mtbr member

Metolius-Windigo direction and Snowpack?

Hey everyone, quick question for you regarding TR99...Planning on doing a 2 day (one night) bikepack trip the last weekend in April. Our thought was to get a ride out of bend up to sisters, then ride 99 back to bend over the 2 days setting up camp in the 3 creek area...

Been doing some reading and have been getting conflicting reports on riding the trail that way. Can anyone weigh in on experiences?

Also any guesses on what snowpack will look like the last weekend of april first may? Thanks!

Metolius-Windigo direction and Snowpack?-qlfi8fv.png

Nat
    mtbr member
    My bet is that there will still be several feet of snow up on top. Mt. Bachelor currently has 150" of snow at mid-mountain, which I think is similar elevation to the top of 99.

I rode up to 99 from Sisters three days ago and there was still a lot of blowdown at the north end.

I rode 99 from Bachelor to Sisters several years ago and my memory tells me that the top four or five miles was deep sand with a slight descent heading from south to north.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback, so headed from north to south...would it even be fun? Is the descent from three creek headed towards bend worth it?

The sand comments have me worried that this isn't the best route at all.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Well, it would be adventurous...

Looking at your map the descent into Bend would be on Mrazek trail, which is fun. The climb up to Three Creeks on 99 is steeper, rockier, more primitive, and I feel is more fun of a descent than Mrazek. In other words, I'd choose to ride it south-to-north.

However, the guy with whom I rode it and I agreed that we didn't feel the need to ever do it again. One-and-done. It's more of a horseback route.

Mt. Bachelor to Sisters, Oregon ride report

If you're on a fat bike maybe the sand wouldn't be as much of a pain. My old ride report above says it was more like seven miles of sand. We had skinny 2.1" tires back then.

An alternative would be to ride the FS370 road across the top. It gets dusty but it's very scenic. Even though it's a road it'd be a nice ride. You could pedal side-by-side, talking about life and stuff...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    An alternative would be to ride the FS370 road across the top. It gets dusty but it's very scenic. Even though it's a road it'd be a nice ride. You could pedal side-by-side, talking about life and stuff...
    I was looking at that and given the time of year that might be a good option. Correct my map reading if I am wrong, but that would work either way you ride it correct? The topography there looks like it is somewhat flat replacing the sandy area coming out of three creeks? The reason we are looking to ride north to south is that one of us just bought a place in bend so we would essentially be riding home.

Is that climb from sisters to three creek horrible or anything? Would it make for a good day ride to setup camp that night?

We will def not be on fatbikes so deep sandy terrain isnt optimal, 2.3's here...Thanks again for your input.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Personally I'd rather ride FS370 over that top section than take the singletrack (because of the sand) at any time of the year but late April is only three weeks away and I think your main obstacle will be deep snow.

The climb up 99 is not horrible, it's actually pretty nice. It's just steeper and somewhat loose -- think lowest 1-3 gears for ten miles.

Metolius-Windigo direction and Snowpack?-trail-99.jpg

It would make a great day ride. Up top FS370 is generally flat but it weaves up, down, back, forth like most FS roads.

Again, you should be looking at snow depth before you embark.

mtbr member
    That's great feedback, thanks for you your help. Snowpack will def be something we will keep an eye on...

mtbr member
    FWIW - I rode Mrazek to it's high point last night. Snow becomes an issue at about 5200 feet (where I turned around). I believe that the MW trail (99) gets as high as 5700'. Add to this that there will be deadfall above where folks have not been riding. Right now all of Peterson Ridge is great and most of the connector to MW is good to go as well. It's the top 500-700' that is uncertain right now.

The MW trail is primarily a horse trail. Folks ride it more in some sections (near Bachelor) than others (the part you mention). That section will certainly be more of an adventure ride and less of a flowy singletrack. If you're good with that it can be entertaining. If you want singletrack on par with Pete Ridge/Phils then you'll hate it. I ride 27+ tires on most of our stuff and it helps a ton in the sand. Even the trails near Horse Butte and Phils are starting to get dry and sandy now.
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet