Singletrack Addict

New question here. McKenzie Conditions

Looks like this amazing weather will hold out tomorrow. Me and a small crew are heading down to attempt one last McKenzie ride this year. What are the trail conditions like? Any snow on the upper reaches?

Singletrack Addict
    Maybe I should read the other posts first. I just read Flaps' report in the Oakridge thread.

So are these 40 trees dispersed over the length of the trail or is it a particular section?
    Is this slide area impassable?

Is it worth the three hour drive?

Thanks,
    Charlie

mtbr member

Word is...

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    Maybe I should read the other posts first. I just read Flaps' report in the Oakridge thread.

So are these 40 trees dispersed over the length of the trail or is it a particular section?
    Is this slide area impassable?

Is it worth the three hour drive?

Thanks,
    Charlie
    The word is that the section just below Trailbridge Reservoir has the 40 (or more) trees and a landslide. This comes from a friend who hiked through there just after the landslide (he heard it happen!) then he walked through it. I think the treefall was primarily in that section of trail. An examination of the map shows that the canyon turns mostly east-west in that sector, thereby exposing it to a more direct onslaught of the westerly winds.

There have been numerous windstorms recently, so who knows about other damages in the area???

Flaps

Singletrack Addict
    Word.

Thanks. Sounds like we're going to go for it anyway. Figure wind damage will be spread across the entire region, so we'll stick with the original plan.
    When I rode the McRT a month ago I remember a section with a clutser-f@k of tree-fall, but it was further down-river. Too bad too because it took out a fun S-turn.

mtbr member
    Word.

Thanks. Sounds like we're going to go for it anyway. Figure wind damage will be spread across the entire region, so we'll stick with the original plan.
    When I rode the McRT a month ago I remember a section with a clutser-f@k of tree-fall, but it was further down-river. Too bad too because it took out a fun S-turn.
    Y'all have fun out there and please post up a report of conditions. A local posse is going to the OakTucky zone tomorrow, and we'll meet up with some Bendites (coming over from Bend, does that make them Bendovers - Oops, so sorry - channeling Sparty there). Exact trail destination TBD when we coordinate at the Trailhead Cafe in the AM.

Flaps

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    Y'all have fun out there and please post up a report of conditions. A local posse is going to the OakTucky zone tomorrow, and we'll meet up with some Bendites (coming over from Bend, does that make them Bendovers - Oops, so sorry - channeling Sparty there). Exact trail destination TBD when we coordinate at the Trailhead Cafe in the AM.

Flaps
    How was the locals ride?

The McKenzie was in perfect condition. I love this trail at this time of year when you can steal a ride between rain storms and before the snow buries the upper reaches. Hoar frost crunching beneath tires is my favorite sound.

We started at the trail head outside of McKenzie Bridge and rode upriver just a mile or so beyond Tamolitch before turning around. Daylight, leg cramps and snow were all becoming factors (or would soon). Made for about 38 miles of sweet singletrack on November 24. Hard to beat that.

Looks like a lot of work has been done. Many trees had been cleared on the lower sections and the Youth Corps was out working on repairing the slide in the vicinity of Trail Bridge Reservoir. The bedrock they were chipping away at kept crumbling though and contributing to the debris field below. In other places their efforts achieved great results.

Last edited by Snake Muesl; 11-30-2007 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Try the pic thing again . . .

mtbr member
    How was the locals ride?

The McKenzie was in perfect condition. I love this trail at this time of year when you can steal a ride between rain storms and before the snow buries the upper reaches. Hoar frost crunching beneath tires is my favorite sound.

We started at the trail head outside of McKenzie Bridge and rode upriver just a mile or so beyond Tamolitch before turning around. Daylight, leg cramps and snow were all becoming factors (or would soon). Made for about 38 miles of sweet singletrack on November 24. Hard to beat that.

Looks like a lot of work has been done. Many trees had been cleared on the lower sections and the Youth Corps was out working on repairing the slide in the vicinity of Trail Bridge Reservoir. The bedrock they were chipping away at kept crumbling though and contributing to the debris field below. In other places their efforts achieved great results.
    Thanks for the update Charlie,
    We rode the up 1910 and down the lower half of Alpine - from Windy Pass back to the Office Bridge (red covered). Encountered snow on the road about 1.5-2 miles below Windy Pass, which continued sporadically on the trail for a mile or so. This made for a little excitement on some of the places with exposure, where you're giving it out to try to move forward, and suddenly the edge is coming at you quickly!
    All told a great day.

Tim

Singletrack Addict

Teaser

Shot this riding one-handed: