Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Might be moving to Bend!

Hello all,

I am considering taking a position with my company out with you guys in Bend. I am trying to gather necessary info pertinent to my lifestyle:

• Cool People
    • Mountain Bikers
    • Good Food
    • Good Weather (Fair amount of Sun)
      • Beautiful, down to earth Women

Please feel free to comment/provide info on any and all listed bullet points. Also, if anything additional comes to mind I would certainly more than appreciate your viewpoints/thoughts/opinions.

Many Thanks, Justin (PanFry)

P.S.> I have a 110lb. Chocolate Lab named Marley so let me know how dog friendly the city/trails are as I try to take him everywhere with me. Also, I ride a rigid One9 by Niner if that helps at all.

Thanks again, J
    Last edited by PanFry; 12-12-2007 at 01:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PanFry
    Hello all,

I am considering taking a position with my company out with you guys in Bend. I am trying to gather necessary info pertinent info my lifestyle:

• Cool People
    • Mountain Bikers
    • Good Food
    • Good Weather (Fair amount of Sun)
      • Beautiful, down to earth Women

Please feel free to comment/provide info on any and all listed bullet points. Also, if anything additional comes to mind I would certainly more than appreciate your viewpoints/thoughts/opinions.

P.S.> I have a 110lb. Chocolate Lab named Marley so let me know how dog friendly the city/trails are as I try to take him everywhere with me. Also, I ride a rigid One9 by Niner if that helps at all.

Thanks again, J
    Justin,

I don't live there, but turned down a job there a little over a year ago.... wish I hadn't every day since. Moving there from Atl, I don't think you're going to be too happy with housing prices. It gets a little cooler there in the winter than in Atl. People in Bend will be way cooler than ATL, that is one place I lived and will never go back hated most of the peeps there. Biking will be on par with N. GA mountains & Western NC from what I'm told, but much more scenic from what I've seen. WF is a good company, hope there is a big promotion involved to help with the increased cost of living.

mtbr member
    • Cool People - Yes
    • Mountain Bikers - Tons, & mostly cool
    • Good Food - World class restaraunts & 5 Brewerys, you may never cook again.
    • Good Weather (Fair amount of Sun) - not bad, cold now, take up a winter sport & you are set!! (Bachelor is a 25-35 minute drive)
    • Beautiful, down to earth Women - You are set

P.S.> I have a 110lb. Chocolate Lab named Marley so let me know how dog friendly the city/trails are as I try to take him everywhere with me. Also, I ride a rigid One9 by Niner if that helps at all. -
    Thanks again, J
    Very dog friendly, even on the trails, as long as he is trained!

The riding here is awesome, plus 1-2 hours away in any direction the riding is even more epic (Mackenzie, Umpqua, Oakridge, etc).Do it, you wont regret it!! Housing prices have dropped as well, Westside (close to downtown, closer to riding, nicer) can be had for around high 200's & up, Eastside can be had for high 180's & up, maybe cheaper?

Give it a shot!

Cheers,
    Stu

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob

...People in Bend will be way cooler than ATL, that is one place I lived and will never go back.....

Atlanta vs. Bend? C'mon.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    Atlanta vs. Bend? C'mon.
    My eyes! Damn that was wrong man, on so many levels.

MMMmmm Gabie! That almost made up for the previous shot.

mtbr member
    Single are you? There seems to be a lacking of single, well employed, mature men in this town (no offense to anyone, but this is what I hear from my frustrated single friends). So to answer that one - there are many attractive, single women in this town who not only ride, but could probably kick you butt on a bike (better get used to that if you move here).

Bend is an awesome town. The people who don't seem to like it are those who were dragged here by their married partner when they would rather be in a place that has more shopping malls, traffic and more things going on to get dressed up for. If you are into the outdoors, not just mountain biking, but winter outdoor things as well, well, you can't go wrong. But if you do want a big town, have eclectic interests in food and music, you might want to check the scene out before coming here.

But the people here in town are awesome. With an median age in the 30's, there are a lot of young, healthy, outgoing, outdoorsy people in this town all doing cool things. And about 50% of the population has dogs. In the summer there are a few strict leash laws to deal with around town, but when you are surrounded by forest service land, there are plenty of places to go.

One thing to note is the weather. It can be cold in town until June, or can warm up in April, it is always a guess. Depending on the snow fall dictates when all the higher alpine trails open, but there are still miles and miles of trails to ride until the snow is gone. But we do get more than our fare share of sun, it could just still be cold in the fall, winter or spring. But who wants to ride on a hot day anyways??
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

My blabber

I work in the Hood River area; well, across the river in Klickitat County. Anyway, world class recreation in most outdoor sports. A blast of a place. However, housing is expensive and the winter is tough unless you have the time to get to Mt. Hood to go skiing. I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. It is 24 degrees here in Goldendale, in eastern Klickitat County, right now. Burr! So, is it a paradise? Yes and no! It is for about 8 months and pretty boring for 4 months. Bend is similar, unless again, you can get to Bachelor to ski (assuming you like to ski). The biking is crap this time of year.

Here is the end of the story: I love it out here! It is gorgeous.

Jaybo

PS check housing prices. They were terrible a year or so again. Redmond seems better. Oh, and the libs hate it when I write this, but the taxes in Oregon absolutely suck tail.

Tree Hugger
    Simple fact checking would reveal that Oregon ranked 36th in terms of average taxpayer's total state and local tax burden. Georigia is ranked 31. That means Oregon is 13th cheapest state tax-wise. We have no sales tax, so our income tax and property taxes are slightly higher than average to balance it out, but you still end up better off.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...005/index.html

Another survey shows Oregon is even better, ranked 41st in total tax burden (9th cheapest state in the US), just behind GA. This survey covers more tax data, and may be more representative of the true tax burden for the average citizen.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...er-capita.html

Winter MTB in Bend is limited, due to the copious snow they get in the Cascades (awesome skiing and snowboarding!!) but here in the Willamette Valley, we ride year round, light or dark, dry or wet. Don't be afraid of a few sprinkles! Our mud is nowhere near as bad as Red Georgia Clay ( I grew up in ATL) and it rarely rains hard, most times it's a light sprinkle, or a mist.

Facts are your friend, unless you love to hate.

Sasquatch

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I work in the Hood River area; well, across the river in Klickitat County. Anyway, world class recreation in most outdoor sports. A blast of a place. However, housing is expensive and the winter is tough unless you have the time to get to Mt. Hood to go skiing. I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. It is 24 degrees here in Goldendale, in eastern Klickitat County, right now. Burr! So, is it a paradise? Yes and no! It is for about 8 months and pretty boring for 4 months. Bend is similar, unless again, you can get to Bachelor to ski (assuming you like to ski). The biking is crap this time of year.

Here is the end of the story: I love it out here! It is gorgeous.

Jaybo

PS check housing prices. They were terrible a year or so again. Redmond seems better. Oh, and the libs hate it when I write this, but the taxes in Oregon absolutely suck tail.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Check this out

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Simple fact checking would reveal that Oregon ranked 36th in terms of average taxpayer's total state and local tax burden. Georigia is ranked 31. That means Oregon is 13th cheapest state tax-wise. We have no sales tax, so our income tax and property taxes are slightly higher than average to balance it out, but you still end up better off.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...005/index.html

Another survey shows Oregon is even better, ranked 41st in total tax burden (9th cheapest state in the US), just behind GA. This survey covers more tax data, and may be more representative of the true tax burden for the average citizen.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...er-capita.html

Winter MTB in Bend is limited, due to the copious snow they get in the Cascades (awesome skiing and snowboarding!!) but here in the Willamette Valley, we ride year round, light or dark, dry or wet. Don't be afraid of a few sprinkles! Our mud is nowhere near as bad as Red Georgia Clay ( I grew up in ATL) and it rarely rains hard, most times it's a light sprinkle, or a mist.

Facts are your friend, unless you love to hate.

Sasquatch
    Potland, specifically Portland, is tax hell: http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...005/index.html

Oregon is a nice place. Bend is wonderful but INCREDIBLY expensive. It is cold for a solid 5 months a year. Nonetheless, I think one of the best places in the NW to live. A real gem. The sun is awesome and I love the desert.

PDX just got over 2" of rain in one flipping day. Hmm. A light drizzle? Come on! Now, PDX only get 37" of rain a year, so you are right that such hard rain is uncommon, but is a chilly bugger for a long time--some might even say miserable.

I don't like riding in 35 and raining weather. It sucks! I know, how wimpy, but that is my deal. It really sucks riding in the the cold rain. I can find other activities to do in that kind of weather. I will lift weights, or other more enjoyable nasty, cold and rainy days.

Jaybo
    Last edited by Jaybo; 12-11-2007 at 06:19 PM.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Never a shortage of negative energy coming from your direction. Why is that?

If you can name a large and desirable city on the west coast that has a low cost of living then let's hear it.

Anyways, glad to hear you found a place to live that you enjoy.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Not being negative! Just keeping her real

Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    Never a shortage of negative energy coming from your direction. Why is that?

If you can name a large and desirable city on the west coast that has a low cost of living then let's hear it.

Anyways, glad to hear you found a place to live that you enjoy.
    If the guy is considering a move to Oregon, he should have the facts and not some water downed version from a Polyanna polly. It is a great place to live but a guy should enter our world with their eyes open. Atlanta may suck but I heard the weather yesterday and it was 80 degrees. Not bad!

You got a good point about the left coast being expensive, but comparing it to Seattle, San Fran, LA, and San Diego is a bit misguided. All STUPID crazy places to live!

The Gorge is a wonderful place to live but hard to find a job unless you come with one.

Jaybo

mtbr member

Things are looking GREAT!

So I just spoke with my potential boss to be today and things went really well. A true testament of the laid back, intelligent and just plain cool people that inhabit your beautiful town/city. If you all are willing I would still love some further info... Such as the following: I understand the weather is cold and dreary for roughly 4mos. but I am still committed to commuting to work on a bike (2x1 Surly Cross Check). That being said I have 2 questions. First, WHAT AREA TO LIVE? As part of a personal cleansing I am only moving myself, the dog (Marley) and whatever gear, clothes, bikes and cookware I can fit into my FJ Cruiser. I am interested in renting a room preferably in a house with 1 or more people that are for obvious reasons "dog friendly". Assuming I get the job I will be stationed @ the Wild Oats Natural Market (Whole Foods) and I am looking for something within roughly (give or take) a 5 mile radius. I am interested in being somewhat close to the city for social reasons and I definitely want to be near some kick-ass riding which I know you have plenty. I also need to know if studded snow/ice tires are in need or if I will be fine with some All-Terrains. In addition if you all have any pics of areas both riding, city or other you would like to share I would certainly appreciate them. I am getting super pumped about my possible new adventure and major life change (that I am long overdue for!). I am really excited about the prospect of living amongst "real" , like-minded, active and all around cool people with good positive energy. Furthermore, if any of you fine people have any leads on any cool rooms for rent let me know as the hunt has begun. In closing I want all of you to know that I really appreciate all of the thought and effort you have put into this thread. Hopefully, I will be able to personally thank some of you when I am out there shredding the streets and trails of your city and cooking up a storm.

Many Thanks and Much Love, Justin (PanFry)

meatier showers
    Glad the whining didn't drive you away.

You can see Oregon highway cams here. Click the Bend rectangle and then see what's on the ground for yourself.

Welcome.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member

nope

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Glad the whining didn't drive you away.

You can see Oregon highway cams here. Click the Bend rectangle and then see what's on the ground for yourself.

Welcome.

--Sparty

I am a cyclist... I rather enjoy suffering.

Thanks for the pic link, PF

mtbr member
    You will be working on the North East side of bend off hwy 20, so I would start my search somehwhere near that area. Although, I like the West side area which is closer to downtown & the trails, you are always pretty much near trails no matter where you live ; ) If you moved near downtown, your commute would be about 5 miles, I'm guessing.

I would start here for rooms to rent - http://bend.craigslist.org/roo/, plus check out bendbulletin.com for more choices.

As for commuting, my friend (a girl) commutes daily, no matter the weather (she is somewhat crazy, but that's another story, and she even owns a nice car), I believe she runs studs on the extreme days, but usually regular XC tires. The East side also has the best winter riding spot in Bend IMO, which is Horse Ridge off the 20, about 7-8 miles out of town. It generally stays snow free but rides well even when there is snow, as it doesn't freeze. That is my weekend riding area when I'm not road tripping to Oakridge ; )

Cheers!

Toby Wong?

Wild Oats?

Well, Wild Oats is on the East side of town. All the good riding is on the West side. The main road to Wild Oats, Hwy. 20, is not the most bike friendly road in town, but I'm sure you could find an alternate route. GoogleEarth has it at roughly 6.4 miles of road riding.

I live on the westside and love it. It's close to town, close to trails, close to the mountains, and maybe a bit more yuppiefied than the eastside. The eastside is less expensive as far as rent, but also has some nice neighborhoods.

Can't lose, that's my opinion.
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

mtbr member

Nice!

I cannot wait; This is going to be the best.

Many Thanks again, PF

mtbr member
    I live on the East side and am always dreaming of moving to the West. We bought our house when we were still very new to town and did not understand that while the rest of our friends bike and walk to downtown or even the trails in the summer, we still get to drive unless we want to deal with busy, car-full roads. I would recommend Mid-Town for you or the Westside. Mid-Town is the area East of 3rd ave (the main street that goes North/South through town) for the next four or five blocks south on Olny. When you are looking at rentals, just ask if they are Mid-Town or West.
    And it is always very exciting to read the enthusiasm about people coming to this town. I have lived in some cool places and people get more excited about this town than I have ever seen, which is pretty neat!
    And my guess about the tires and such, just get here and you will work it all out...
    Safe Travels!!
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!

Most Delicious
    One other data point with your housing search is that the Official Off-Leash Dog Park is pretty close to Wild Oats, so if your dog is into dog parks, you might like living close to both your work and the park. The East side has a lot of flipper-bait subdivision housing, so you might find some good rental deals over there.

mtbr member

Thanks a TON!

Guys & Gals,

I really appreciate it. Please keep it coming as the excitement is really building.

Take Care, PF

Toby Wong?
    Ohhhhh, geeez. Oh man. I hate to say it, but I'm the bearer of bad news....buuuut....

Bend is closed.

Seriously. They blocked off Hwy 97 and Hwy 20. It's just plain filled-up.

Soooooooo sorry. Gosh, that's got to be a real bummer.

Please check back later.

Thanks, have a great day!

mtbr member

Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    Ohhhhh, geeez. Oh man. I hate to say it, but I'm the bearer of bad news....buuuut....

Bend is closed.

Please check back later.

If you guys & gals out there are interested in really tasty Natural & Organic Foods; trust me you want me in your town. I got's mad crazy soul in the kitchen! Believe that. Not too crappy on the bike either... Hey, (and hopefully this won't seem traitor-ish) do you guys/gals have good road rides as well? I am certain that you do; I would just like to hear more about them.

Thanks again (Wise-A$$), PF

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix

Bend is closed.

Please check back later.

The sad reality is that the City of Bend has plenty of room to grow on the north side of town, and with the ability to expand the UGB, today's boundaries will not be the limits of the sprawl.

There's a reason Bend is considered the SoCal of Oregon.

http://www.ci.bend.or.us/depts/commu...p_Plan_MAP.pdf
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Toby Wong?
    I'm only joshing ya, mang.

and Sparty, it might be growing, but at least it's sunny!

There are some great road rides.....I like going out Shevlin Park, then depending on desired distance linking it up with loops in Tumalo, then heading back home via OB Riley. Of course, you could ride up Skyliners or to Mt. B, but who the heck can stand all that uni-directional riding?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by PanFry
    If you guys & gals out there are interested in really tasty Natural & Organic Foods; trust me you want me in your town. I got's mad crazy soul in the kitchen! Believe that. Not too crappy on the bike either... Hey, (and hopefully this won't seem traitor-ish) do you guys/gals have good road rides as well? I am certain that you do; I would just like to hear more about them.

Thanks again (Wise-A$$), PF
    Be aware that Bend had local natural food stores long before Wild Oats came to town.

(I am rather anti-WO since they screwed Eugene by buying one (two locations) of our better local stores, increased the prices, then closed it and left town.)
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast