Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

McKenzie River Trail

I don't know why I care, but I really want to know if anyone else besides me thinks that the McKenzie River Trail is completely not what it is hyped up to be?

I want to hear your top reason for why it is, or why its is not. And maybe skill level and what you ride the most. i.e. XC, DH, AM, etc...

Could turn into a good debate while it is deep under the white stuff...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokie496
    I don't know why I care, but I really want to know if anyone else besides me thinks that the McKenzie River Trail is completely not what it is hyped up to be?

I want to hear your top reason for why it is, or why its is not. And maybe skill level and what you ride the most. i.e. XC, DH, AM, etc...

Depends on the hype you choose to listen to.

Good trail? Yes.
    Worth traveling to to ride? Yes.
    Best trail in Oregon? Not really.

Really depends on what you want from a trail.

I have been on mtbs since 1983. First rode MRT in '84 or '85.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

meatier showers
    Personally, I like it, but some sections more than others. I tend to ride singlespeed more than anything else and MRT is not a great singlespeed trail, although it works. The lower section (below Trailbridge Res.) is too smooth for a low gear so I find myself spinning out down there. The lava section is great on a singlespeed but if I'm geared correctly there, the bottom section is no fun.

So actually I like my geared FS best on MRT, and I love to test my skills in the techy stuff and then fly near the bottom, which I refer to as "the rhythm section."

I look at MRT as what it is... at least to me. I live about an hour away so it's a simply another singletrack resource, not a worldwide destination. There are other trails I like better, but MRT is unique and I love it for what it is.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

singletrack bound
    I rode the MRT for the first time this last fall and it was a fun ride. Camped at Paradise Campground(we were the only one's in there/campground was closing that weekend) and had the wife shuttle me up the highway to the trailhead just above Clear Lake. I rode solo and took the trail around the east shore of Clear Lake. I was riding on a 29er SS and while the trail was relatively tame, it was fun none the less.It is what it is, but it's no NUT or MFW in my opinion.
    Last edited by Tone No Balone; 12-11-2009 at 10:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am always curious what the magazines use as their criteria for the top trail in America. Or maybe I am just spoiled and have been to Whistler one too many times...

mtbr member
    I like the MRT, not every trail is for everybody. I personally don't care for Surveyors Ridge much, but a lot of people rave about it, I still ride it once a year though.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    I like the MRT, not every trail is for everybody. I personally don't care for Surveyors Ridge much, but a lot of people rave about it, I still ride it once a year though.
    I haven't ridden Surveyor's for a couple of years. When it's ripe, I like the higher fruit.

I try and ride the McKenzie River at least once a year. I first rode the McRT in 1988 on a rigid hardtail and I rode it often. I marveled when I first met someone who had done the whole thing as an out and back. Wow. That seemed huge. 54 miles of singletrack. (And he took LTD public bus from Eugene to McKenzie Bridge.) Cool!

Having first ridden the McKenzie on a rigid hardtail and later on front suspension I set out to ride the whole thing out and back. What once seemed insurmountable to me became an annual rite. I beat myself up doing that ride on a short-travel hardtail that, even with a suspension seat post, left a mark. It was this trail, this ride that inspired me to step up to a full-suspension (more or less) all mountain rig. Or what I like to call a "McKenzie Bike."

It's 6 hours round-trip from Portland in the van and takes me about 8 hours on the bike to ride that 54 mile out and back, an acceptable ratio of drive time v ride time. It's worth it to me. As others have said, not the best in Oregon, but it's not designated a National Wild and Scenic River for nothing.
    Last edited by Snake Muesl; 12-13-2009 at 10:58 PM.

mtbr member
    My 2 cents, any trail that I'm able to ride is a great one!

Tree Hugger
    MRT is the Bees Knees.
    MRT can walk on water.
    MRT is your new bicycle.
    MRT is able to leap tall building in a single bound.
    MRT drives a Hybrid.
    MRT had sex with Tiger Woods
    MRT fed the hungry.
    MRT was voted Most Likely to Succeed in High School.
    MRT rides Fixie.
    MRT orchestrated 9/11.
    MRT won an actor for Best Screenplay.
    Yo Sasquatch, Imma let you finish but MRT is the best trail ever!
    MRT Saves.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

meatier showers
    Hey Snake, the wikipedia link you supplied shows a photo of "Cougar Dam on the McKenzie River." How weird. Cougar Dam is not on the McKenzie River. I've never seen such a glaring mistake on wikipedia.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Ummm, I hate to seem like a "jacka$$", but Cougar dam IS on the south fork of the McKenzie river. The picture is pulled from the Army Corps of Engineers website. and is confirmed by paper maps and google earth.

meatier showers
    Huh... interesting. Well, this mistake was certainly not MY most glaring! Anyway I've always known that stretch of river as the Roaring River, flowing north from Box Canyon along Aufderheide National Scenic Byway. In fact, here's an excerpt from OregonLive's website of Oregon's ten best cycling routes, wherein they describe that river as Roaring River:

7) Aufderheide National Scenic Byway
    This section of the West Cascades Scenic Byway between Oakridge and the McKenzie River valley near Rainbow is as bike-friendly as any road in Oregon. It features up-close views of the Willamette National Forest and miles of riding through old-growth trees. ... From Westfir, the road climbs steadily to a 3,600-foot summit at the Box Canyon Camp. The afternoon's reward is a thrilling descent along Roaring River and past Cougar Reservoir. "Aufderheide," by the way, is not the German word for cool bike route. Robert Aufderheide was the Willamette National Forest Supervisor in the 1950s.
    Difficult/6 hours

Anyway, I stand corrected. Thanks.

--Sparty

http://www.oregonlive.com/cycling/in...rides_for.html
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Making fat cool since '71
    CheeseN-Rice...all this fuss for a trail that's 50% mountain bike single-track and 50% wheelchair accessible walking path.

Brock...

PS: I'm supposed to add: your experience may vary.
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    It is the best trail in Oregon..............until you ride NUT, or Alpine, or

It was fun the first two times I rode it, then I only went when friends visited from out of town, as they also read the mags that say it is the best.

Mentioning Whistler is not fair, it's like having a nice swingset in your backyard, but saying you would rather be at Disneyland .

Of course, now that I'm in the Rockies, I could through out some good trails for ya

Now get a job out here Smokie, need someone to ride with again already!

Singletrack Addict
    I thought it was wierd too, but in my drunken haste did not question the great Wikipedia.

Turns out it is technically the South Fork of the McKenzie, but still too bad they couldn't come up with a better, more representative photo. Like a mountain biker snaking down through the lava near Tamolitch Falls.

mtbr member

Is any trail what it gets hyped up as in the rags? It's the nature of hype, hype builds on hype.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    OK I'll bite
    I've ridden that trail countless times, until about three years ago...never during the daylight. Kind of funny to ride something during the day and recognize things from the night. Keep in mind, all those times ridden before......middle of the 80's, rigid of course. Best trail in Oregon? definitely not. But all that hype about it has brought many a rider here to ride and check it out, and traveled around to find other stuff. Surely a must do, once a year depending on the number of out-of-town guests one has, on a geared hard tail. As others have pointed out, it's single track....a lot of it mind you...and it's open for us to ride. YEAH!!
    Don't play into hype...like Brand-one mentioned......lower your expectations and enjoy being able to ride legal open trail.
    Funny you should mention Whistler, my most favorite place to ride for sure!!! Now you know my preference of riding type, but I live in the Willamette Valley so I ride every type.

Eric

Making fat cool since '71
    Quote Originally Posted by Pintpedaler
    OK I'll bite
    Now you know my preference of riding type...

Eric
    You haven't ridden an MTB in what, a year though?

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    SHUSSHHH!!
    People don't have to know that! These are forums, riding isn't part of the deal is it? I don't tell people when I ride, it's funny though the number of people that have seen me riding and said sort of that very thing....wow, wasn't sure if you rode or not. Great...now they know. Thanks

Eric

highly visible
    Maybe not the best trail in Oregon, certainly not by itself worth a trip from the other end of the country, but echoing the above I don't need to ride "the best of the best" every time I ride to have a good time. MRT is still a very nice trail along a fantastic river. I don't feel compelled to ride it every year, but I enjoy it when I do ride it.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    Is any trail what it gets hyped up as in the rags? It's the nature of hype, hype builds on hype.
    Whistler exceeds the hype, by far. That place is mind boggling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Dope!

This is exactly what I wanted this thread to turn into. Just a bunch of babble from way too many points of view! I love it.

First of all, I would love a job in the front range, i would move tomorrow, second of all, WHISTLER IS VERY FAIR!!!!!!! mmmmmmm........ whistler....... Just gave the 303 a bath today!

But here is my take, the MRT should be designated as the "Best Trail To Look Off Of The Trail" trail... Then it would be exactly right.

We need more people to chime in, and how about if you could do one trail and one trail only in OR, which would it be?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    ...how about if you could do one trail and one trail only in OR, which would it be?
    Depends on what you are looking for (same criteria as rating the MRT).

If a 303 is your favored bike, my choice would not be what you would want.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dope!

This is exactly what I wanted this thread to turn into. Just a bunch of babble from way too many points of view! I love it.

First of all, I would love a job in the front range, i would move tomorrow, second of all, WHISTLER IS VERY FAIR!!!!!!! mmmmmmm........ whistler....... Just gave the 303 a bath today!

But here is my take, the MRT should be designated as the "Best Trail To Look Off Of The Trail" trail... Then it would be exactly right.

We need more people to chime in, and how about if you could do one trail and one trail only in OR, which would it be?
    You sound like a jock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sorry, that post was replying to a couple people who will know what the nonsense is referring too. So good call on the sounding like a jock.

The one trail you would ride in regards to your own criteria. Would MRT be anyone's one trail?

303 is always the favored bike, but its my race bike, I have a trail bike that I ride. I am not comparing MRT to DH trails. This thread was specifically for trail riding...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast