Thread: Medford area

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Medford area

I have a good job opportunity in Medford, and have been looking at living/mountain biking in the rouge valley. I ride 2-3 days after work with road trips for longer rides on weekends, and have been able to ride 9-10 months out of the year. The quality of the biking is going a long ways in making my decision, and wondered if anyone had feedback on the local trails/riding season, and if there was any rock climbing in the area?
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    The Rogue Valley has scads of mountain biking--some of it arguably world class. I moved to Ashland just over a year ago and haven't scratched the surface of available trails.

Rather than re-hash everything , check out Steveinoregon's excellent post regarding Ashland, below. One thing I'll add is that in Medford itself, there is a small but decent trail network on Roxy Anne. There's also a plan in the works to expand the trail network there and possibly built a flow trail. Could be great.

New Riders in Ashland Area!

As far as rock climbing, it does exists. Your best bet is to contact the Climbing Gym in Phoenix and get their input.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    What company are you interviewing for? I just relocated here a couple months ago and I'm working for Harry & David.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Rock climbing - There are some easy access sport routes at Emigrant Lake and Greensprings near Ashland (routes are 5.7 - 5.11). There is some fun climbing around Roseburg but with limited access and long approaches. Castle Crags in Northern California has some cool long multi-pitch trad climbing but the approach is a couple hours.

Smith Rock is 3 1/2 hours away - fantastic climbing and you can mix in mountain biking around Bend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    thanks for the great info, seems like the rouge valley is stacked with mtn biking and some rock climbing on top of it. Homey, I am looking at a physical therapy position in eagle point

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    We have a great group ride on Wednesday nights in Jacksonville. John's Peak has tons of trails that are worth riding. As others have said Ashland has some great trails as does Talent and if you are up for a bit of a drive Applegate Lake, Lost Creek Lake, and Brown Mountain are a lot of fun, depending on your style.