mtbr member
    Aug 2013

McKenzie River Trail this week

Howdy! I have tentative plans to ride the MRT this Friday. Flying in and picking up a bike in Eugene on Thurs afternoon. I think I may have enough time for a ride Thurs late afternoon/ evening, so what would any of you suggest? Also, any tips for riding the MRT are welcomed. Still not sure how I'm going to manage a shuttle. The shuttle isn't until 9:30 am but I'd like to ride at 7am and maybe get a shuttle back to the trailhead after my ride? Thought/suggestions/tips? Thanks

mtbr member
    As far as your arrival day, call Oregon Adventures or Cog Wild in Oakridge and see when their last shuttle up to Alpine is. I can't help you on the shuttle for MRT....UBER? Lyft? See if anybody advertises a shuttle on Craigslist? I'm not saying don't do MRT because everybody should do it if they have the chance BUT the riding is better in Oakridge and on the North Umpqua to the south.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sharp7 View Post
    I think I may have enough time for a ride Thurs late afternoon/ evening, so what would any of you suggest?
    If you're renting in Eugene they should be able to get you directions to WhyPass. I'd suggest King-Castle, but...

any tips for riding the MRT are welcomed
    ... but my tip is NOT to ride the MRT, and instead ride the O'Leary shuttle ride, which starts at Horsepasture TH, rides a short segment of Olallie, then traverses O'Leary down to Castle Rock, climbs Castle Rock, and then descends King-Castle.

Link spam:
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/338...loop-imba-epic
    O'Leary Loop Trail - VisitMcKenzieRiver.com
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/o-leary-ridge/
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/castle-rock/
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/kingcastle/
    McKenzie River Trail Shuttle - McKenzie River Fun

mtbr member
    By the way, if you haven't dug into the history of this trail, it looks to me like MTBR forum posters had a big role in bringing it back to life.

I still haven't ridden it but it's on my list for this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks guys, but this trip is about riding MRT Anybody want to ride it with me Friday early? The shuttle companies I've talked to don't have an early shuttle without me paying a premium.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I just ride it as an out and back, parking at Paradise CG and riding up to Sahalie Falls. I usually ride the road for half of the climb. Definitely don't try to climb on the trail around Tamolich - climbing (or walking, in my case) that section is a PITA.

I can't even remember if the part of the trail above Sahalie is worth riding. I think it is mainly just for the scenery. Riding as I suggested makes for an epic ride that gives you all the best parts of the trail. Plus, bragging rights

Just a heads up - apparently a small section of the trail was intentionally flooded just below Carmen Reservoir. It was 3+ feet deep for a short (less than 100 feet) section. Not sure if it has cleared or not. So if the trail looks like it goes right into a lake, just pick up your bike and wade through it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the help everybody. I flew into Eugene on Thurs, picked up a bike at Life Cycle Bike Shop (highly recommend!), and went out and did a quick out and back on the lower part of MRT that night. Then on Friday, I got an early shuttle with Horse Creek Lodge (highly recommend!) to the upper trailhead, and rode the whole trail. Even the lava rock up near Long Lake (do not recommend!). Overall, excellent adventure and fun time. Also will mention that my rental bike was a Pivot Mach 429 Trail 27+ and I loved it! All around great bike.

mtbr member
    Glad you had a good time. I agree with the recommendation of Life Cycle. Paul's Bicycle Way of Life is also a great group of folks. They both do a lot to support trails in the area, as does the Horse Creek Lodge. I got a shuttle from them last year. Probably again this year but on the O'Leary Ridge ride.

Pretty sure you meant Clear Lake at the top, and yeah, the east side is kind of unforgiving. The west side is a little boring but there's a point in the NW corner of it where just after crossing Ikenick Creek that on the right day you can see Mt. Washington overlooking the lake, framed by a saddle in the local hills. It's pretty freaking awesome. Also, going on the west side means you get to cross the bridge over the headwaters, which gets you this:

McKenzie River Trail this week-img_2104.jpg