mtbr member

Middle Fork Mayhem

ML and I headed up to Middle Fork on Saturday to check it out, our goal ride from the Sand Prarie up until we wanted and turn around.

It wasn't long before we were hopping over logs, riding through creeks, and trying to find the trail.

We made it just shy of the Butchner Knife Creek, maybe 1/4 mile, before deciding we were both cold and wet and we still had to get over all that crap to get back to the cars.

We actually hit the road for about 1 mile to avoid one of the washed out bridges and major blow down section.

Not sure what it is like above Butcher Knife Creek but if it is anything like the lower section we have our work cut out for us this spring.

Pic's in order.
    On the drive up, this was 1 of about 2 dozen mudslides.
    A lot of water in the river, 1 & 2
    Trail went this way, and it wasn't really raining that hard.
    Lauri found out it was about BB Deep for me
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

mtbr member

Blow Down

I have been asked before, what is blow down, I always respond with You're not from around these parts are ya' son.

Pic's in order....

Looking up trail, it was like this for about 300 yards
    The tree that did the damage, crossed the trail 3 places
    It didn't have much choice as the river claimed it's footing
    Bank used to be out another 20 feet &
    RV's like camping here in the summer, at least used to.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

mtbr member
    Yep, we got a lot of work come spring. Who needs a gym?

mtbr member

Just about

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Wow, tough conditions. You didnt even make it to Butcherknife Creek? That's only 5 miles right? Im glad we chose to go South for a ride. I was hoping that you were exaggerating the amount of blowdown that we'll be facing this spring, but I think you just showed me the proof.
    Im not sure if yall had fun, but at least ya got a workout.

5 miles up to the road, it took us about 2 1/2 hours out and back, but we did some exploring up a gravel road as well. Climbing over all the trees and crossing the creeks took some time.

I've heard conflicting reports about different trails, I need to start making a list of what's down on what trail....
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Tree Hugger
    Wow, tough conditions. You didnt even make it to Butcherknife Creek? That's only 5 miles right? Im glad we chose to go South for a ride. I was hoping that you were exaggerating the amount of blowdown that we'll be facing this spring, but I think you just showed me the proof.
    Im not sure if yall had fun, but at least ya got a workout.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

High Speed Botanist

Damn....

Yikes, that's a rough area. Makes me wonder about the other 20+ miles of trail. At least most of us like doing trailwork and are ready to go. Myself and D should be able to give you some good info on a couple other local ones, not NEARLY as bad as that it sounds like. Maybe we'll want to do some explorin' up higher too. Nice pics amidst the debris though.

mtbr member

An Army of Chainsaws

Wanna call Stihl and get us a group discount on some big saws for spring?

I just got a second hand brush cutter but it looks like it'll be a chainsaw year.

mtbr member

lookin better now,but still.....

more pics from tues ,weds things got better.tues i went up w/ my gf and we did some exploring lots of clearing trail and crossing creeks.......amazingly most of the trail is in gr8 condition w/a few exceptions....weds I figured a good route to keep your feet dry.....park 2 pull offs past sand prarie on rght.....In order to get to the trail you will have to cross crk.ankle deep &6ft across(was a bridge, no more)after that you will find the tree or trees that are in coonskins pics walk around and find trail....Ok now fur the fun stuff the trail is clear for next 3or so mi. ..make sure to exit trail at last camp spot before butcher knife crk.if you stay on trail here you will definitly get your feet wet,there are two pretty large crk. crossings(avoid))take road 1MI or so to butcher kn. bridge go over and find trail on left the trail is in really good cond. believe it or not.....for another 3or so mi.w/only 1 crk.crossing that you have to walk across a fallen tree to cross(fun)...right before you get to campers flat the trail starts getting dicey again and there are some trees down this is where I turned around....I got about 17mi. on this up and back and reccomend doin this ride before the rain comes back..hope my pics come out ..piece out yall the gooch
    [SIZE=4]I'd rather be mountainbiking. [/SIZE]

mtbr member

You must have been

Quote Originally Posted by dagooch8
    more pics from tues ,weds things got better.tues i went up w/ my gf and we did some exploring lots of clearing trail and crossing creeks.......amazingly most of the trail is in gr8 condition w/a few exceptions....weds I figured a good route to keep your feet dry.....park 2 pull offs past sand prarie on rght.....In order to get to the trail you will have to cross crk.ankle deep &6ft across(was a bridge, no more)after that you will find the tree or trees that are in coonskins pics walk around and find trail....Ok now fur the fun stuff the trail is clear for next 3or so mi. ..make sure to exit trail at last camp spot before butcher knife crk.if you stay on trail here you will definitly get your feet wet,there are two pretty large crk. crossings(avoid))take road 1MI or so to butcher kn. bridge go over and find trail on left the trail is in really good cond. believe it or not.....for another 3or so mi.w/only 1 crk.crossing that you have to walk across a fallen tree to cross(fun)...right before you get to campers flat the trail starts getting dicey again and there are some trees down this is where I turned around....I got about 17mi. on this up and back and reccomend doin this ride before the rain comes back..hope my pics come out ..piece out yall the gooch

On a different trail of course it was sleeting down on us and we were wet and cold, climbing over trees wading through rivers, etc.....

But it sounds like the 2nd section of trail might be in better shape, how far up did you get, did you cross the long bridge? after the switch back climb & Descent?

Thanks, Richard
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

mtbr member

serious man....

Quote Originally Posted by General Coonskins
    On a different trail of course it was sleeting down on us and we were wet and cold, climbing over trees wading through rivers, etc.....

But it sounds like the 2nd section of trail might be in better shape, how far up did you get, did you cross the long bridge? after the switch back climb & Descent?

Thanks, Richard
    hey richard, I can't believe that we're talkin' bout the same trail,but we r...but serious,if you avoid the very bottom below buck crk.to s. prarie(no good)...I parked @ second turn out past s.prarie...by the way the first day was a scout mission.between here and butcher knife i would only recomend getting off the trail at last camp spot before the bridge...there are two very gnarly crk. crossings(knee deep)....ride the road from here to the bridge....from the bridge it was pretty nice all the way past the long bridge and the second set of switchbacks after the bridgebut as you get close to campers flat every thing gets dicey again(wash outs ,downed giants)this is where I turned around....It is way dryer now than in your pics and I believe the crks, r dropping.better ride it soon ,hell I would join ya! the gooch
    [SIZE=4]I'd rather be mountainbiking. [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sunday Gooch, Sunday!

Flaps