Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Mckenzie river trail with one car

i am going to be riding the trail this July with my wife and trying to figure out how to get this done with one car i see cogwild dose shuttles but they are expensive and from Eugene we plan on camping in the area around the trail any suggestions?

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishei1
    i am going to be riding the trail this July with my wife and trying to figure out how to get this done with one car i see cogwild dose shuttles but they are expensive and from Eugene we plan on camping in the area around the trail any suggestions?
    One car trick: park at the lower trailhead. Ride to the top, around Clear Lake. Then ride back down to your car. Done.

Camp at Paradise Campground (near lower TH) or Trailbridge Reservoir (midway) or at Coldwater Cove on Clear Lake (top).

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I will be doing an out and back this Friday.I prefer this over the "other" way.I have typically had a fine time camping at Paradise CG.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    One car trick: park at the lower trailhead. Ride to the top, around Clear Lake. Then ride back down to your car. Done.

Camp at Paradise Campground (near lower TH) or Trailbridge Reservoir (midway) or at Coldwater Cove on Clear Lake (top).

--sParty
    uhhhh...we agree! I was first though!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Full MRT out and back is a long day

The advice from Sparty and Poppa obviously works if you are up for a 50+mile day. The lower bits of the MRT are pretty darn easy, but the 5 miles around Blue Pool gets fairly techy. If you guys are not looking for 50 miles of singletrack and want to see the trail and have a nice time I would suggest not doing the whole out and back unless you are used to spending 8+ hours in your saddle. I know plenty of folks that get whipped by riding the MRT as a shuttled affair.

If it is a weekend day you might be fine driving to the top, riding the trail, and hitching a ride with other bikers. Maybe not though. If only one of you is up for a longer day it only takes about 2 hours to ride the road back up to the top at a reasonable pace. Sort of a buzz kill though.

You might try posting here closer to your trip to see if anyone else planning on shuttling is in the same situation that you are.

I got nothin'

Here's another option

This guy is running a new shuttle service at MRT. I have never used his services so i can't vouch for him. http://mckenzierivertrail.com/index....FUgaQgodIEPCBw
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Calm like a Bomb
    I would also considering hitching a ride back up...there are many friendly bikers out there and plenty of people driving back up. Last year the shuttle wasnt running on sunday and the shuttle guy told us just to find a ride its easy...sure enough right when we got out of the trail..we barely had to ask and 5 minutes later had a ride back up

juan
    I've hitched it several times. I was usually coming from Sisters, so i'd drop off bikes and riders at top, drive to the bottom, and get a ride within 15 minutes. Wear your helmet so you look like a biker. This way you already got the shuttle end covered and you can enjoy the ride.

Tree Hugger
    I've hitch hiked from the Ranger station a bunch of times. So long as you're wearing bike clothes, you'll probably get picked up pretty quick. You just want to time it right so that there is steady flow of cars heading over the pass. Friday afternoons are an ideal time.

Mckenzie Mtn Resort shuttles are a reasonable deal if you won't hitch a ride.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    An out and back from trail bridge makes for a nice ride if you don't want to deal with hitching.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity
    An out and back from trail bridge makes for a nice ride if you don't want to deal with hitching.
    Yup, camp there. Ride up and back one day, down and back the next.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    thanks for all the tips looks like i will be hitching it or giving Mckenzie Mtn Resort shuttles a call. but will not be doing the whole 50 mile thing hell I'm training just to do it one direction let alone both ways lol. i am fine with hitching and had already been wondering if that was fairly common there but i have a feeling the wife will want to shuttle. thanks again and i will post a few days before we ride see if anyone else is headed out that way it will be some time between July 9-23

Singletrack Addict
    I just hitched a ride yesterday.

Unfortunately it was because I had to bail due to a broken frame.

I've also hitched a ride when keys were lost for the shuttle vehicle at the bottom (twice!--stubborn I guess).

The helmet tip is solid.

(I've also hitched intentionally.)
    Last edited by Snake Muesl; 05-17-2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Me grammar not so well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    Unfortunately it was because I had to bail due to a broken frame.
    I hope that wasn't your new bike. Bummed for you if it was.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    thanks for all the tips looks like i will be hitching it or giving Mckenzie Mtn Resort shuttles a call. but will not be doing the whole 50 mile thing hell I'm training just to do it one direction let alone both ways lol. i am fine with hitching and had already been wondering if that was fairly common there but i have a feeling the wife will want to shuttle. thanks again and i will post a few days before we ride see if anyone else is headed out that way it will be some time between July 9-23

I have used the Mckenzie Mtn resort shuttle twice, well worth the $25 a piece. the advantage of them over cog wild is they pick you up at the bottom so you can take your time back to the car. a group of us will be riding mrt the third week in july so post again maybe we can work something out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sorry about the bike Snake.Was it the new one?

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1
    Sorry about the bike Snake.Was it the new one?
    I'll allay y'all's fears... Charlie's new bike isn't built yet.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Singletrack Addict
    I'll allay y'all's fears... Charlie's new bike isn't built yet.

--sParty

True.

I just wanna ride my bike
    thanks again and i will post a few days before we ride see if anyone else is headed out that way it will be some time between July 9-23
    A bunch of us micro-brew lovin' Canucks will be riding the MRT on July 18; you're welcome to join us.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH
    A bunch of us micro-brew lovin' Canucks will be riding the MRT on July 18; you're welcome to join us.
    Damn... that's the day after MBO -- and my vacation -- ends.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    might have to take you up on that TheotherH its always fun riding with a local i know i try to do the same when i see out of towners around here

Damn... that's the day after MBO -- and my vacation -- ends.

--sParty
    That is a darn damn; you could get lost on the way home and be delayed a day
    We are taking advantage of the fact that MRT is only about an hour away from Oakridge cause once we get back home, MRT is a heck of a lot further away.

might have to take you up on that TheotherH its always fun riding with a local...
    We're "north of the 49th parallel" friendly locals . My SO and I have ridden MRT previously; the rest of our group will be newbs to this great trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Can always ride up the highway and back down the trail. Not as fun as an out and back all on the trail, but the highway climb is a pleasant way to warm up and start the ride

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH
    I plan on joining you and will have a van to help with a self-shuttle.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast