mtb'er

McKenzie River: dispersed camp spot?

After MBO this weekend, I'm headed to the McKenzie River trail area Sunday night for full run of MRT on Monday. Anyone have a dispersed camp spot they don't mind directing me to? Feel free to PM me if you'd like to keep it a secret. Always like a good swimming hole, waterfall, hotspring...

If the normal campgrounds are usually pretty empty, that might be fine too... I gave up camping near RV's watching DirecTV and large groups partying all night a loooong time ago.

And if you're ever in the greater Lake Tahoe area, I'd be happy to hook you up with awesome suggestions for killer off-the-beaten-path camp spots in exchange!

Thanks,
    Jeff

The dude with the 'tude
    I rode about 11.5 miles up MRT 1 1/2 weeks ago for the first time (just bought mtb) - nice ride! Water is COOOOOLD!

I've been wanting to get back to South Tahoe to ride. I rented a bike there a few years ago for half a day - rode into... Hidden Lake? To the lodge at the far end. Also have some extra money to give to Harrah's.
    I'm not into a lot of climbing or downhill type stuff, I just liked riding out through the woods, over giant pine cones, logs and things.

mtbr member
    Fasall Crossing, (sp?) it's about 4 1/2-5 miles up, first bridge to cross the main river after Belknap Hot Springs. it's a pretty good disperse camping spot.

There are hot springs at Deer Creek bridge as well, but I've never camped there.

The campgrounds this time of year are pretty packed, usually.

There is a lot of disperse camping all over in the area, but if you are going to run it I would start towards the bottom and go up and back, at least that is what I have done, and camping at Fasall would give you a good chance to do that.

Of course camping at Belknap isn't bad, but it does have a fair share of RV's....
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by General Coonskins
    Fasall Crossing, (sp?) it's about 4 1/2-5 miles up, first bridge to cross the main river after Belknap Hot Springs. it's a pretty good disperse camping spot.

There are hot springs at Deer Creek bridge as well, but I've never camped there.

The campgrounds this time of year are pretty packed, usually.

There is a lot of disperse camping all over in the area, but if you are going to run it I would start towards the bottom and go up and back, at least that is what I have done, and camping at Fasall would give you a good chance to do that.

Of course camping at Belknap isn't bad, but it does have a fair share of RV's....
    Frissell Bridge... if you're heading east on Hwy 126 from Eugene, it's the first vehicle bridge over the McKenzie River after passing Belknap Springs Resort. It's probably two miles beyond the resort.

Turn left onto the bridge and cross the river. There is dispersed camping immediately after you cross the bridge, between the road and the river.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtb'er
    Thanks GC & Sparticus - we'll give 'er a look. Much appreciated.

Members who have read this thread: 4