I'm a "she".

Middle Fork Trail from Timpanogas?

I did a search on Middle Fork by title, but couldn't find the information I needed. Also checked the Mtn Mercantile trail condition site, but I found it disconcerting that the section from Timpanogas to Paddy's Valley is not listed. So, I've got a couple of questions for you locals:
    1. How is the section from Timpanogas to Paddy's? Is it worth riding? How bad is the "Big Swamp"?
    2. We made some friends who offered to shuttle us up to ride MFT in its entirety. The big Oakridge Trailmap we have shows that Hwy 21 becomes FR 2153 and the pavement ends at one point. Is the road open all the way to that point? Is FR 353 (that goes almost to Timpanogas Lake) pretty easy to pedal or drive?

We are from California and had great fun riding the entire Alpine Trail today. (I was bummed that I missed the turn off to Tire Mtn because we were planning an out and back on that trail.) I hope tomorrow's MFT adventure will keep the thrill going.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You might have better luck not saying your from California

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakkarro
    You might have better luck not saying your from California
    *sigh* I hope not everybody thinks that way. I mainly just wanted to point out that we are from out of town and are super thrilled by what Oakridge has to offer. The last thing I expect is someone would judge a person based on where he/she is from. Don't we all enjoy mountain biking?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I would anwser but haven't ridden through Paddy's Valley after the fire last year, I do believe it is clear though. From Paddy's up to the lake to Timpangos has a constant grade and is done well as an out and back. I enjoy the upper Middle Fork as an out and back by parking at Paddy's riding up towards the lakes and doing a loop or out and back to a smaller lake.

Making fat cool since '71
    You can drive any car to the end (Timp Lake trail head). The trail is clear, stem to stern. It's techy and steep many spots between Timp and Paddy's. Is that section worth it? It's my fave section of MF. Ride up to Timp...rail back down and hit the whole of the MF. That's a good ride!

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    You can drive any car to the end (Timp Lake trail head). The trail is clear, stem to stern. It's techy and steep many spots between Timp and Paddy's. Is that section worth it? It's my fave section of MF. Ride up to Timp...rail back down and hit the whole of the MF. That's a good ride!

Brock...
    My favorite part, too. Think you meant to write "...ride up to Indigo and back down..."
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    but on the way up there if you take the road to summit lake IT IS PRIMITIVE all the way. i would not take a car, its fun to bike and there are tons of lakes up there. All of them with trails to bike.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    My favorite part, too. Think you meant to write "...ride up to Indigo and back down..."
    Yes...yes indeed. Thanks for the catch ShiggaTon...Lesson learned: don't tickle your two year old and type at the same time.

Regarding Summit, once you turn left to go to Summit (instead of right towards Timp) it *is* primitive, but we've gotten our Mazda 6 wagon in there when it's dry.

Brock...

Out spokin'
    I rode 100% of the MFT plus the out-'n-back to Indigo Lake less than 3 weeks ago. It is awesome. As Klyde & shig said, the Timp to Paddy's section is the most entertaining, but the whole experince simply roolz. Do NOT skip the out-'n-back to Indigo Lake. It's only 2 miles each way, but during the descent from Indigo to Timp, you'll wish it was 20 miles long.

--sParty

P.S. We joke about Cali folk a bit here, but it's all in jest. Don't take Jakkarro seriously unless he's serious, and if he is indeed serious, I'll cheerfully hold him while you hit him.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

I'm a "she".
    Hi all, thanks so much for all the helpful information. I'm psyched to hear that the entire MFT is fun to ride and we can even extend the fun by going out to Indigo! We thank you all GOATS and Oakridge riders who made the trails here so awesome!

I'm a "she".
    I didn't know about the ride to Indigo Lake until this thread, and it turned out to be a very sweet section both ways. So, thanks again!

Although this is my first time riding MFT, my assessment is the trail condition right now is probably as good as it gets. We threw in the Moon Point loop. That 10 miles of climbing is mind numbing, butt numbing, and monotonic. The remaining 45 miles on the ride is all good. The bottom part of MFT is fast, but it sure seems to go on forever. A great ride over all!

Indigo Lake

View from Moon Point

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/46425778'></iframe>

Singletrack Addict
    Wow. Nice work, that's one big day.

...mind numbing...is the perfect description of the Moon Pt. climb. Nice ride!

Brock...

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm
    I didn't know about the ride to Indigo Lake until this thread, and it turned out to be a very sweet section both ways. So, thanks again!

Although this is my first time riding MFT, my assessment is the trail condition right now is probably as good as it gets. We threw in the Moon Point loop. That 10 miles of climbing is mind numbing, butt numbing, and monotonic. The remaining 45 miles on the ride is all good. The bottom part of MFT is fast, but it sure seems to go on forever. A great ride over all!

Indigo Lake
    View from Moon Point
    <iframe src="http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/46425778" frameborder="0" height="548" width="465"></iframe>
    Wow, you did a big, big thing.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Wow, you did a big, big thing.

--sParty
    No crap. Moon Point is my next Oakridge ride and I wasn't relishing the thought of the climb, but to throw it in the middle of MF....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That sounds like my kind of day...nice trek.Is Sawtooth rollin' now?
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

I'm a "she".
    If I knew which section Sawtooth is, I would tell you. Over all, I think the section right above Sacandaga Campground has the most disruptions in flow. But I suspect people who are familiar with all the creek crossings should be able to ride more of those than we did.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm
    If I knew which section Sawtooth is, I would tell you. Over all, I think the section right above Sacandaga Campground has the most disruptions in flow. But I suspect people who are familiar with all the creek crossings should be able to ride more of those than we did.
    You did not ride Sawtooth. Different trail. Sawtooth Mountain is that big rock on the far shore of Indigo Lake. More fun trails in that direction.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0