Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mill city

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Mill city

Its been a long time but I used to enjoy the trails out of mill city. If anyone remembers the Santiam pedal fest xc race? I was one of the race promoters and wondered if any one was still riding up there?

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffm View Post
    Its been a long time but I used to enjoy the trails out of mill city. If anyone remembers the Santiam pedal fest xc race? I was one of the race promoters and wondered if any one was still riding up there?
    I have a friend in Mill City. I may have to ride there someday on a visit.

Is this the route?:

What is this, singletrack? Doubletrack?

Thanks in advance

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Another promoter here... I rode one of the trail sections last summer and it was still intact. Not sure about the rest of them though. There's been some logging on the western side of where the course went. The newish monument peak system has more trail then the pedal feat course did though, but unfortunately gets more horse use too.

PM me for more detail, I can probably point you in the right direction out there.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I have a friend in Mill City. I may have to ride there someday on a visit.

Is this the route?:

What is this, singletrack? Doubletrack?

Thanks in advance
    Where'd you find that map? I don't think I even have a copy, and my brother and I were the ones responsible for most of those trails and the first two years of the race. Our maps, were a lot more crude, with the trails pencilled in on photocopied pages of the gazetteer.

'the motorcycle trail' was still intact and open as of June.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    Where'd you find that map? I don't think I even have a copy, and my brother and I were the ones responsible for most of those trails and the first two years of the race. Our maps, were a lot more crude, with the trails pencilled in on photocopied pages of the gazetteer.

That was the map that the Cascade HS Cycling club produced I believe. (with a few upgrades) I was the advisor Acree. I remember you actually....you were kind enough to show us those trails in the first place! Long time eh?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post

Essentially the course is based on fireroad climbs and singletrack descents. The singletrack after the Big Jesus climb (QV2) is awesome IMHO. The rest is good enough to bring us back again and again when we lived in Salem.

But I was asking because I was feeling a bit of nostalgia....I might need to go ride them again.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Memories! I raced there what, like 12-13 years ago?

Best part was a bunch of us old timers (40+) sport class were grinding up that biotching long and steep fireroad climb. All were grim faced and suffering badly but no one wanted to cave. Finally the wisest of us swung his legs off the bike to walk a bit muttering "ah eff it". Almost immediately a chorus of "no shame in walking" rang out from the rest of the group and we were all off the bikes and walking too. We then kind of laughed and joked until the grade leveled out. Then the race faces came back out and it was each one for themselves for the singletrack descent. Dang good days!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Memories! I raced there what, like 12-13 years ago?

Best part was a bunch of us old timers (40+) sport class were grinding up that biotching long and steep fireroad climb. All were grim faced and suffering badly but no one wanted to cave. Finally the wisest of us swung his legs off the bike to walk a bit muttering "ah eff it". Almost immediately a chorus of "no shame in walking" rang out from the rest of the group and we were all off the bikes and walking too. We then kind of laughed and joked until the grade leveled out. Then the race faces came back out and it was each one for themselves for the singletrack descent. Dang good days!

Thanks for the story! Thats awesome

VP/ Terrain Designer
    What is the Monument peak system? map? Are there any good shuttleable trails? I know that last question may be frowned upon, but i like riding my big bike!
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I seem to remember that race having one of the longest, most unpleasant climbs I have experienced. Bring it back!

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink View Post
    I seem to remember that race having one of the longest, most unpleasant climbs I have experienced. Bring it back!
    And yet that was just cracking the potential of what's out there as far as climbing. It's Oakridgish like that, but without the singletrack to come back down on. Tons of potential, and back in the day we just built trail, showed ODF and BLM and they were fine with it. I'm sure it's tougher to get done now. The Shelburg and Monument systems could both hold similar events to the Pedalfest.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink View Post
    It was/is a nasty climb. I was always concerned that the climb would scare people off, maybe it did.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    monument isnt any worse of a climb than blackrock, but yeah it is shuttleable if you want a DH oriented AM ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNick View Post
    What is the Monument peak system? map? Are there any good shuttleable trails? I know that last question may be frowned upon, but i like riding my big bike!
    here is the link to the state map:

http://oregon.gov/ODF/northcascade/d...Horse_Camp.pdf

monument really isn't a big bike trail in my opinion, i like riding it but only when a riding bud who lives 1 mile from the trail head is in town, otherwise i would choose shellburg over it up in that area.

Framebones
    I hope no one minds my asking for a bit of guidance regarding trails around Mill City/Gates or anywhere else in the North Santiam area. I am very happy to have come across this thread.

Thanks!

I had a friend up to my shop here in Mill City on Thursday who wants to come back when the weather warms up and do some exploring with me here in the canyon, but I don't know much about the trail systems around here.

One might say I am a novice rider at best, but my friend is a world class pro cross country endurance racer, so I am a bit intimidated about trying to show him any of the trails here in the canyon without knowing much about them first.

We discussed riding Monument Peak. I've done part of it on bike once starting at the Magic trail and up past the horse camp side, but would really like to know more about it. I went as far as the highest point in the trail system, but turned back because a nasty rain storm with wind had moved in.

Perhaps someone here could tell me a bit more about my surroundings here?

Thanks for discussing this topic,

OldWelder

mtbr member
    Hey,

Would be happy to show you some of the local trails around shellburg falls if you are interested. As soon as my riding bud returns from down south we will ride monument peak trails, he lives in gates about a mile from the trail head, and i haven't rode there in a while. I post all of my rides on this site

Salem Oregon Mountain Bike Association(SOMBA) (Salem, OR) - Meetup

would love to ride with you sometime.

Framebones
    jaewannabe,

Thank you for the offer. It is alway very cool to hookup with others who have a passion for riding. I have ridden the August trail at Shellburg but that is about all. I love the fact that I can get there by bike without the use of a car.

Monument's Magic trail parking lot is even closer, say 4 + miles.

The old Santiam Pedalfest route went directly in front of my house, which is also where my workshop is. So the original Pedalfest trails are right out my back door, and Moument Peak is kinda visible (in winter) from the window above my work bench. I often stop and stare and consider all it has to offer.

Maybe when the snow melts and the trails dryout.

mtbr member
    Nice view I'm jealous

Framebones
    Yeah, but my workshop is cold too, so don't think its all fun.

The image is not actually my view. I took that shot the other day from the other side of town while out on a shake down run for a belt drive/alfine 11 bike I built (a commuter). Snow levels up here keep going up and down on the mountains around us. It had actually snowed at my house for bit the day I took the image, but the weather changes quickly here in the canyon.

Still I manage to get about 7-8 miles a day in by riding down along the river to Fishermans Bend, sometimes longer when time permits . Part of the ride is by road with a small amount of singletrack in the park. It beats getting all mushy over winter, something I can't afford. And it really beats having to use the trainer to keep up the legs.

I want to see others become more interested in this area. I know there are many more trails here but I just need more folks to step up and share their knowledge of what's here.

Opal Creek is a cool destination too. Its just across the mountain via Gates Hill Rd.

Framebones
    Last year there was a 15k marathon on Monument peak. Here is a link showing images of the trials, the maturity of the trails system, and how well they are maintaines:

1/23/2011 Monument Peak Course Scouting Day - runwildadventures' Photos

This event is going to happen again this year on April 21

Elevation map of the trails the marathon uses, but the Magic trail starts at the lower parking area 400' in evevation lower than this map:

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

hmm

It would be cool to meet up and ride those trails again with someone. We should keep this thread alive.

I used to be able to do that climb pretty easy. I imagine it would kill me know.

mtbr member

Keepin this thread alive!

A buddy and I rode Monument last Friday and the trails are in awesome shape! If you want to test your fitness level and gets some good technical climbing in,come on up! It was my first ride up there this season and it about killed me! But then again,I'm fat,old and slow!
    Last edited by jekramerjr51; 05-23-2012 at 02:29 PM.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by ksearsor View Post
    monument isnt any worse of a climb than blackrock, but yeah it is shuttleable if you want a DH oriented AM ride
    Thats because ksearsor rides the gravel road up to the top! Round here we trail up,baby! Just playin K!

yukonjak
    Apr 2012
    I live in lyons and have really only been riding the shelburg to silver creek falls area. Id like to try it up there, where do the trails start on monument?

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonjak View Post
    I live in lyons and have really only been riding the shelburg to silver creek falls area. Id like to try it up there, where do the trails start on monument?
    The bottom trailhead is at the bottom of Monument, the gravel lot where the road makes a hard left. There may be maps available at the TH. I'd ride up the road to the uppermost trail crossing, and then come back down on trail. That'd be a 6 or 7 mile loop I'm guessing. Trails were thoroughly f'd up from horses on Sunday though. Every low spot was muddy, and every slight incline was stairstepped. Definitely needs more mtn bike use to smooth out there 4 legged excavator damage.

You might also try going up McCully mtn, keep an eye out at one of the switchbacks that makes a right hand hand turn for a trail going off to the left. There used to be a trail network out there that fun. It was all horse trail in the replanted clear cuts. Haven't been out there in years, hopefully they're still there. There are/were trails immediately south of Mill City as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast