mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Middle Fork -- Forest Road 21 closed

Just a heads up in case anyone is thinking of heading out to ride the Middle Fork trail (or Moon Point, Larison etc), that the Tumblebug fire has resulted in the closure of Forest Road 21. The fire has grown to 5,000+ acres and I'm imagining that Summit and Timpanagos Lakes could also be pretty smoky right now. Waldo is not that far either and the smoke may even have drifted up there.

From todays update on inciweb.org:

"Due to extreme fire behavior and rapid fire growth, the closure area has been extended significantly to provide for public safety. The 21 and 23 roads will both be closed at their junction near Highway 58 in order to prevent recreationists from inadvertently getting in front of the fire."
    "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."

The Brutally Handsome
    I hope it doesn't burn up the middle fork trail. It was on my list of trails to do this fall. Did you see on the inciweb site last evening they were saying 7000+ acres!

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler
    I hope it doesn't burn up the middle fork trail. It was on my list of trails to do this fall. Did you see on the inciweb site last evening they were saying 7000+ acres!

Update from Bob on the DOD board. It doesn't sound good.....

The fire appears to be approaching close to Sacandaga as it spreads N and W, if I read the maps correctly. One troubling line: “… and also make progress in preparing Road 21 to stand as a line against the northern spread of the fire.” Among the equipment listed fighting the fire is 9 Dozers. I’m afraid the drive is going to look a lot different next time we get up there. They have been putting out a lot of embers falling on the N side of 21. If it jumps 21, it looks like Moon Point trail is right in the path.

Main entry: http://inciweb.org/incident/1894/

Latest status: http://inciweb.org/incident/article/9602/
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 09-24-2009 at 03:08 PM.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

I was camped at Timpanogas until Tuesday/22nd afternoon (having never left after arriving for the Sawtooth Struggle the 11th). Smoky days at Timpanogas were Wednesday/16th and Saturday/19th; even rode down the MF to just beyond Paddy's Valley on Wednesday. I left Timpanogas because of the increase in the fire's size (and that the winds had been very strong since Sunday evening). Didn't hurt that the forest service guy who came on a campground garbage/bathroom run that morning said he was listening for instructions to ask campers to leave but it hadn't come thru and he made sure I knew the routes out.

Figured it looked better northward from what I could tell so moved over to Waldo (via Summit/Crescent route). Waldo got very smoky by late morning yesterday, so I bugged out of there and the smoke was present all the way to Bend via Cascade Lakes. Smoky in Bend by last night, not so bad today though it looks smoky higher up.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

The Brutally Handsome
    I work on the ODF fire crew in the summer but I had to quit for school just last week. My crew is up there and they said that it jumped the 21 onto state land, so it's safe to say that at least part, if not most of the upper section of the trail is burned. Will probably be pretty snaggy for the next couple decades unless they are dumping a lot of trees.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Oakridge fire and smoke report

The Forest service has been dropping information reports to us at the Willamette mountain mercantile on a daily basis.From what I can tell by the maps and written info it looks like the fire has gotten onto the middle fork trail about 1 mile nw of paddy's valley bridge and down river to the chuckle springs area. Today's acreage of the fire is 9300 acres! Wow! Moon point is in danger but I don't think it has been touched by fire yet.There are about 1200 people out fighting fire and there has been a lot of heavy equipment going out to the fire.The plan is to box the fire somehow.As far as smoke goes from what I can see out in front of the shop there is definately alot of smoke hugging the cascades and blowing north.Oakridge and west of town looks reasonably clear.

Cheers
    D

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That's devastating news. Such a beautiful section of the MFT will never be the same again...
    "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."

The Brutally Handsome
    It won't be the same but in a few years it will be pretty in its own way with the new growth that will be popping up. All part of the forest life cycle: look at the way Waldo lake area is recovering!