mtbr member

Meetings set on Coyote Wall area (Syncline)

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps...711130341/1034
    Meetings set on Coyote Wall area
    Public participation in the planning of a trail system in the Coyote Wall (Syncline) area and the Catherine Creek area, both on the Washington side of the Columbia Gorge, will start with a 6 p.m. meeting Wednesday at the Pioneer Center in White Salmon, Wash.
    It will be the first of a series of three meetings to collaboratively work with stakeholders to formalize a trail system. Coyote Wall is a rising columnar basalt ridge on the Washington side of the Gorge that can best be seen from near Mosier on the Oregon side. Catherine Creek is a tributary of the Klickitat River.
    The Forest Service has acquired several thousand acres of land since 1987 in the area of Burdoin Mountain, Coyote Wall and Catherine Creek and the area has become a popular destination for mountain bikers and hikers.
    The trails are on a mix of public and private lands, and some unofficial trails are showing signs of erosion, thus impacting adjacent natural and cultural resources.
    "The purpose of these collaborative meetings is to develop a proposed non-motorized trail system that would recognize and address current uses, respect private property, provide a variety of recreation experiences, protect adjacent sensitive resources, be sustainable and minimize resource damage," said Dan Harkenrider, area manager for the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area.
    Subsequent meetings will be held on Nov. 20 and Dec. 12 at the Pioneer Community Center. For information contact Stan Hinatsu, recreation program manager for the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, at (541) 308-1708 or shinatsu@fs.fed.us.
    Start off slow & taper off from there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I ride in that area often, as the trails tend to be in better early season shape than most others close to the Portland area (especially Coyote/Syncline/Little Moab). I am working and can't attend the Wednesday meeting - what are some (if there are any) of the initial ideas for a trail system out there? I have ridden most of the legal trails in the area but would of course love to see more, and would be willing to trek out there for a build day.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

A little worriesome

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBoneJr
    http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps...711130341/1034
    Meetings set on Coyote Wall area
    Public participation in the planning of a trail system in the Coyote Wall (Syncline) area and the Catherine Creek area, both on the Washington side of the Columbia Gorge, will start with a 6 p.m. meeting Wednesday at the Pioneer Center in White Salmon, Wash.
    It will be the first of a series of three meetings to collaboratively work with stakeholders to formalize a trail system. Coyote Wall is a rising columnar basalt ridge on the Washington side of the Gorge that can best be seen from near Mosier on the Oregon side. Catherine Creek is a tributary of the Klickitat River.
    The Forest Service has acquired several thousand acres of land since 1987 in the area of Burdoin Mountain, Coyote Wall and Catherine Creek and the area has become a popular destination for mountain bikers and hikers.
    The trails are on a mix of public and private lands, and some unofficial trails are showing signs of erosion, thus impacting adjacent natural and cultural resources.
    "The purpose of these collaborative meetings is to develop a proposed non-motorized trail system that would recognize and address current uses, respect private property, provide a variety of recreation experiences, protect adjacent sensitive resources, be sustainable and minimize resource damage," said Dan Harkenrider, area manager for the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area.
    Subsequent meetings will be held on Nov. 20 and Dec. 12 at the Pioneer Community Center. For information contact Stan Hinatsu, recreation program manager for the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, at (541) 308-1708 or shinatsu@fs.fed.us.
    I got off work and ran to the meeting. The meeting worries me a bit. There were a few pretty dogmatic folks who were land owners that were concerned about erosion, loose dogs, noise, idiots peeing on their property. Also, your spattering of environmentals who were concerned. Some of the concerns were very valid: downhillers parking and riding downhill making noise and eroding trails with disrespect for the land owners. There has been some erosion concerns on some trails; partically on the Jeep Trail, Hidden Canyon, and parts of Coyote. The reality is that as more people come to HR area there is going to be more trail pressure and more complaints. Hopefully, the Forest Service can do some stuff to keep the trails available for us. One funny part was a hunter saying he was worred about some bird on Hidden Canyon while he is shooting deer. Hmm.

Overall, a pretty good meeting but worriesome to me.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That worries me a bit too. Perhaps all the legal trails could be signed/marked, and official maps made, with the expressed understanding that any trail that is not signed is illegal and should not be ridden. To get legal trails closed due to erosion on illegal or unapproved ones pisses me off.
    I suppose I understand some of the concerns of the land owners, but look at areas like Post Canyon and Blackrock. When mtb'ers are "given" land/areas and act as stewards for those areas they tend to flourish. We have to respect the wishes of the landowners if we are to continue to enjoy those areas.
    As for concerns from the envionmentalists - are they legitimate concerns or are they just using 'erosion' as a veil to conceal the fact that they don't want to share? No offense to hunters, but my experience leads me to believe they aren't too concerned about the environment, let alone the safety of one particular breed of bird.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink
    That worries me a bit too. Perhaps all the legal trails could be signed/marked, and official maps made, with the expressed understanding that any trail that is not signed is illegal and should not be ridden. To get legal trails closed due to erosion on illegal or unapproved ones pisses me off.
    I suppose I understand some of the concerns of the land owners, but look at areas like Post Canyon and Blackrock. When mtb'ers are "given" land/areas and act as stewards for those areas they tend to flourish. We have to respect the wishes of the landowners if we are to continue to enjoy those areas.
    As for concerns from the envionmentalists - are they legitimate concerns or are they just using 'erosion' as a veil to conceal the fact that they don't want to share? No offense to hunters, but my experience leads me to believe they aren't too concerned about the environment, let alone the safety of one particular breed of bird.

My sediments exactly. I think the primary issue is a "territorial" thing between different users and non-mtb'ers don't particulary want bikes up there. If it wasn't for the family who owns the large pasture up top who are fine with bikers riding in the pasture on the trails if they just keep the gates shut and dogs out during cattle season, the other land owners and users would of shut bikes out of there completely. Unfortunately, it is like treading on fragile ground up there, hope we can keep the "legal" trails protected and thanks to CAMBA for keeping the trails open this long.

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink
    No offense to hunters, but my experience leads me to believe they aren't too concerned about the environment, let alone the safety of one particular breed of bird.

Just because someone hunts doesn't mean they don't care about animals or other species. Hunters and fisherman have a lot at stake when it comes to how sustainable is the harvest of wild game.

But if it's a sarcastic attempt to subvert the advancement of good ideals, eff em.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

This guy didn't give a hoot about any species except his own

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    Just because someone hunts doesn't mean they don't care about animals or other species. Hunters and fisherman have a lot at stake when it comes to how sustainable is the harvest of wild game.

But if it's a sarcastic attempt to subvert the advancement of good ideals, eff em.
    It is your typical attempt of closed minded people to dominate for their own purposes! The only people that should have a real beef are the landowners....because the hunters do zero trail maintenance and have thousands of acres to hunt in Klickitat County. I drive the county M-Th and it is the definition of rural. By the way, I have never seen this so called endangered species. I have ridden there tons and I have only seen a deer once, at night mind you. A friend of mine saw a gutted Coungar placed right on Coyote Trail. Nice! That said, most of the hunters are decent souls and we should avoid the area when they are up there for two weeks....in my humble opinion.

Jaybo

Always Breaking Stuff
    Just a reminder that the final(?) meeting is coming up Wed. Dec. 12th at 6 pm.
    Pioneer Center, White Salmon, behind the Post Office.

We need as many mountain bikers there as possible!

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/CoyoteWallPlanning.htm

-Z