WWW.CYCLEVOLUTION.COM
    Jan 2009

McKenzie River trail group ride. (save on shuttle)

My girlfriend and I are on a roadtrip from Florida and don't want to miss McKenzie River Trail while we are in the area. We checked into the Shuttle through Cog Wild but is was very expensive and there aren't any openings. Anyone interested in riding that trail and saving on the shuttle? We are available from July 23-24 and August 15-16.

Check out our roadtrip thread HERE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala
    My girlfriend and I are on a roadtrip from Florida and don't want to miss McKenzie River Trail while we are in the area. We checked into the Shuttle through Cog Wild but is was very expensive and there aren't any openings. Anyone interested in riding that trail and saving on the shuttle? We are available from July 23-24 and August 15-16.

I'm sure you know that McKenzie doesn't absolutely require a shuttle to be enjoyed, I actually prefer not to shuttle it any more since I get to ride my favorite sections twice if I ride out and back while skipping my least favorite sections.

WWW.CYCLEVOLUTION.COM
    Jan 2009
    Whats your preferred loop? Where do you start from? As much informations as possible is greatly appreciated.

Making fat cool since '71
    I like the technical riding...not the golf-cart path wide lower sections so I tend to prefer to ride out/back from Traidbridge Resevoir to Clear Lake. It's pretty and fun.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

it means 'no problem'
    But the whole package is a thing in itself! Shuttle it if you can, heck with dozegize! :-) It's fun to rally some big-ring single track after a tech beat down up top!

I thought Cog Wild's shuttle was affordable, once there's a good posse aboard because it's a per van price, not per person... am I wrong?
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    I like the technical riding...not the golf-cart path wide lower sections so I tend to prefer to ride out/back from Traidbridge Resevoir to Clear Lake. It's pretty and fun.

Brock...
    The lower part was like road riding. The upper part was pretty good. A very pretty trail.

mtbr member
    I prefer to start a little lower than Trailbridge at the hotsprings, it gives a bit more of the flowy singletrack than starting at trailbridge. Route is up trail around clear lake and back, the distance ends up being about the same as doing the shuttle but without all the shuttle hassles.

mtbr member
    May 2004

As noted before...

Harbicks Country Store at the bottom will shuttle you up. $45 bucks. Smokin' deal if you can divide it by 4 but still great if for just the two of you. (Or, wait a bit and I am sure some others in like need will show up to share.) And, wonderfully non-healthy but so rewarding eats there upon your return.

Here's the number, etc...

http://www.highcountryexpeditions.co...try_store.html

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Harbicks Country Store at the bottom will shuttle you up. $45 bucks. Smokin' deal if you can divide it by 4 but still great if for just the two of you. (Or, wait a bit and I am sure some others in like need will show up to share.) And, wonderfully non-healthy but so rewarding eats there upon your return.

Here's the number, etc...

http://www.highcountryexpeditions.co...try_store.html

Now, not getting nit-pickey here, but does Harbick's have a Forest Service Special Use Permit for that? Commercial use on (or accessing) FS administered land requires a permit. It (unfortunately) is one of the costs of being a legitimate operator. Those who do go to the trouble of being legitimate have several layers of bureaucracy to contend with, minor things like Oregon Outfitter Guide licensing, O/G Insurance, First Aid requirements, etc. I recommend supporting those who are doing it right - IF you decide to do the shuttle...
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    ... the distance ends up being about the same as doing the shuttle but without all the shuttle hassles.
    You left out "and a tad more climbing".

mtbr member
    Since when is dropping someone off on the side of a state highway considered:

Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie
    Commercial use on (or accessing) FS administered land requires a permit.
    ??
    2008 Heckler

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996cc
    Since when is dropping someone off on the side of a state highway considered:

??

I didn't make this stuff up:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/specialuses/spe...rectives.shtml
    Last edited by sans soucie; 07-24-2009 at 12:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you are fit for 25-30 miles of singletrack you gotta do the whole thing. Techy up top. Bottom section is fast flowy river singletrack, not sure what kind of roads Jaybo rides on... or maybe he got lost and rode the paved road back down. You get some of the most beautiful scenery around and see the river grow from nothing to some serious flow. For me its worth the extra planning (or $$ or thumbing a ride) to get a shuttle together and make a day of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala
    Anyone interested in riding that trail and saving on the shuttle? We are available from July 23-24 and August 15-16.

3 of us are driving out there from Chicago, and from my estimates, will be hitting MRT (after some riding in Ketchum/Boise) around the 13-14th. if we actually end up there the 15th ill let you know. after that were driving up to Vancouver for some North Shore.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Bike n Hike bike shops will be hosting an out-and-back from the bottom trailhead August 15, if anyone is interested in a non-shuttle option. Ride starts at 10:30 that day, and we'll probably be doing about 10miles out for a 20-miler total.
    more info is at www.bikenhike.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    McKenzie River Mountain Resort is offering a shuttle service - they are not far from the bottom of the trail. They charge $25 a person - min 2 people and $15 per additional people in the same group. They go by appointment. 541-822-6272 www.McKenzieRiverTrail.com