forest Park. My hat's off to the folks who have the patience to butt heads with the anti-bike establishment in Portland.
    against a wall at times, but I am optimistic that it will have positive outcomes in the future. And with the cost of gas, I really don't have much choice but get involved. When I first started riding here 11 years ago, I could drive to St. Helens or Hood a couple times a week during the summer (nice perk of being a teacher). Now it is just getting to be too spendy to do that. $20 in gas + $10 for food/beer = me advocating for more ST locally!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Metalheadbikerider

So true

Quote Originally Posted by noparking
    Portland loves bikes/bikers.......... as long as you commuting to work or riding a fixie to the coffee shop.
    But we do have the Platinum Status on our side, which is why I think we are having a top-down push for more Singletrack. The city definitely wants to retain that status, and to do so will need to find solutions for us. Now is a great time to get involved with something (Gateway Green, Powell Butte, Forest Park, etc.). I am hopeful we will be reading about the big changes in the Portland mtb scene in an issue of BIKE in the future.

mtbr member
    Living in the gorge, riding in Forest Park is only slightly better than sidewalk, but I do ride there occasionally with some friends who live in Portland & I've never had any unpleasant experiences with the hikers on the trails. I usually slow down as I pass & sometimes even say "Hi", just to throw them off.

Why hate on hikers? Heck, some of my best friends walk. : )

mtbr member
    I imba should revoke portland platinum status till they get their act together, or put portland on double secret probation. I was in hood river the other day and i couldn't believe how many mt. bikers there were, riding on the trails and around town, really pisses me off because there is no reason NW pdx and forest park couldn't be like that

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by willymcd
    I imba should revoke portland platinum status till they get their act together, or put portland on double secret probation. I was in hood river the other day and i couldn't believe how many mt. bikers there were, riding on the trails and around town, really pisses me off because there is no reason NW pdx and forest park couldn't be like that
    There are a lot of people with expensive mountain bikes in Hood River. Lots of nice bikes thrown over Dakine tailgate pads, and paraded through town.

There are relatively few mountain bikers in comparison, though.

troubled economist
    Quote Originally Posted by willymcd
    Just to be clear, IMBA does not issue "Bike Friendly Status" for cities/businesses. It's the League of American Bicyclists. IMO, I'm pretty sure that if IMBA was issuing the designation that we wouldn't be Platinum.

The status is issued for a period of time, but then cities come up for review upon renewal. Certainly accessible singletrack (aka natural surface trails) will be considered upon renewal, as the deficiency was noted in the original designation, and it's a requirement.

Portland has a long way to go. I was very cynical in the past (been here 10+ yrs), but I really do think things will change with regards to access. The White Paper is important, as well as the Trail Maintenance Agreement that NWTA signed w/ the FPC and Portland Parks. It's all setting the foundation for a successful co-existence of bikers and other users of the park.

Black Rock didn't happen overnight. We're dealing w/ govt agencies. It will take some time. There's a lot of people busting their ass to make this happen (Tom Archer, Erik Tonkin, Frank Selker, to name a few). And the commisioner over Parks (Nick Fish) and his office have been receptive to input from bikers.

Good things can and will happen. Hell, ODF just recently did a walk thru on an illegal trail in the TSF and it appears that trail will be adopted and made legal. Few would have thought that would be possible, but a long relationship w/ ODF was fostered (by cycling groups) and helped make that happen. And ODF has agreed to allow building a new DH trail in the TSF. It didn't happen overnight... but successes like this give me hope for FP.

troubled economist

August 2009 FP update

Good news on Forest Park, and an update on Powell Butte.... See link for details

From the NWTA website:
    http://nw-trail.org/node/1405
    Posted by Tom Archer, NWTA Advocacy Director

Snippet:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Archer- NWTA
    Parks is committed to expanding the off-road cycling network in the near term,
    with the intent of having at least some new trails by summer of 2010! I nearly
    fell out of my chair when I heard this, as it is almost a total 180 from what we
    had been hearing from Parks over the last couple years. To that aim, Emily
    (Emily Roth, Planner with Portland Parks) indicated that Parks would be
    undertaking a public involvement process that includes forming a project
    advisory committee charged with laying out a plan to expand the trail network.
    http://nw-trail.org/node/1405