Tree Hugger

Meatfoot's MRT meet in May

I had a great time riding MRT with Meatfoot and friends yesterday. We had a group of 9, with 2 hardcore riders doing a full out and back. The rest of us were content riding from above Clear Lake down to the Ranger Station. The weather was almost perfect, and we had only positive trail encounters with the hikers we saw. There was no snow, but there were half dozen trees down, and a few wet spots still. In a few weeks, it should be in great shape.

Here's a few of the pics I took before my memory card filled up. (I had old pictures on it that I forgot to delete) Too bad, because there was plenty of great scenery to capture.

Smudge goes big

Richard, Meatfoot, and HankHank in front of Clear Lake

Clear Lake

Sahalie Falls

trailside maintenance

JerryBoneJr races ahead

Zak is close behind

Smudge matches his suroundings

Biker75 enjoying some actual downhill

Meatfoot gets his mojo on

a cool little game trail I explored (on foot of course)

Hank hauls ass
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch

Here's a few of the pics I took

Zak takes a break

Koosah falls

General Coonskins cruises by

Blue Pool

lunch break

Meatfoot rests while Smudge dances

gratuitous greenery

JerryBoneJr finds his line

Coonskins looks serious

Daniel enjoying the views

A boy and his dog

Thanks to Meatfoot for planning and inspiring this gathering. I enjoyed meeting some new people, and riding with some old friends. It was a great kickoff to a long summer of riding.

Stay tuned for info on Oakridge Summer Ridefest in July, and click the link at the top of the page for MTBOregon, the best guided, catered, full service gathering on the best trails around.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Looks fun

I was looking forward to riding with you guys but my dog is sick...at least I thought she was due to cancer. Anyway, great pics. MRT has some tough technical sections...great ride.

Jaybo

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the pics Sasquatch. Big thanks to you and Coonskins for showing us around, taking the time to point out some of the interesting sights, and sharing some local knowledge. I had a great time and look forward to heading down there again sometime in the summer.

Props to the SSers (Coonskins, MeatFoot and Zach) for hammering the ride sans extra gears (not that the "simplicity" of SS prevented any mechanicals: ahem...Meat ) HUGE props to Bianca the uberhound for running that huge distance in one gear; FAST.

Thanks to everyone else for joining the ride. It's great to meet other fun-loving friendly people to ride with. I hope I see you all again soon.

Now, if only I had cleaned that log...

meatier showers

Good shots, as usual

Matt, nice pics; wish I coulda joined you guys but I was holed up all weekend in a cabin at Odell Lake, where we had some snow on the ground. Hiked anyway; the guys from work I went with don't bike so I didn't even bring mine.

=M=O=S=Q=U=I=T=O=S= They wuz out... It's a gonna be a bad year.

Looks like a lotta water going over the falls in your MRT pics. Thanks for posting. What a great trail. I'll be up there soon; hopefully you'll wanna go again.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Expert Pushing SSer
    Thanks Sas for the pics. I never turned my computer on yesterday to download photos and/or check posts.

Smudge - Thanks for duct taping me together for the ride. I forgot my socks AND gloves. Apparently, Smudge likes to pack spares for people that forget their own gear. Glad I had my front wheel, shoes, helmet, hydration system.......

Good riding with you all and meeting new people. Everyone, including Bianca (dogs are people too), hammered it up!

As for mechanicals, I was just looking for things to tinker with......yeah, that's it.

Cheers!
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    Good times had by all, including Bianca althought it took until about noon on Sunday for her to get out of bed

Looking forward to the next time and I need to find my camera so I can get some more pictures. Thanks for suggesting the ride and getting people to show up Meat Foot, it was fun showing everyone the secret spot's to stop and enjoy the scenery.

Richard
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Expert Pushing SSer

added info.

Quote Originally Posted by General Coonskins
    Thanks for suggesting the ride and getting people to show up Meat Foot, it was fun showing everyone the secret spot's to stop and enjoy the scenery.
    Anytime! Thanks for showing us around. Glad you were able to get your warm-up in.
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    What's this???? Zak without a fullface helmet?? Has the world's spin reversed?
    Good pics Matt. Looks like y'all had a good time. The crew I was with went out to do a portion of the CCP course, got all the way to Aid 3. There was snow on the trail about 50 yd from there. We took Rd 142 ot to Rd 1912 and then onto the Alpine Tr. Jedi section rocked, as usual! There are currently about 10-12 trees down on Tire Mtn. Winberry Divide is no flatter than the last time I was there, AArgh! Winberry Tie is a kicking descent though, since the trail work party cleared out the trees a few weeks ago.

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    What's this???? Zak without a fullface helmet?? Has the world's spin reversed?.
    Too funny! I didnt pick up on that yesterday, and actually was looking at the pics last night thinking that Zak cut his hair because he looks different in the pictures, but of course it's cause this was the first time ive seen him without a full face helmet on.
    We missed you X-men yesterday, let's hope all this training is paying off for ya.

mtbr member

Great pics!

Great pics! Looking forward to riding this in a few weeks.

Singletrack Addict

Nice !

Looks like another great day on the McRT!
    I officially have the jones. Didn't make it down like I hoped earlier in the week; stuck closer to P-Town and rode Lewis River in WA.

This is a great shot, 'Squatch. I've done the McRT many, many times and then a couple years ago I stopped for awhile along this stretch and checked out the cliff down to the river. That there edge is over-hung pretty good and it's a nasty drop to the rocky river below. I've come into that section pretty hot before, but now it sort of spooks me and I gingerly make my way 'round the corner.

Thanks for the memories!

surf-ride-repeat
    Looking sweet, I've had an MRT Jones for a while now...

Tree Hugger
    Alright folks, i know there was at least one other camera out on the ride, Smudge, I saw you taking pictures. How about you post a few?

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Alright folks, i know there was at least one other camera out on the ride, Smudge, I saw you taking pictures. How about you post a few?
    Mine are crap. I was having issues with the shutter not working at all in some instances. I'll see what I can do.

Got one reasonable shot all day. Sasquatch setting up to snap a pic of General Coonskins while Bianca the wonderdog chases.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by smudge; 05-24-2006 at 11:16 AM.

Expert Pushing SSer
    I have not downloaded mine yet. Plus, I only snapped a couple cuz I was having too much fun watching my bloody elbows dry.
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    I had a great time riding MRT with Meatfoot and friends yesterday. We had a group of 9, with 2 hardcore riders doing a full out and back. The rest of us were content riding from above Clear Lake down to the Ranger Station. The weather was almost perfect, and we had only positive trail encounters with the hikers we saw. There was no snow, but there were half dozen trees down, and a few wet spots still. In a few weeks, it should be in great shape.

Here's a few of the pics I took before my memory card filled up. (I had old pictures on it that I forgot to delete) Too bad, because there was plenty of great scenery to capture.

Smudge goes big
    Hey, did Smudge make it up and over this log? I broke my hand trying that move 2 years ago, haven't had the b@lls to try it again. I did however finish the entire length of the trail with a broken hand.
    Last edited by tberg; 05-25-2006 at 01:20 PM.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tberg
    Hey, did Smudge make it up and over this log? I broke my hand trying that move 2 years ago, haven't had the b@lls to try it again. I did however finish the entire length of the trail with a broken hand.
    I never made it and was hugely disappointed, but I have a long list of excuses as to why wanna hear em? OK

If I had dropped the fork all the way down, my CG would have been a little lower and more forward when the front wheel was on the root. Maybe would have given me little better chance to clean it.

I approached it with practically no speed as I'm used to doing on a trials bike, with the geo differences between bikes, and the monkey motion of the Enduro, I just couldn't get a handle on maintaining or delivering the momentum to carry my through the move.

In hindsight, I wonder if it would be better to take the line on the left (as you're riding towards it) with a bit of speed and to use the slope of the root as a little kicker...bump it with the front and maintain momentum through.

I'm crazy out of shape and after the first attempt, I couldn't get my HR to drop back below 180 on any of the other attempts. I'm also completely out of practice and haven't really ridden anything technical since moving to Oregon about a year ago.

Is that enough? I think they're pretty darn good excuses If anyone wants to help me come up with more, I'll take 'em.

In all seriousness, I hate walking away from something like that in defeat, I end up beating myself up mentally for a few days afterwards. I would have stayed there until I nailed it a few times. I appreciate that everyone stuck around for a few minutes while I flailed.

How did you break your hand? Did you fall to the right? I broke my wrist on something very similar last December. Same type of 4+ foot drop on the right...didn't make it up the rock, tipped right, never came unclipped and all my weight went onto my hands. It was totally sweet.
    Last edited by smudge; 05-24-2006 at 12:06 PM.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    Is that enough? I think they're pretty darn good excuses If anyone wants to help me come up with more, I'll take 'em.
    You also had some guy borrow socks and gloves. That proly threw the mojo off. That guy also wimpers alot. The wimpering was heard and it threw the said mojo off (like a ruckus dring a golf tourny).

Grabbing at straws.
    Tuff Schist

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    You also had some guy borrow socks and gloves. That proly threw the mojo off. That guy also wimpers alot. The wimpering was heard and it threw the said mojo off (like a ruckus dring a golf tourny).

Grabbing at straws.
    I'll take that, anything to mask the truth. Shoulda made it but didn't. Drat.

mtbr member
    I never made it and was hugely disappointed, but I have a long list of excuses as to why wanna hear em? OK

If I had dropped the fork all the way down, my CG would have been a little lower and more forward when the front wheel was on the root. Maybe would have given me little better chance to clean it.

I approached it with practically no speed as I'm used to doing on a trials bike, with the geo differences between bikes, and the monkey motion of the Enduro, I just couldn't get a handle on maintaining or delivering the momentum to carry my through the move.

In hindsight, I wonder if it would be better to take the line on the left (as you're riding towards it) with a bit of speed and to use the slope of the root as a little kicker...bump it with the front and maintain momentum through.

I'm crazy out of shape and after the first attempt, I couldn't get my HR to drop back below 180 on any of the other attempts. I'm also completely out of practice and haven't really ridden anything technical since moving to Oregon about a year ago.

In all seriousness, I hate walking away from something like that in defeat, I end up beating myself up mentally for a few days afterwards. I would have stayed there until I nailed it a few times. I appreciate that everyone stuck around for a few minutes while I flailed.

How did you break your hand? Did you fall to the right? I broke my wrist on something very similar last December. Same type of 4+ foot drop on the right...didn't make it up the rock, tipped right, never came unclipped and all my weight went onto my hands. It was totally sweet.

WOW ! nice list of excuses.

I was able to get the front tire and part of the rear up on to the log before I lost all momentum. Spun the back tire, fell backwards to the right and almost ended up in the water. Not sure what actually broke my hand, but it was somewhere on the way to the shoreline with all the rocks.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    WOW ! nice list of excuses.

I was able to get the front tire and part of the rear up on to the log before I lost all momentum. Spun the back tire, fell backwards to the right and almost ended up in the water. Not sure what actually broke my hand, but it was somewhere on the way to the shoreline with all the rocks.
    Thanks, I worked pretty hard making them.

I've seen pics of your moab vacation so I guess it's safe to assume that you're fully mended. That's a good thing. I'd love to come down to your hood sometime and get the Phil's tour from you and Nat...so consider that I just invited myself

mtbr member
    Thanks, I worked pretty hard making them.

I've seen pics of your moab vacation so I guess it's safe to assume that you're fully mended. That's a good thing. I'd love to come down to your hood sometime and get the Phil's tour from you and Nat...so consider that I just invited myself
    I'd be more than happy to show you around the area (I'm sure Nat would be also). We'd propably take you somewhere other than Phils though, much better riding in the area.

In case you didn't see it on the Passion board, I'm on the mend again, but should be back to 100% in no time.
    Stem Passion [*ahem*]

Todd

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    I'd be more than happy to show you around the area (I'm sure Nat would be also). We'd propably take you somewhere other than Phils though, much better riding in the area.

In case you didn't see it on the Passion board, I'm on the mend again, but should be back to 100% in no time.
    Stem Passion [*ahem*]

Todd
    G'aaah! I saw that. Hope your change stayed in the purse. Ouch! Happy healing.

mtbr member
    Well we didn't make it due to a preride of some of the CCP course, but it looks like y'all had a good time. I'm a total wimp on that tech stuff. Must be the memory of six broken bones, all from coming off bikes. Let somebody else get the glory, or not.