Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010

Mckenzie river trail out & back

I am in Bend for a few more days and would like to mtb McKenzie River Trail but would like to do an out and back. I do not have time to do the whole trail. 3-4 hours. Do you have any suggestions on the best way to do this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Mckenzie river trail out & back

I'd park at belknap hot springs and do out and back from there. Ride for two hours, then turn around. Excellent choice. Make sure you at least make it to Blue Pool before turning around.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the info. How long is the drive from Bend to Belknap? The shorter the drive the longer I get to ride. I was shooting for Tuesday but forecast calls for rain, so maybe Wednesday? I also want to ride from Tumalo Falls and do North Fork-Flagline.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I would start at the Trail Bridge Campground and ride up past Tamolich/Blue Pool (its stunning, don't miss it). This shortens the ride, and if you have time to keep going, the next two waterfalls are also beautiful.

This would give you a portion of the Lower Trail and the lava of the Upper Trail, with several good sightseeing spots.

EDIT: If you can arrange for a shuttle, the whole trail is doable in under 4 hours if you push.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I will usually park at Paradise CG and ride up from there. I would much rather get the climb out of the way first. Do the first part on the trail, then jump on the road for the second part of the climb. Going up through the lava rock sections is a pain IMHO, but others may love it. I would pick up the trail at Sahalie Falls. You don't get the entire trail this way, but it offers plenty of lava rock and swoopy green forest.

Definitely don't miss Flagline if you haven't done it before

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Trailhead or Trail Bridge campground down to the parking lot past blue pool and then back. That is the best parts of the trail and only takes 3 hrs at a very mellow pace. The rest of the trail down river from the Blue Pool parking lot is all kinda smooth and boring in my opinion.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    I don't think I can make it tomorrow. I will try again for Wed. Tomorrow will be North Fork, Flagline, South Fork.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Well i am not going to get to do Mckenzie but i did get out and did North Fork, Windigo, Flagline, South Fork, and a few others. Got a bit of weather ranging from sun to hail. Had to stop every 5-feet to take pics of some awesome views. It was great. A road ride tomorrow and off to Mammoth. Thanks for your replies.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclebillpdx View Post
    I'd park at belknap hot springs and do out and back from there. Ride for two hours, then turn around. Excellent choice. Make sure you at least make it to Blue Pool before turning around.
    Blue pool is a must see...if you ever get the time you have to ride the whole trail, it was amazing and the community of bikers was phenomenal. Good luck and enjoy