Thread: Mbo and ss?

mtbr member
    May 2010

Mbo and ss?

Hello,

i registered for MBO (July 14) and curious if it is SS friendly (Im in average riding shape) and not looking for long grinding uphills or should I just stick to my geared bike. The photos I've seen were with geared bikes.

Thanks,

Alan

mtbr member
    Plenty of ss riders have enjoyed mbo over the years.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks Brandon!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Congratulations on registering for MBO. It's a fantastic experience that involves three of the best Bs; bikes, beer and buddies. I hope you'll have a fantastic time and perhaps we'll see each other there.

Now to answer your question, as Brandon already has, yes, lots of people enjoy their single speeds out there and it would be easy for most anyone to enjoy one at events such as MBO. Oakridge riding tends to be long, 5+ mile uphill gravel grinds up a mountain side to a trailhead, which are effectively cut out by the MBO shuttle. Once on the trail, it undulates a bit, but mostly heads in the downhill direction. Some trails do this quicker than others. It is not a downhill ride the whole way, as there are many punches, japs and some decent uphills on the way back to the pick-up point. It's great fun. It'd be great on a single speed, however, you may get more tired after three days of amazing riding and wish you were on your geared bike. Who knows? That is up to you and your fitness level. Regardless, if you do decide to come on your SS, know that gearing low is generally perfered for most of us Oakridge riding SSers (~34x22 on 29er). Although we gear a little lower than we probably need as we're used to the long gravel climb that MBO cuts out with its excellent ride shuttling service.

However, all that being said,you probably won't ride your own bike. At least not every day. With a plenthora of demos avaialble from all sorts of major bike brands that cost the attendees of MBO absolutely nothing, you'll likely try to ride a fancy Ibis or Pivot instead of limiting yourself to your own bike.

From personal experience; on most trails in Oakridge, I prefer a 5-6" FS. But that's me. I've had loads of fun on many a bikes there however, from rigid SS 29er to 8" DH bike. Your miles may vary.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Mr. Baker, thanks for the response, I have a much better idea what to expect. Cheers!

Making fat cool since '71
    These two cats have pretty much covered it.

I don't know if you looked at the trails page on MBO's site (The Trails | Mountain Bike Oregon), but the elevation gain/loss for the trails done the MBO way are there. Nothing says you can't bring two bikes...unless you're flying and then that would be hairball. My climbing "ability" (term used loosely) is the stuff of depressingly slow legends and I've ridden all the rides at MBO SS...but I prefer my gears...I actually LOVE my gears. FWIW, my go-to rig is a low/slack big fork'd hardtail. Don't put too much effort into which bike you bring. You'll have fun no matter what. Bring the bike you're most comfortable on, some snacks, sense of adventure and you'll be dialed for the weekend.

I'll see you there.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Multiple guides at MBO are on SS. It's a great place for one. Demo a longer travel bike for Lawler/Hardesty though. Not because you "need" one, but rather because those trails are more fun with more speed!

mtbr member
    I love riding a SS, but when I go to Oakridge, I bring my geared FS bike. Like Thorkild said, the trails are fast, and IMO, a geared FS bike seems like the right tool for the job.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    great, thanks for the feedback...looking fwd to getting up there and riding.